News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Megaman the Wily Wars Sram+  (Read 2120 times)

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
Megaman the Wily Wars Sram+
« on: January 21, 2018, 10:31:53 pm »
Around a year ago a user uploaded a hack of Megaman the Wily Wars that fixed the games movement delay. It was an awesome hack, but was removed because of a game breaking glitch that froze the game in multiple locations. At least I think that's why it was removed, it sort of just vanished one day. Anyway, I attempted to replicate his/her hack to find out what was wrong and could not get it work. I gave up the project and stuffed it in my archive folders and it sat there for months. Just earlier today however I got the motivation to try again and I found out EXACTLY WHAT WENT WRONG. I figured it out when I attempted to patch the cheat (using GG guy) to a clean rom and got an incorrect checksum. The cheat only works when patched through hex. Sorry if I'm rambling, but this names me happy beyond words. I was going to simply upload the hack (since it's basically finished) but I decided that just to be safe, I would like to have it bug tested by you guys. Again the hack has no reason not to function properly, but just to be safe I want to bug test it before upload.

TLDR I fixed the Wily Wars movement delay issues and am extremely overjoyed, but want it bug tested before I upload it.

CHANGES
-Sram fix by motzilla, pm me if you don't want it included.
-Movement delay is fixed! Now it plays just like the nes original.
-Bullet speed is 67% faster, also just like the NES originals.
-You can slide in MM1 and MM2
-Magnet beam has 2x as much ammo, I can remove this if you guys don't like it but I thought it was a welcome change.

Patch is here:
https://mega.nz/#!R3JD1CoY!uQ_sCD5P22wQa1EoMQOopB3mSGMnMzJuo4D-VZZc23c

If you find a bug, tell me what emulator you were using and how you triggered it. Be as detailed as possible. Enjoy!

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Re: Megaman the Wily Wars Sram+
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:15:15 am »
Around a year ago a user uploaded a hack of Megaman the Wily Wars that fixed the games movement delay. It was an awesome hack, but was removed because of a game breaking glitch that froze the game in multiple locations. At least I think that's why it was removed, it sort of just vanished one day.
That patch made the game unplayable, specifically, in MM3 when you beat a Robot Master, the game just didn't progress.

Haven't encountered a bug, which is great. The fast plasma shots are cool. I even applied it on my hack and its compatible to say the least :thumbsup:

Just a nitpick from the original game, when using Rush Marine you can only do single shots, you can't shoot 2 or 3 shots successively. Maybe there's a fix to that?

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 03:21:05 pm »
That patch made the game unplayable, specifically, in MM3 when you beat a Robot Master, the game just didn't progress.

Haven't encountered a bug, which is great. The fast plasma shots are cool. I even applied it on my hack and its compatible to say the least :thumbsup:

Just a nitpick from the original game, when using Rush Marine you can only do single shots, you can't shoot 2 or 3 shots successively. Maybe there's a fix to that?
The boss rush teleport stations froze the game as well. I'll see what I can do about rush marine, but it only shows up once in the entire game (twice if you count mega water s, but that's optional) so it's not a priority.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 03:53:40 pm »
Since this patch fixes the game breaking glitch from the previous version, will you upload it directly to the Romhacking Page of the one released or make a new entry?
That is, once it has been confirmed as working from start to finish of course.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 04:53:06 pm »
Since this patch fixes the game breaking glitch from the previous version, will you upload it directly to the Romhacking Page of the one released or make a new entry?
That is, once it has been confirmed as working from start to finish of course.
The original hack was removed, so I guess I'll make a new entry. The only thing I still need to test is the boss rush teleporters which also broke in the original patch. It SHOULD work fine, but I just want to be sure. Other then that this is pretty much done.

There's 2 more things I want to do, but I don't know if they'd be welcome changes. I would like to make it so Megaman can have 5 bullets on screen instead of 3. This isn't accurate to the original, but makes the game flow better and doesn't cause any extra slowdown from what I've tested. The other thing I want to do is make it so you can replay stages in MM2, MM3, and Wily Tower. I have no clue how I'd do this (since the other hacks were simply cheats applied to the game through both hex and GG Guy) but I want to try any way.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 07:29:22 pm »
I would like to make it so Megaman can have 5 bullets on screen instead of 3. This isn't accurate to the original, but makes the game flow better and doesn't cause any extra slowdown from what I've tested.
Just make an optional patch on the same submission. Doesn't hurt to have options.

Will you make patches for the Japan version as well?

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 08:09:43 pm »
Why did you include the slide in MM1 & MM2? Cool feature, but changes the original gameplay. Pretty sure there's a game genie code to enable sliding in MM1/2 so no need to add that option.
One small step for man,
one giant leap for mankind. -Neil Armstrong

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 08:25:25 pm »
Why did you include the slide in MM1 & MM2? Cool feature, but changes the original gameplay. Pretty sure there's a game genie code to enable sliding in MM1/2 so no need to add that option.
Because I didn't see any reason not to, since the slide doesn't break any bosses or levels. It just adds a new potential strategy that can be used on bosses. It actually IS the game genie cheat, just patched in with GG Guy for ease of use.

Just make an optional patch on the same submission. Doesn't hurt to have options.

Will you make patches for the Japan version as well?
That's actually a good idea, what if I just make the slide, extra magnet beam ammo, faster fire rate, and 5 bullets on screen at once separate patches? That way, if somebody doesn't like a specific feature they can just choose not to apply it.

I'll see what I can do about the JP version.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 09:33:31 pm »
I'm only waiting for a Protoman sprite Fix. I don't want him to be a midget. Zynk? Anyone?

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 10:10:17 pm »
I'm only waiting for a Protoman sprite Fix. I don't want him to be a midget. Zynk? Anyone?
Him and Dr Light both look really strange because the sprites weren't redesigned to fit the different resolution, and instead sort of just drawn over. There are a few other inconsistencies as well, like protoman doesn't have his mask in the normal stages. It's not like they just didn't make the break man sprite, he DOES have his mask in the fight before Wily Castle. They just chose not to use it for what ever reason.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 11:39:52 pm »
Proto Man never has his mask on when fighting him in the vanilla Mega Man 3. My memory might be faulty, but I think that might be something Zynk added when working on Roll Chan 3. I'd have to play it again to check, though.

What they did change inexplicably, though, is the part in the ending where Proto Man shows up to save Mega Man. Instead of using the "shadow" sprites from the original game, they just use the normal Proto Man sprites with a blue palette, which looks weird. There are actually sprites for this in the game, they're just never loaded. Why? Who knows?

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 01:05:57 am »
Maybe a better idea to fix the graphics in this game is to make it look more like the Mega Man 1 (NES) - 30th Anniversary 16-bit Graphics hack that AxlRock released last month.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:49:30 am by SCD »

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 10:01:13 am »
Proto Man never has his mask on when fighting him in the vanilla Mega Man 3. My memory might be faulty, but I think that might be something Zynk added when working on Roll Chan 3. I'd have to play it again to check, though.

What they did change inexplicably, though, is the part in the ending where Proto Man shows up to save Mega Man. Instead of using the "shadow" sprites from the original game, they just use the normal Proto Man sprites with a blue palette, which looks weird. There are actually sprites for this in the game, they're just never loaded. Why? Who knows?
The shadow sprites don't look very good, maybe even a little worse than the regular sprites. The proportions are just kind of weird. That could be why they chose not to use it, it could also have been time constraints.

Maybe a better idea to fix the graphics in this game is to make it look more like the Mega Man 1 (NES) - 30th Anniversary 16-bit Graphics hack that AxlRock released last month.
That would be quite an audacious task, and honestly not worth the effort. Wily Wars looks fine minus the awkward Proto Man sprites.

BadChad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 12:57:43 am »
Fantastic job on this hack! I love that Megaman can still inch forward like he's suppose to when tapping the D Pad, something that was no longer functional in the original hack. But would it be possible to get a separate patch with only the 3 improvements listed below to keep things more true to the original? Would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Sram fix by motzilla
-Movement delay is fixed! Now it plays just like the nes original.
-Bullet speed is 67% faster, also just like the NES originals.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 06:43:03 am »
That would be quite an audacious task, and honestly not worth the effort. Wily Wars looks fine minus the awkward Proto Man sprites.

Alright, it's no big deal.

I found these custom Wily Wars style sprites of Proto Man on deviantART, maybe someone can add them into the game:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 07:46:41 am by SCD »

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 09:11:44 am »
Alright, it's no big deal.

I found these custom Wily Wars style sprites of Proto Man on deviantART, maybe someone can add them into the game:

The fact that that sprite eats up a lot of tiles compared to the one used in the game.

And this is way off-topic. The Protoman brigade should stop now  :laugh:

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 09:51:36 am »
Yeah, fixing Protoman is going to be a bit more involved than just editing the graphics.
The tile maps will have to be changed too.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 10:21:16 am »
Yeah, it would probably be a nightmare to change up a bunch of the coding of this game just to add new sprites to it.

I just never understand why Capcom kept most of the sprites in their original NES format instead of updating them like they did with some of the other sprites in this game.

I know they are notorious of recycling sprites in a lot of their games (especially Capcom vs. SNK 2), I just kinda wish they put more effort into this game.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 03:01:55 pm »
Yeah, it would probably be a nightmare to change up a bunch of the coding of this game just to add new sprites to it.

I just never understand why Capcom kept most of the sprites in their original NES format instead of updating them like they did with some of the other sprites in this game.

I know they are notorious of recycling sprites in a lot of their games (especially Capcom vs. SNK 2), I just kinda wish they put more effort into this game.
It was probably time constraints, they DID put a lot of work into the rest of them. Megaman himself is animated really nicely, and everything is really faithful in terms of presentation. I could even goes as far as to say I like some of the music tracks. Key word some. Tracks like Spark Man, Needle Man, Shadow Man, Bubble Man, and the MM2 intro theme sound great with the Genesis instruments. Others like Wood Man, Quick Man, Electric Man, and MM1's Wily Castle don't sound bad, but lack a lot of the energy the 8 bit versions had.

DJPlace

• my reaction to everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 09:57:53 pm »
i heard of this hack before.... is it the one that always saving? or am i thinking of a different one.