News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Megaman the Wily Wars Sram+  (Read 12102 times)

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
Re: Megaman the Wily Wars Sram+
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 11:57:02 pm »
I would like a version with all your changes, instead of multiple patchs

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 09:12:14 am »
I would like a version with all your changes, instead of multiple patchs
Well that's a given, but I want to include optional patches without the changes.
i heard of this hack before.... is it the one that always saving? or am i thinking of a different one.
That's Motzilla's sram hack, and is included here.

BadChad

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 04:45:51 pm »
Well that's a given, but I want to include optional patches without the changes.

This is probably the best option. Have a patch that has everything ready to do for those who want the patches in their entirety, and separate ones that will allow people to piece together the patches they prefer. I personally only want to apply patches that will adjust the game to be more like the originals (SRAM, Shooting Speed, and Movement Speed) so I welcome this approach!

Waterfaller

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 08:56:33 pm »
Does this also remedy slowdown during gameplay?

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 06:20:54 am »
This is probably the best option. Have a patch that has everything ready to do for those who want the patches in their entirety, and separate ones that will allow people to piece together the patches they prefer. I personally only want to apply patches that will adjust the game to be more like the originals (SRAM, Shooting Speed, and Movement Speed) so I welcome this approach!
Also, Lunar IPS optional patch format so you can apply patches you want to use over each other.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 08:21:54 am »
I've split the rom into two separate versions, the only differences between the two are that Faithful doesn't let you slide in MM1&2, shoot 5 shots at once or give you more magnet beam ammo thus staying closer to the original. See "read me" for full change log.

https://mega.nz/#!tmQ2magS!NTaCWxw07MHZp_BG6Ew0yhrXnQ0Kj_7sNPE6nkyPDno

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 12:07:11 pm »
I've split the rom into two separate versions, the only differences between the two are that Faithful doesn't let you slide in MM1&2, shoot 5 shots at once or give you more magnet beam ammo thus staying closer to the original. See "read me" for full change log.

I am getting patching errors with both BPS files using Beat, the previous v0.04 BPS in the OP didn't have this issue.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 03:50:33 pm »
I am getting patching errors with both BPS files using Beat, the previous v0.04 BPS in the OP didn't have this issue.
Which version are you trying to use?

Also, I'm almost finished testing. Megaman 1 and 3 are confirmed to be fully working from start to finish, and I'm near the end of 2.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 04:20:39 pm »
Which version are you trying to use?

Also, I'm almost finished testing. Megaman 1 and 3 are confirmed to be fully working from start to finish, and I'm near the end of 2.
You mean version of beat or the hack?
The version of beat I am using is this one:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/

As for the version of the hack, I tried the v0.04 version posted in the OP and that one patches just fine.
It's the v0.05 version that doesn't work with "beat", the one you posted here:

Neither the Flow.bps nor the Faithful.bps work for me.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 04:26:37 pm »
You mean version of beat or the hack?
The version of beat I am using is this one:
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/

As for the version of the hack, I tried the v0.04 version posted in the OP and that one patches just fine.
It's the v0.05 version that doesn't work with "beat", the one you posted here:

Neither the Flow.bps nor the Faithful.bps work for me.

https://mega.nz/#!RvBQ2IiJ!43ufbCzYXCsEjtQNuqrhWas_nKLY31LWdDRcXYXeY20

Try this patch instead.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2018, 04:34:24 pm »
https://mega.nz/#!RvBQ2IiJ!43ufbCzYXCsEjtQNuqrhWas_nKLY31LWdDRcXYXeY20

Try this patch instead.
Oh great!
Just tested them out and beat now patches both BPS correctly without any error messages.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2018, 04:39:42 pm »
Oh great!
Just tested them out and beat now patches both BPS correctly without any error messages.
No problem! Thanks for letting me know! Megaman 2 is confirmed to be working from start to finish, now all that's left is Wily Tower.

EDIT: All right, I've successfully completed Wily Tower and can now safely confirm the game to be 100% working. This hack is officially completed and will be uploaded to the site as soon as possible. This makes me happy beyond words, Wily Wars was great game with a few big problems that made it hard to appreciate all the work that was put into it, now that those issues are fixed I can safely say this is my preferred way to play the original three nes games. With the save feature, updated graphics, remixed music (some of which I liked better then the og 8 bit themes), new boss AI, bug fixes, and extra content. I see no reason to go back to the NES versions outside of nostalgia.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:00:31 pm by Ar8temis008 »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2018, 11:23:29 am »
Congratulations! Nothing beats the satisfaction of a completed project.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2018, 10:52:26 pm »
Glad to see still W.I.P. on this series. It played only a minor role in the series, and was almost completely ignored on the Sega Genesis, along with quite a few titles. Perhaps only three buttons was off-putting, to consumers. I still shake my head at the idea of those clunky controllers in board room meetings, for later systems.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 01:39:11 pm »
The fact that that sprite eats up a lot of tiles compared to the one used in the game.

And this is way off-topic. The Protoman brigade should stop now  :laugh:

That is an actual explanation. I don't know about tiles, but this is the primary reason we can't edit Protoman? Make a tilemap from scratch just for fitting him?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2018, 02:14:16 pm »
That isn't what I would call a can't. It's more like it would require some work.
You'd have to make sure that there is space to add a new tile map and then make sure that the code points to it.

RAM space for said new tile map, as an educated guess, shouldn't be an issue as Protoman would have plenty of room since he never appears with any other enemies like any other boss.

And as far as the sprite, if you go for a more compressed look to the shield like in the original sprite it could be reduced down to 344 instead of 3444.

So, it probably can be done. It's just an issue of how much work has to go into it.
Not to mention does this even fall into the scope of THIS hack or is it worth being a hack on its own?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2018, 02:16:03 pm »
That is an actual explanation. I don't know about tiles, but this is the primary reason we can't edit Protoman? Make a tilemap from scratch just for fitting him?
Pretty much, yes.
If you notice, the current Protoman sprite is a 3x3 tile arrangement.
The proposed Protoman sprite is using a 4x4 tile arrangement.
Perhaps by making Protoman's sprite a one more tile taller, we could make a custom sprite for him based on Megaman's so that it fits and is at the same height as him.

As for the technicalities, I am not sure how much work that would be.
I don't know how the code of the game is handled, so I cannot tell if reworking the tilemap for Protoman is enough, or if modifying the sprite loading routine for him is needed.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 02:23:34 pm »
As a completely uneducated guess, I doubt that it should be necessary to alter the sprite loading routine.
I can't imagine they would program a routine that would be that inflexible.
But don't take my word for it.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 10:40:09 pm »
Glad to see still W.I.P. on this series. It played only a minor role in the series, and was almost completely ignored on the Sega Genesis, along with quite a few titles. Perhaps only three buttons was off-putting, to consumers. I still shake my head at the idea of those clunky controllers in board room meetings, for later systems.
I will always prefer the 3 button Genesis controller to the clunky 2 button NES controller. Although my controller of choice is the Sega Saturn controller.

Does this also remedy slowdown during gameplay?

MOST of it is fixed by simply running the game at 60hz. Some things like the Yellow Devil and Mecha Dragon bosses still slow down the game but it's at least playable. Apparently overclocking with Regen solves this, but I don't like Regen and wouldn't personally recommend using it since its not really worth the trade off Imo. Kega Fusion and Mednafen are my go to emulators.

I have no clue how I'd the Protoman sprites, if somebody else wants to do it, be my guest but it's outside my own capabilities right now.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 11:01:30 pm »
In case anyone would like to try this...
I've done this a few times on the NES, but never on the Genesis.
If it works in a similar fashion, then you would use a debugger to try to find the exact code that adds Protoman's tiles to VRAM.
If that can be founf then it should be fairly simple to find where the tile data is called from.
Then its only a matter of having enough space to replace the tile data.
Though, depending on how it was coded, there could be complications.