News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: How do I convert RAR files into Zip files?  (Read 540 times)

PasthorRothers

• View Profile
How do I convert RAR files into Zip files?
« on: January 21, 2018, 04:11:15 pm »
Hello, I have been trying to download the Super Mario Bros 3 Item slot hack, but when I download it, it shows up as a RAR file, I am using Lunar IPS, I need help to turn it into a Zip file so I can put it on the SMB3 rom, Anyone know how to do so? Thanks!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: How do I convert RAR files into Zip files?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 08:43:56 pm »
Your question doesn't make much sense.  If you are using Lunar IPS, then don't you want an IPS file that you can put on the SMB3 ROM?

If you want a program capable of opening .RAR files, I prefer https://www.izarc.org/ .  (Old versions used to contain adware, but current versions are adware-free.)

For more information, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rar .

This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 11:51:55 pm »
I use 7zip myself, but the point is that most programs these days that can open ZIP files can open RAR. (pretty much anything besides Windows' built-in ZIP extractor. Unless they updated that in 10, I'm still on 8.)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

PasthorRothers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 09:28:18 am »
IZarc looks pretty sketchy though...

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 11:49:53 am »
I can also vouch for 7zip, haven't looked at WinRAR since.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 12:44:11 pm »
Considering RAR is proprietary, there will be no conversion for it. You'll have to extract the contents first, then apply the patch, or use another archive container.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 01:33:38 pm »
My $2 : RAR is an awful format in pretty much every aspect and it wonders me anyone would still want to use it. I think RHDN should heavily discourage its usage and point towards ZIP or 7Z or GZIP or BZ2, all of them which are open.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 04:54:14 pm »
I'm a bit confused with the topic (just extract the rar :o), but as everyone says, 7zip is pretty much king nowadays. It can open rar, zip and of course 7zip. I use zip for my patches.

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 06:25:57 pm »
My $2 : RAR is an awful format in pretty much every aspect and it wonders me anyone would still want to use it. I think RHDN should heavily discourage its usage and point towards ZIP or 7Z or GZIP or BZ2, all of them which are open.
What's bad about it? I bought the tool years ago and still use it. Variable compression, recovery files, split archives, the GUI creates self extracting archives, repairs damage, extracts from most formats, and has customizable shell integration for every task I need.  I love it. I'm honestly wondering if there's something I'm missing?

@ PasthorRothers if you haven't already figured it out, rar and zip are just two different types of compressed file-container. The IPS patch is inside the RAR. 7-zip HERE is a very common, free program that can decompress both rar and zip.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 09:48:00 pm »
Probably the worst thing about RAR is that it is closed-source and that WinRAR requires a registration fee, which is probably bad enough from some points of view.

IZarc looks pretty sketchy though...
I've been using it for years now and I've been perfectly happy with it.  But as has been repeatedly suggested, there are a bazillion other utilities that will work just as well, so if you don't like it, feel free to find something you like.  I don't like the interface in 7-Zip at all, but there's nothing wrong with it under the hood.  (In fact, anything that opens RAR files pretty much includes the same version of unrar.dll.)
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...