News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: PCSXR is SLOW  (Read 965 times)

NERV Agent

• Fist deep into that honey pot....
    • View Profile
PCSXR is SLOW
« on: January 19, 2018, 11:27:20 pm »
Awhile back someone recommended this emulator to me because the PEC plugin for ePSXe gets detected as a virus by some antivirus programs.

Yeah, I know ePSXe has a built in "cheat" feature, but it only uses pre-loaded codes, and you cannot add codes yourself.

I also know about pSX v1.13 Cheat Edition, but that works like a regular CD GameShark; you can't enable and disable codes on the fly.

Anyway, I'm trying to play Lunar 2, which is a 2D game and shouldn't be graphics intensive. PCSXR runs SLOW.

I noticed the sound skipping so I changed the sound plugin from the default one to P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio SPU Version 1.9. Still runs slow. Also, voice samples sound garbled with static when I change the sound plugin.

I usually use the "Nice" settings on Pete's OpenGL2 PSX GPU Version 2.9, but I changed one thing to hopefully to make it run better: I changed the Off-Screen drawing option from "Extended" to "Standard". Still runs slow.

Has anyone else here experience similar problems with this emulator? How did you fix it?

January 20, 2018, 07:15:25 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Just finished trying out the "Fast" preset for the graphics plugin, while making a few changes here and there. Still too damn slow. Also, sound is always fucked up no matter what.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:15:25 am by NERV Agent »
Pen Pen Toblerone Vomit Pooh is waifu of the year.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: PCSXR is SLOW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 08:13:25 am »
Try running one of the software plugins, maybe your video card doesn't like the OpenGL2 plugin too much... Also, the software plugins are much more accurate and look a lot better for 2D games.

In any case, if you want cheats you should use psxjin or BizHawk (the latter should require a much more powerful CPU, since it uses the amazing Mednafen core.)
There has to be a better life.

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:37:18 am »
Interesting. I should give psxjin a try then.

As for PCSXR, I searched the interwebs and found that other people are experiencing slowdown with this emu.

However, I changed some settings and the game only slows down when certain sounds are played. For example, when I bring up the field menu and use an item on my characters, the sound effect it makes causes the game to slow down to a crawl. I even noticed this happening when certain sounds played during the battle(s) with Zophar. But at least I was able to beat Zophar despite the slowdown!

I used P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio SPU Version 1.9 with the following settings:

General Settings:

XA music:
Everything checked.

Misc:
Nothing checked.

As for my graphics settings, they are as follows:

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce 840M/PCIe/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Window mode
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 1
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 3
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 1
- Framebuffer uploads: 0

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: off
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: on  [00000004]

It seems that PSXjin is an offshoot of PCSXR, so if I run into an issue with that at least I'm on the right track to remedying it.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 08:47:08 am »
It seems that PSXjin is an offshoot of PCSXR, so if I run into an issue with that at least I'm on the right track to remedying it.
As far as I know, PSXjin doesn't use a single line from PCSX-Reloaded, but maybe they added something during these last years. In any case, both come from the original PCSX. (PSXjin is the continuation of my own PCSX-RR, which was created before PCSX-Reloaded existed.)

Isao Kronos

• ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 01:43:31 pm »
I'm reasonably certain modern ePSXe can add codes or at least if not in the program via text file outside of the program.

Personally, I use Mednafen now.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 02:05:46 pm »
Pcsx is slower than ePSXe for many reasons, one of them being the useless reading commands I recently discovered.
Also, if you want to get faster with the recompiler, I don't recommend as it is a totally broken memory leaker...

I didn't had the time to search trough mednafen code but it seems a better choice for users.

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 04:15:12 pm »
Just downloaded PSXjin, but the Cheat Editor under Tools doesn't work (it's grayed out).

How do I get this working?

Update:

Ugh.

Cheat System and Cheat Editor not working properly. Type-Defect Priority-Low

https://code.google.com/archive/p/psxjin/issues

And:

https://github.com/Nitrofski/psxjin/issues/3
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:34:33 pm by NERV Agent »

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 04:22:10 pm »
That sucks. Well, just get BizHawk, there's nothing better for cheating than that.

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 04:35:01 pm »
Ah, just noticed that ePSXe inputs a text file in the /cheats folder. The weird thing is when I modify the text file with the cheats with a new cheat, ePSXe doesn't recognize it. Then I keep re-downloading the text file and editing it and do this over and over again, and ePSXe finally recognizes the new cheat code.

Weird.