News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Mario Kart N64 being fixed  (Read 1999 times)

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
Super Mario Kart N64 being fixed
« on: January 17, 2018, 03:21:44 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_aRY04DG78&feature=youtu.be

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3019/ Link to original hack by Shelfall. If you liked this hack but missed the N64 battle maps and found some maps to complex to beat look no further. I set my goal to fix this.

I give Shelfall full credit for the work done and love the hack but I humble myself in some of the creations and am amazed the AI works on the maps I can not personally get threw.

Super MarioKart 64 was remade on the Snes by Shelfall. There is another N64 hack I found but was crude no name to give credit to sadly. I found problems with both hacks and merged them among other things. Custom maps were added to both hacks as the N64 has less maps so Shelfall added his creations. To be honest their really amazing looking from an artistic point of view but when put to reality it is almost impossible to figure out where your suppose to honestly go. You get lost and stuck and find that you can never honestly progress in the game once one of these maps are to be played. Also toads turnpike has awesome cars to dodge just like the N64 except if you fault even once on these things you get seriously stuck and that is it race is over you indefinitely lost. There is no new battle maps so I grabbed maps from the hack Super Mix Kart (Elias Papp) & Super Mario kart revision v2 (rocketboy3005) Track 15 shows an original track and Shelfalls was one I deemed unplayable so I added a completely custom map. There are bugs and I will work them out also Shelfall added Wario so I figured before I release this I will fix the bugs and once again add Wario. Also now in English not Japan.

Any opinions are encouraged so I can make this the BEST Snes N64 remake yet.

maseter

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Kart N64 being fixed
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:41:14 am »
Can you do this for the English US release of the game instead of (Japan) (Rev 0A)?

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:47:04 am »
Can you do this for the English US release of the game instead of (Japan) (Rev 0A)?

Yup that is what I was already doing. If you look at the video again you can see the (Japan) (Rev 0A) maps move over to a English US copy. So yes now not only will the maps be finally playable within reason but will also be in English.

boot-error

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:35:37 am »
Is it possible we can ger a relese of the other N64 remake. I saw the video and as nice as those replacement maps were I would like to try that one to sew if it is better then Shelfall's.I ran into the same issue as you did with good maps but the AI is much to difficoult with other maps that are so confusingly stupid. Hoping the other N64 variation is more playable while waiting for your full revamp.

Also by looking at your crood video with annoying static you jump arround so much it is a bit hard to follow. Are there any of the maps used from the crummy looking remake of N64 becides the Yoshi which is by no means a N64 map?

Please make better videos and make everything available as in both N64 remakes along with your beta WIP.

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 05:35:55 am »
Download link to the IPS file for the N64 tracks that were not done by Shelfall. These tracks do have working AI however the maps are so blocky I would say good luck on crashing into walls.

Note you will need the rom Super Mario Kart (U) [!] to get this working.

https://doc-04-as-docs.googleusercontent.com/docs/securesc/e1n7qesqlpr0l43csnqgnq5s2oo0944f/4ebvfhbb5n1aftn5hneh8s9jgvomdueg/1516788000000/02077151909934948167/02077151909934948167/1RXx1h0QVKA2_xhlPHAFBFvrMRjTFQfxv?e=download&nonce=36mi6pfvo225k&user=02077151909934948167&hash=j1teoq2gp3pailu0jkt6vjcb75he6tja

As for releasing the other stuff I have as much as I would like to at this time it will not happen.I think sharing is the best thing that can happen however I requested a update to Epic Edit from STIFU and to my surprise I got one. He does not want me to release that copy as it could be buggy. Once bugs are gone an official release will be made. Do to this If I gave you my maps there is a chance you might want to edit them and in doing so your surely going to run into errors using an older ver of Epic Edit from what I am using, especially when this Epic Edit is editing maps that were made on make and Epic Edit was not originally designed to handle editing make maps.

As for an update I got the first 5 maps working and completely playable but I heavily edited Koopa Troopa Beach and need opinions on which one is better. the old one or my new one with more space. I can not have testers as of yet do to the listed reasoning above.

January 25, 2018, 03:11:52 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So here is a demonstration of how Epic edit has taken maps from make and has slightly different attributes in the AI positioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1SnUGUTvLo&feature=youtu.be

The first ROM is SMK 64 reverse remake (the rom hack I downloaded) The second ROM is after I have extracted the map and moved it to another ROM with Epic Edit. (NOTE: if I simply take SMK 64 reverse remake and  save it with Epic Edit with out exporting I get the exact same result. If you watch the video you will notice after Epic Edit has sadly changed things I will have to edit the AI until I get this to work right. As I recall in Epic Edit when I did my own hack (Sylvain Kart)I ran into the same issue and at times had to alter my track to get the AI to proceed with the jump. Interestingly enough I learned Make can allow AI to make further jumps over Epic Edit as well but the great thing is If it already is a long jump that works out on make it works on Epic Edit if it is imported in. I do not know if it changes when I try to edit it though and this is all still a work in progress.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:11:52 am by thedarkbanshee »

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 05:13:13 am »
https://youtu.be/dOjnSYBRGhk

Here is a preview of the AI being slightly easier but still needs tons of fine tuning. Enjoy!

segwayspeedracer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 10:54:08 pm »
Unfortunately the limited SMK map size makes recreations difficult. SMK and Mario Kart 64 are meant to be played where the player can take the course at full speed, with the proper amount of hopping. Of course there are exploits like hopping at an angle to drive through mud without losing speed, used by SMK world record competitors, but the idea is that skilled players don't lose speed when navigating obstacles. It looks like that'll be impossible for some of the n64 courses in the SMK sized map.

I'm not sure what you could do to make the course more navigable. Maybe make the courses "spiritual" successors, where defined points of the course are fit into the SMK format, maybe allowing you to cut the number of turns down in a course. Sherbet Land and Donkey Jungle Parkway flat out look impossible in your video, or at least not fun. Not that you aren't putting the work into it, but the SMK format is going to hamper the ability of this mod to succeed.

So my suggestion would be to look at the main points of each course and capture the "experience" of a course... more than the pixel by pixel accuracy of it. See a rough sketch up of Dankeys Woods... I couldn't remember how to use MAKE or I would have drafted a better representation. You have 20 GP courses... and 16 N64 courses, so you could use those remaining four SNES slots to put in the unused portions of each course.

Don't forget, using Epic Edit, you can download the sprite sheet for each course and redesign it.. so you can make the edging of the bridge in donkey kong parkway a darker brown... instead of the red/blue/green/yellow.

Option B, you could slow down the speed of the player and the pc drivers. But that would not be as fun in my opinion. That's just me.

It looks like you're 90% done with it, so redesigning things would probably be too much work. Good luck to you and your hack. Great work!

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 03:20:58 am »
Finally segwayspeedracer your a user who can critically think. I been waiting for someone like you to have an honest unfiltered opinion. I rather enjoyed reading your input and will reply as best I can.

What effort?
The maps are not mine so my effort and work had been minimal though I have been slightly changing them so that the game is as enjoyable as possible. It is interesting you drew the map I happen to be heavily editing. No worries I have the map creation skill and Sherbet Land needs the most attention and I fully agree it is bad. One you did not mention is Koopa troopa beach. I attempted to add more driving space but some how it turned out worse even though the map looks fantastic. I still have the one I made if you want to see what I done up. Perhaps we can bounce arround some ideas. Anyway Take a look at Sylvain kart and even give it a try. You will find the maps work exceptionally well or as you put it navigable. By no means is it as good as F1 tracks but that hack works better then the original.

Map size
You are correct some things will have to be a compromise. There are 3 DK jungles floating on the inter webs and I am combining them while adding my own insight. The one you see in the video was slightly edited but I already updated it and will make a preview when I can. Navigating obstacles is my middle name and I made almost to many obstacles on Sylvain kart however by no means was it out of sight which says I have the skill here to make this thing work. I will test this until it is perfect. I was actually thinking of releasing several ver. One that is designed for flat out fun, then a skill based where the weapons are weakened so the player has to truly earn their place with driving skill. Lastly a all out weapon hog where if you do not use weapons you will lose with a reduced set of weapons or perhaps out of the way weapons.

Using MAKE
Actually make is a great program but there are to many things to learn. I use Epic Edit. Mostly mouse clicks none of that keyboard garbage. Funny you mention Epic Edit since you point out you do not know how to use MAKE. As for Epic Edit and the sprite sheet for each course and redesign there of, well I would love to do just that but do not know details on any of it. Do you or you know anyone who can show me?

20 GP courses... and 16 N64 courses
Do you mean unused portions of each course say like on special cup? Also what unused portions are you referring to? Perhaps what I cut out to make as you call it "spiritual" successors. Just clarifying to be sure here. Anyway my plan for the extra GP courses were to have other familiar maps from other Mario karts.

Battle?
You never questioned this at all. I am a HUGE battle mode fan. Sadly I really do not think double Decker can reasonably be recreated in 2D. I think that N64 map was a recreation of the original Snes battle course 4 anyway to be honest. So instead I added Block City. If you or someone can some how manage to interpret Double Decker as a 2D map I will add it. I do not see it happening though.

Thanks
Your input is inspiring and when I get this thing working well will you help me test it. Someone with your incite may be able to steer me in the right direction if there are any unforeseen problems I had over looked. You took the time to draw a picture so I figure you must be interested in this opportunity.

segwayspeedracer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 09:44:51 pm »
I used to mod SMK a lot, and MAKE is a million times better than epic edit for building the first draft of a course, because it has an automatic feature that will shape tiles around each other... Like, if I had generic grass tiles and generic road tiles placed together, there's the automatic brush feature that replaces the generic tiles with the appropriate grass / road border. so, instead of you for Mario Circuit having to click and drag each red/white road border tile, you can use MAKE to automatically build the road border around each road groove in seconds. It is literally that freaking fantastic. It's been so long since I've used MAKE, I can't remember which buttons do it.

MAKE will save you weeks on development time. You should seriously consider using MAKE for the first draft of a course, or if you need to redo some curves. You should be able to drag and drop an already developed course into the program to continue editing it. Epic Edit is much more clear on how to do the AI paths, starting routes, item placements, and for the last bit of tile fine tuning.

You should look up Youtube tutorials. It is slightly time consuming having to watch youtube videos and write down the keys to navigate the program, but it is absolutely worth it. I see you have your own tutorials on epic edit, so you must be really proficient in it, but you NEED to take a look at the MAKE automatic features.

To edit the road tiles in Epic Edit, just click the blue arrow pointing downward (below the tile map of the course) to download the sprite sheet onto your computer. You can use Paint.net to make any adjustments to the sprites. It was a small recommendation, I wouldn't mess with the sprites too much but if you wanted a Brown Bridge Barrier for DK Parkway, that would be an option.

------------

For the 20 GP course comment, I just meant that you could have two (say) Royal Raceways, where you snipped different parts of the n64 map into 2 SMK maps. It's an idea, but if you already had plans, I would stay with it!

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 03:30:03 am »
MAKE
I sen the youtube videos on this program as well as the auto tile shape feature. I have been able to load a fresh rom into MAKE but found no way to access existing maps or how to load rom hacks and load their existing maps. There seems to be no tutorials on how that part is done as far as I seen or I missed it. I will look into it more I know MAKE can have AI use speed boosts as well as hop over water & more. Epic Edit can not do these things though I been in contact with Stifu and he has given me some updates upon my request.

Epic Edit
My tutorial was kinda crud but does the job. I missed some features but it is enough to get anyone started for sure. I made it because a buddy wanted me to fix a unfinished map set he found with no AI mapping. He attempted to make AI mapping but it was real sad. I'm rather surprised you found that video as I need to make play lists on my youtube channel but have never done it.

Brown Bridge Barrier for DK Parkway
I was looking at several ways to pull this one off and even a map redesign do to the angle as going over a catercorner bridge can cause bad ramming edges that could set a player back really hard. It is one of those thing where I have another map much like it but with a straight bridge rather then the angle which fixes the issue which would make it as you put it "spiritual" successor though if I did that I could then have both as you mentioned. I was looking to put Yoshi circuit in twice for just that reason. 1 map is fun the other map looks great and works well. Neither are N64 maps and that was where I was going with it was non N64 maps. I will take in consideration to what your saying, if I get around to it I can make this idea of yours a variant ver. Seems like a good idea to me. There is nothing wrong with even more stuff. After all it is not like I'm a game company and need a final release. I like to add as much content as possible anyway.

Also what you think about testing when I get closer to release?

February 10, 2018, 08:35:58 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I spent several hours tonight revamping some maps to make them more driver friendly. Picks and video will be posted soon. This is a rather big update and the AI is also updated and much better. Getting extremely close to a demo release.

February 11, 2018, 04:45:48 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD0_QvD3VgU&feature=youtu.be

February 11, 2018, 10:20:39 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here is some update pictures. I made choco mountain much larger when it comes to driving space. It is not so much a tight squeeze anymore where your trying to dodge the walls more then you are trying to race. I also changed DK jungle up so it now has the cave unlike previously along with some other details I have yet to complete. Takes time to manually make all of this look good consittering I have not figured out how to use MAKE to auto fix the edges of things

DK jungle

Choco mountain

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:20:41 pm by thedarkbanshee »