News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Torneko Adventures 3: Mysterious Dungeon  (Read 958 times)

Sergekidd

• View Profile
Torneko Adventures 3: Mysterious Dungeon
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:46:45 pm »
Now let me start off by saying I'm 100% new to this.. I don't know that much, and I understand this will be something very difficult to do.

With that said... I have never seen anyone attempt this game, but I do see a lot of people asking about it (or well use to).. recently downloaded it in Japanese, and want to make an attempt by at the very least, trying to translate the menu options.  Maybe I'm in way over my head.. but

Can anyone point me in the right direction, as to what programs I would need to attempt something like this?

If I can do it, and get something like menu's done, then I'll try and go further and do items, and so on..  I've been doing for the past couple of days research, but I can't really find anything (maybe I just don't even know how to start a search for it) to help me or point me in the right direction.

So if anyone would care to point me there, I'd really appreciate it

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Sergekidd

• View Profile
Re: Torneko Adventures 3: Mysterious Dungeon
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:58:21 pm »
Thank you for the response, I'm trying to work on the PS2 version, but if the GBA version ends up being easier to work with, I'll probably switch to that.

I'll start reading those links you put up tonight

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:32:42 pm »
It's not impossible that hacking the PS2 version would be easier, but there are definitely a lot more GBA hacks out there than there are PS2 hacks.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 04:51:34 am »
Translating can be really hard or really easy depending on how the game was designed. Most people fail if they pick a hard game to start with.

The first thing I would do on a PS2 title is open the ISO it MadEdit (hex editor that supports Japanese text), set the code page to Shift-JIS (view > encoding) and search for a bit of Japanese text from early in the game. If you find the text in the ISO, type over it with English - make sure to save an unedited copy of the ISO. Restart the game in an emulator and if you're lucky, it may already support English text.

Sergekidd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 02:00:09 am »
I know it's been a little while since I responded.. just a quick update.

I have been working, taking screenshots, translating, then finding the text and making the changes.. it's been slow going, things aren't lining up and had the game crash a few times already, but trial and error, and learning from each mistake. (plus I've been using two other games, one English and one fan-translated as examples to try and understand each step I'm doing). so I'll say the only progress I've made thus far is, I'm learning slowly and getting many headaches.

So I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for pointing me in a direction, this is going to take me a LONG time to do.. (and I have this feeling this isn't a good beginner one either) but I'll keep at it and hopefully I can get something positive to show for it