News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Breath of Fire IV [PSX] - palette correction  (Read 3284 times)

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
Breath of Fire IV [PSX] - palette correction
« on: January 07, 2018, 07:10:07 am »
I noticed for a long time that this game have a strange pale picture. The colors are dim and the picture lacks contrast (in BoF3 the colors were bright and saturated). Such an image is typical for games on SNES, but for PS1 - this is a rare case. I decided to adjust the palette for some portraits and sprites (see screenshots below). Do you think this idea makes sense?

blacksniper

• View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire IV [PSX] - palette correction
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:23:41 am »
I like it, it's always bugged me how dull and bland this game looked... on top of the fact that too much of it is brown already. I'd love to see more.
---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 07:33:18 am »
I would enjoy this. The original colors aren't really an artistic choice, they look more like the result of a bad color converter. I think everyone who plays this game would welcome such a change.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 08:21:29 am »
I support this, while the previous 3 entries had beautiful colors this one was fifty shades of sand.

Made in China

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 01:03:13 pm »
I really like BoF4 so it takes some time getting used to, but it could turn out really well. I think it's a worthwhile effort.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 02:35:38 pm »
The original colors aren't really an artistic choice, they look more like the result of a bad color converter.
Nah, they are an actual artistic choice to make a pastel palette.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 05:59:18 pm »
Nah, they are an actual artistic choice to make a pastel palette.
Could be; have you actually heard the artist comment as such? If it was on purpose, I think it was a poorly executed. Pastel colors are nice, but the images seem to have their contrast uniformly lowered. Even the pupils and sunlight gleaming on her shoulders are moved toward grey.

Here's a before an after with only adjusting the contrast. The pastels are preserved, but the lighting looks more natural (I think).

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:14:34 pm by weissvulf »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 09:14:11 pm »
It was definitively done on purpose, especially given that you can alter gamma quite easily on a tv, fixing the problem of "bland" colors.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 12:26:01 am »
It was definitively done on purpose, especially given that you can alter gamma quite easily on a tv, fixing the problem of "bland" colors.
It's pretty silly to change the image settings on the TV every time you want to play in BoF4 (or other games, which have the same issue). In addition, the settings will have to reset to the standard when changing the game.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 03:21:25 am »
Go tell that to the plethora games having color tuning screens stating that explicitly to the user. Welcome to 90s games.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 04:54:04 am »
Go tell that to the plethora games having color tuning screens stating that explicitly to the user. Welcome to 90s games.
I did not quite understood this post. If the game has color tuning, then there is no problem - you will adjust once and forget about it. This is done specifically to not change the settings on the TV every time you want to play. I think this is the best solution.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 06:10:05 am »
It was simply the absence of any high-range lights or darks that made me thing the effect looked 'mechanically batch processed' rather than hand selected.  It doesn't really matter.  Either way, I think it was a universally bad artistic choice. One of the most poignant tools in art is contrast: harmony against dissonance, sharp against soft, light against dark. It's key to how the human brain perceives significance. If you don't have brights and darks against the milky pastels, it's just indistinct mud. I hope you do pull this off paul_met  :thumbsup:

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 09:12:48 am »
I did not quite understood this post.
Many games suggesting this:

It was simply the absence of any high-range lights or darks that made me thing the effect looked 'mechanically batch processed' rather than hand selected.
Nope, it's definitively a manual selection of color. See this:

blacksniper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 10:25:20 am »
This is why the palette of bof4 is awful. It may be an artistic choice, but why the hell is the brightness and contrast that off?

---
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 03:28:50 pm »
Of interest, there's a neat Breath of Fire 4 concept art gallery HERE. It might be a nice reference for any color editing.
In general, the concept art uses the same pastel palette,but with more variance in the range of brightness.

I noticed the character portraits from the game are 16 color. Are the graphics really 4bit in the data?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 04:18:39 pm »
I'm not sure, the original colors seem to fit with the environment when I google some other shots, but this looks good in the example you posted if a bit exaggerated in contrast for the portraits.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 10:48:30 am »
I noticed the character portraits from the game are 16 color. Are the graphics really 4bit in the data?
Portraits and characters sprites are in 4bpp mode, but background textures are 8bpp mode. You can check it in PVV.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 02:10:21 pm »
I dont know hom 3d models work, but are you able to fix any of the environments as well? Honestly the more you can adjust the better.

paul_met

• View Profile
    • Meduza Team
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 02:27:30 am »
I dont know hom 3d models work, but are you able to fix any of the environments as well? Honestly the more you can adjust the better.
What 3D models are you talking about?

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 08:44:13 am »
The environments are all done with 3d models not sprites, I was wondering if you could adjust their color as well.