News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch games  (Read 628 times)

FCandChill

• View Profile
Nintendo Switch games
« on: January 06, 2018, 03:22:05 pm »
I decided to create a thread for people to share their opinions on Nintendo Switch games. Without further ado, here's my thoughts on two games.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2:

Despite the positive reviews (e.g. "one of the best JRPGs of this generation"), I did not enjoy this game at all. The game poorly teaches you how to play the game. A menu screen shows up in various points in the game; it teaches you how to do a certain mechanics once. Yes, once. The game never again teaches you about the mechanics or has any reference material for the mechanics. If you didn't comprehend the tutorial, too bad. Look up a YouTube video. I've read that this game's battle system is really complex, there's even mechanics that aren't covered in tutorials.

As for the actual gameplay, I've played games like it before (e.g. the Tales games). In other words, if you've played a JRPG, you've more or less played this game before. It was definitely not worth the 60 USD investment when there's much cheaper alternatives that do it better, in my opinion. Am I being too harsh on Xenoblade Chronicles 2..? I heard that a lot of people are enjoying this game apparently.

Super Mario Odyssey

Now this game I did enjoy. Odyssey does tutorials right too. Instead of completely stopping the game for a text prompt, a text prompt appears at the bottom of the screen telling you what to do. Not that I needed the tutorials anyway. The controls are the typical 3D Mario setup. If you've played Super Mario 64, you've played this game. However, Odyssey adds new mechanics such as possessing enemies and much more; it makes it a completely different experience for a Mario veteran such as me. The game has "layers" of difficulty. There's easy challenges and then there's more difficult challenges. The game really appeals to different difficulty levels. Did anyone else enjoy this game?

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch games
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 03:49:09 pm »
I don't own a Switch yet, and it's probably gonna be awhile, but some impressions of the stuff I'd like to get.

Ittle Dew 2:
Top of my list, because of the developer, i'm not sold on the looks of the artstyle but the gameplay looks like a pretty decent Zelda clone, although I hear it places way more empahasis on puzzles than LOZ, also looks like it has a pretty good sense of humor too.

Mario Odyssey:
I actually played this for a minute at a demo kiosk, it seems very fast, the controls work well, and Mario can roll into a ball and zoom along at the speed of sound, SOLD.

Super Bomberman R:
Iv'e never played a Bomberman game before, but there's a lot of people playing this lately and it seems like a lot of fun, so this is probably going to be one of the first things I pickup.

Wonderful 101? 102?
This thing was teased a little bit, all we got was a blurry screen and some Won01 characters playing on a Switch, so well see whether it's empty promises or not, I'm hoping for some refined gameplay and controls, because as much as I like Won01 aesthetically, it's gameplay is full of things that are harder than they should be thanks to control issues.

Sad to see that Xenoblade 2 dissapoints, I've got a friend who's really enjoying it right now, but since I'm not really invested in the series I might just skip it if there's better things available.

I'm also curious how the cartridges taste, my buddy told me it felt like burning, so I'm going to have to taste one myself to see how bad it is.
Sleepy's tune of the week || Flamingo: Metal Cover|| https://youtu.be/Pr2VRxfbFtg

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 11:18:24 am »
I didn't even realize that these things have a touchscreen until I saw the announcement about The World Ends With You.  Hasn't gotten a lot of use so far, has it?

Too bad it's probably going to be mostly a port of the iOS version.  The dual-screen gameplay there was something special.  A backport of the new content to the 3DS is too much to hope for.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 01:08:38 pm »
Mario Odyssey:
I actually played this for a minute at a demo kiosk, it seems very fast, the controls work well, and Mario can roll into a ball and zoom along at the speed of sound, SOLD.

Early games in the series, Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, had somewhat slippery control schemes. It's nice to see that after years of the series, the controls have gotten better.

Sad to see that Xenoblade 2 dissapoints, I've got a friend who's really enjoying it right now, but since I'm not really invested in the series I might just skip it if there's better things available.

I'm not invested in the series either; Xenoblade 2 was my first Xenoblade game. From what I've heard, even fans of the switch version admit that the map system is bad. The map is clunky and hard to use. The game also has a display to tell you where to go at the top of the screen:

When trying to get to the next destination, it's more or less a guessing game... The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a much better map scheme. It's quick, easy to interpret, and makes exploring more enjoyable.

I'm also curious how the cartridges taste, my buddy told me it felt like burning, so I'm going to have to taste one myself to see how bad it is.

What? You means like putting your tongue on the game's SD card? O_o

I didn't even realize that these things have a touchscreen until I saw the announcement about The World Ends With You.  Hasn't gotten a lot of use so far, has it?

Yeah, the game's that I own don't even use the touch screen. I don't recall Nintendo making a huge marketing campaign out of the feature like the DS. The Switch's Operating System uses the touch screen extensively though.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 03:34:42 pm »
What? You means like putting your tongue on the game's SD card? O_o
Lol, yeah, Nintendo put a bitter lacquer or something on the carts,like No-Bite maybe? to prevent people putting them in their mouths, which has ironically had the opposite effect.

I also had no idea TWEWY switch was a thing, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that,
it also turns out Night in the Woods is coming to Switch as well.
Sleepy's tune of the week || Flamingo: Metal Cover|| https://youtu.be/Pr2VRxfbFtg

Isao Kronos

• ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:03:49 pm »
I heard the MSRP for TWEWY Switch was 60 dollars? Which is ridiculous because the game originally retailed at 40 and retails around sub-20 on iOS/Android?