News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Geiger not tracing data  (Read 581 times)

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
Geiger not tracing data
« on: January 03, 2018, 01:55:03 pm »
Whenever I use Geiger's tracing feature, I am receiving no data recorded.  Why is this? I am using SNES9x.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
Re: Geiger not tracing data
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 07:23:18 am »
In giegers debugger under logging only check CPU to start a CPU trace. The trace file will get stored wherever your rom file is. Don't check anything in special tracing or CPU trace options until you know how to do a basic CPU trace then you can play with the other options to see how they work. Under misc options I only have auto usage map checked but I'm not really sure what that does. Hope that helps.

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:23:34 am »
So I mark "CPU" under "logging" and "trace once" under "CPU trace options."  why is nothing happening?

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 10:19:50 am »
Why are you checking trace once? :banghead:
 I said don't check anything else until you know what you are doing. Just check CPU under logging.

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 11:33:15 am »
Still, nothing is happening. 

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 12:28:20 pm »
All you have to do is load your game go to a location in the game where you want to start tracing code check the CPU box under logging and that will start writing the assembly code to a text file in the same folder that your rom is in. Uncheck the CPU under logging to stop the trace and it should save the trace file. And make sure the game is still playing while you are tracing the code or it's not going to trace anything.

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 03:48:38 pm »
Here is what I did: I opened the rom file, made a save state, loaded the save state while turning on the CPU trace option. I kept it enabled up to a point where I wanted to remove, but no file is still appearing.

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 03:56:07 pm »
My log files are saved to the Logs folder in the same directory as SNES9x. There's a Dir:Logs setting in your snes9x.debugger.cfg file that specifies where they go.
Mauron wuz here.

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 04:18:30 pm »
Okay so it seems to work.  I was trying to look for the recording on the sub screen where text usually appears while running the program.