News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Zelda1 and 3 improvement patches  (Read 3066 times)

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
Zelda1 and 3 improvement patches
« on: January 02, 2018, 07:01:46 am »
I am working on an improvement patch for Zelda 1 where the dungeons are better organized, dungeons that have vital items cannot be finished without them (e.g. Gohma will appear in the same dungeon as the bow and arrows), the old  man no longer offers a potion as a choice, but only a heart container, the "leave your life or money" rooms will be deleted in the second quest and instead replaced with enemies.  Every dungeon has the same number of keys equal to its locked doors and there are no locked rooms that will force potentially unwinnable situations. Ganon's room is now escapable, and Degdogger will be weaker to accommodate for its early appearance. 

What needs to worked on are the bounce velocities when bumping into enemies and more invincibility frames. 

A Link to the Past will have rebalanced items and an open level design much closer to Zelda 1. 

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda1 and 3 improvement patches
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:40:15 am »
I have to move this from Personal Projects until we see proof of progress, such as screenshots.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 07:23:27 am »
I just sent images from one of the hacks I am working on.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:01:55 pm »
You have to link them somewhere. Put them on an image-hosting site and then post the links.

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 01:12:30 pm »
I posted them on the scratch pad.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 08:06:20 pm »
Scratchpad links are for submitting data to staff only. Nobody else can see them.
Use a photo-hosting site, like imgur.

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 06:41:23 am »

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 08:58:34 am »
The images look good but you should use the the img link code to display the image on this page. When you go to post a message you can get the img link code from the first button under change color it has the green plus symbol on the button. Put the address to your image between the brackets where the x is [ ]x[ ]. What is inside the parentheses (img) should be inside the first set of brackets and (/img) should be inside the second set of brackets. Also with your links to your imgur images use the direct link instead of link to get them to display correctly.

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 09:15:07 am »
So I now that I have verified images from my Zelda3 hack, could the discussion continue now or do I need to edit the imge link code?

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 10:22:07 am »
Why not just edit your reply number 6 so everyone can see the image on this page. It's simple.

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 11:13:24 am »

https://imgur.com/kqLzuXQ

Did I post it correctly?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:25:40 am by ChaosPrime8 »

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 11:37:07 am »
No you didn't. Like I said in imgur don't use link you need to use direct link.

direct link:
https://i.imgur.com/kqLzuXQ.jpg

link:
https://imgur.com/kqLzuXQ
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:29:58 pm by slidelljohn »

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 09:26:57 pm »
Should I open this topic or is it fine the way it is? Should I upload my patch for some playtesters?

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 08:15:48 pm »
You already opened this topic, and no, it's not fine the way it is.

Your topic is "Zelda1 and 3 improvement patches" so obviously you should at least have your patches or test patches uploaded if you have them ready for people to look at.

And you still haven't fixed the link for your images. I told you how to fix it. Is it really that difficult for you to fix that link? I was trying to help you out but it seems like I was just wasting my time. It's obvious that your are new and if you want help from people on here you should at least take other people's advice that are trying to help you.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:31:13 pm by slidelljohn »

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 08:32:17 pm »

Okay I got it to work.  For some reason, I could not open up the direct link, which is why I was having problems.

I have images from test hacks so that way the initial hack is not ruined.  (I made several back ups so having test hacks helps to experiment on new ideas).

Anyway, with the Zelda 1 hack, that I am currently working on, but I probably need help with the hex editing because I came across a roadblock when editing the room against Ganon (i.e. the doors must be locked to avoid an unwinnable situation because Ganon does not respawn while the Triforce disappears if you can leave the room after killing him). 

I thought posting pathces on this side was only for hacks that are near completion.  I do have a hack for Zelda3 that is perfectly playable, but there are still several changes that I want to be made, some of which requires ASM such as in Euclid's Parallel Worlds hack where bosses do not drop heart containers.   

Anyway, where can I upload test patches?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:42:09 pm by ChaosPrime8 »

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 09:11:32 pm »
I use media fire to upload some of my test patches.

It seems like you do need a lot of help and you should probably post in romhacking discussion pages, help wanted pages or the newcomers board pages but this is already posted here and it should be fine where it is at.

I might be able to help you with some of the snes hacking stuff but not the nes. But remember you give a man a fish you feed him for a day you teach him how to fish you feed him for life. Before you ask for lots of help try to do the research on your own first to show initiative that you are trying to learn because there are a lot of people on here that will help you but they are not going to want to do your projects for you. There are lots of great hacking docs on here and by doing a google search you can find other docs.

Now let's see what you have so far with these patches.

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 09:55:05 pm »
Should I upload the other images despite coming from other roms? I did not make a patch out of this because I found it unnecessary as it is a test hack (part of the hack was testing to see if I could connect all the caves with the Tower of Hera. I ended up moving Spectacle Rock to line up with the Tower's entrance. The cave entrance was also moved across from the potion shop so that way the cave connecting to death mountain was more consistent. 

https://imgur.com/a/Y6pK7

Anyway, I have been looking up documents on how to understand programming and currently the most I can grasp is conversion from binary to hex to decimal.  I have made some hex edits on my hack such as the Cane of Somaria receiving a buff. 

http://www.rapidshare.com.cn/7Hmqkpb

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 10:32:58 pm »
You should upload anything you want that has to do with the topic of this page.

Why are you doing that with the link again with your images? Use the direct links so they are displayed on this page.

If all you know is how to convert binary to hex to decimal then you have a long way to go. Probably be best for you to stick to the newcomers board until you get a good grasp of things.

This topic should probably be move back to the newcomers section.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:29:27 pm by slidelljohn »

ChaosPrime8

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 11:24:27 pm »

I finally figured out how to send a direct link. No thanks to Cortana, it was difficult to find the option at first.  Anyway, if you did not notice, I added waterfalls on the edges because the tiles used near the corners looked like they were not lined that well. 

January 06, 2018, 11:21:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Here is another sample I made when trying to edit the Tower of Hera, but I am not sure if this will be in the final hack.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:21:15 am by ChaosPrime8 »

slidelljohn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 04:07:40 pm »

Here is another sample I made when trying to edit the Tower of Hera, but I am not sure if this will be in the final hack.

Not really sure what you did here. You should do before and after pics and give detailed descriptions.