News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Harmony of Dissonance Localization Fix - Skull Knight's Japanese name?  (Read 759 times)

spiffy

• View Profile
Thanks to LagoLunatic's recent work in providing support for Harmony of Dissonance in his excellent DSVania Editor, I'm this close to releasing a hack which will hopefully clear up a number of localization issues that have existed in the English game text for years. I'm not a native or fluent Japanese speaker, so I had to rely on a wide variety of sources as well as very judicious use of online dictionaries and translators (knowing full well the pitfalls of solely relying on such things without taking into account the surrounding context or proper sentence structure). I've almost certainly made some massive mistakes somewhere, so when I finally release it, feel free to correct me via reviews, PM or what have you.

Anyway...

There's just one remaining quibble left to address: Skull Knight (http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Skull_Knight). In Japanese, its name is rendered as 'スカルトナイトロード' (skarutonaitoroodo). Is this some sort of pun or portmanteau that could be easily recognized by a Japanese audience, similar to '死門' ('Gate of Death'/'Shimon') or 'すけるトン' ('clear'/'skeleton')?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Harmony of Dissonance Localization Fix - Skull Knight's Japanese name?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 04:15:24 am »
I don't think it's a pun. スカル is just how you write the English word "skull" in katakana. Its Japanese name means "Skull Knight Lord".

spiffy

• View Profile
Re: Harmony of Dissonance Localization Fix - Skull Knight\'s Japanese name?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 04:30:32 am »
Ah, I see it now! It was so obvious in hindsight. It's just too bad that it exceeds the 16 character name limit, though, so unfortunately it'll have to remain 'Skull Knight'.

Cheers. :)

January 21, 2018, 06:14:34 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Found one more: 'みかわしのふく'.

In the game, it's translated as 'Loose Clothing' (http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Loose_Clothing) but the article I just cited provides an alternate translation of 'Clothes of Mikawashi'.

Is the author of the article just way off the mark here, or is it some sort of Japanese historical/mythological reference that I can't seem to pin down?

Got it. Settled on 'Evasion Clothes'.

Edit:

And another: 'こんじきのとうかん'. Translated as 'Gold Headband' in the original release (http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Gold_Headband), and 'Golden Crown' in other sources. I understand 'こんじき', but I can't seem to find anything supporting 'とうかん' as 'crown', especially when a similar item, Platinum Crown (プラチナクラウン), is clearly spelled out in katakana.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:47:00 am by spiffy »

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:12:42 am »
but I can't seem to find anything supporting 'とうかん' as 'crown', especially when a similar item, Platinum Crown (プラチナクラウン), is clearly spelled out in katakana.

とうかん could be from 頭冠 which means "head collar; cephalic crown; corona capitis; crown of the head".

spiffy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 10:18:44 am »
とうかん could be from 頭冠 which means "head collar; cephalic crown; corona capitis; crown of the head".

That clears things up. I've settled on 'Golden Crown' for now. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Time to upload this thing!