News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Nemesis DX (Concept)  (Read 1130 times)

Peepus

• View Profile
Nemesis DX (Concept)
« on: December 31, 2017, 11:55:21 am »
Hello! Newbie here!

After recently discovering the amazing color hacks for Metroid II and Super Mario Land 2, I am inspired to try my hand at colorizing Game Boy games. I have a good amount of PhotoShop and sprite working experience but have no idea about hacking or programming, so for now I'm just doing some concepts for what I'd like to achieve for one of my favorite GB games; Nemesis (and Nemesis II/Gradius: Interstellar Assault) I downloaded GBE+ and will try my hand at editing the ROMs using that.

Here are my colorizations so far. The original sprite sheets were downloaded from Spriters Resource and ripped by ACE_Spark.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:54:46 pm by Peepus »

toruzz

• View Profile
Re: Nemesis DX
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 04:17:09 pm »
GBE+ won't let you edit the ROM, it works by replacing the graphics you see on the emulator.

If you really want to start a colorization project I'd suggest you to try and learn GB ASM. It's a difficult task but not an impossible one. I'll make SML2DX's source code available and try to document the first steps of a colorization project, so you can use that as a base.

Also, keep in mind the system limitations when making a mockup - backgrounds can have up to 4 colors per 8x8 pixels block (using up to 8 different palettes) and only 3 colors for sprites.

Peepus

• View Profile
Re: Nemesis DX
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 04:34:19 pm »
I was afraid of that. :D I'm not very adept at technical things but I'll look into learning the skills if I can. I was worried that I got a bit overzealous with the color choices. I'll change the colors to match the system limitations.

At the very least, I'll post my color edits here if they'd be of use to anyone. There are quite a few GB games I'd like to work on.

Thanks for the info and for SML2DX! I'm enjoying the hell out of it and I applaud your efforts! :beer:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:48:48 pm by Peepus »

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Nemesis DX (Concept)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 11:59:34 pm »
There's official colorizations on the European Konami GB Collections, but yours looks a bit cooler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j02VAy-_Gc

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
Re: Nemesis DX (Concept)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 03:24:35 am »
There's one game that really deserve a color hack:
Gargoyle's Quest.