News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon's Den  (Read 1050 times)

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Dragon's Den
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:58:21 pm »
The Gestahlian Empire has chosen you!

Quote from: Readme
A silly hack of Final Fantasy VI. Emperor Gestahl wishes to test your wits. Are you up to the challenge?

This hack is effectively a randomizer, and can be likened to the Ancient Cave hack of FF5, or the Ancient Cave itself from Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals. This is broken down a bit more though. The hack will be entirely self-contained, no outside program is ever needed to generate a seed or anything else like that. Just load it up in your favorite emulator and go.

Object of the hack: SURVIVE. Last as long as you can. You will occasionally be rewarded by the Empire for progressing through the Den. However, monsters will continue to get stronger the deeper you go. As of now, no "end" is planned, but with some of the bosses I'm including an ending of some sorts may happen.

Gestahl showing you the avatars you can choose from.

You can choose your palette!

Obviously, you can name your avatars.

Once four members have been chosen...

Starting stats are randomized.

Starting abilities are randomized.

Starting equipment is randomized!

Minor changes to the config menu. You have the option of disabling battle music if you just want to chill out to the BGM.

Configurable controllers cause why not.

Here's a video showing off preliminary treasure chest logic. Very preliminary video showing off encounter logic, sorta.

And so much more that screenshots really can't do justice.

This hack will run on the SNES console. It has been tested on console and the bsnes accuracy core. Public testing will commence in the near-future. Suggestions are welcome, but I make no promises that they won't fall on deaf ears. Being a dick, sarcastic, or just crass will earn silence in return.

Obligatory disclaimer: This is in no way that silly and pathetic dungeon that was in Final Fantasy VI Advance. It will not be included. It should die and feel bad.

Stay tuned for updates.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon's Den
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 01:10:19 am »
I like the chest logic so far.. One thing that would be amazing, maybe not in a first release but later, is randomizing the chest numbers and locations. Like for a map, between 0 and 2 chests.

I think all wall and non-walkable tiles have bit 4 of tile property byte 1 set (the "0.4" in ZD tile editor). What could be more difficult is randomizing a x,y position since not all maps have the same xMin, xMax, yMin, yMax. Maybe hardcoding those in a table would work. Then randomize a x,y position until you find a good tile and overwrite with a chest and content.

Maybe this whole idea is far fetched but I don't think it is impossible.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: Dragon's Den
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:47:57 am »
I like the chest logic so far.. One thing that would be amazing, maybe not in a first release but later, is randomizing the chest numbers and locations. Like for a map, between 0 and 2 chests.
I've thought about this, but I was worried about the game giving false positives on chests. Think of some car rooms in the Phantom Train. Since I have a decent amount of RAM free, this may be possible. The treasure chest logic is going to be changing to try and make it less gimpy, but we'll see if it actually works that way or not.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!