News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: How do i burn Bin Cue on Windows 7? ?  (Read 1704 times)

RomanWarrior

• Pier Solar , Beggar Prince, Wukong ,Star Ody. MINE
    • View Profile
How do i burn Bin Cue on Windows 7? ?
« on: December 28, 2017, 07:01:49 am »
I used to use Nero Burning Rom 6 on XP. now I got windows 7, Burning Rom 6 incompatible. I tried using Burining Rom 10 and it wont work for me. Error on LINE 1?

Its been a decade since I burned bin cue files. Can someone point me in the right direction. Also the bin cue file was .ogg , I converted them all to WAV . Then on the notepad I changed all the OGG to WAV in the cue file. The .ISO says BINARY

so is this correct? Is my program wrong or my setup of the cue file. I cant remember nothing

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
Re: How do i burn Bin Cue on Windows 7? ?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:38:42 am »
There's several ways. You could convert Bin/cue to a different format, such as ISO, clonecd, etc. and then burn the files. Or you could just burn them as is, using a program like ImgBurn. You shouldn't have to even spend a dime to get it running, since most programs available are free.

Probably the best way though (although I'm not 100% sure what you're doing) is to mount the image using software like Daemon Tools Lite, then just run the file like it was a burned cd-r/rw, without having to try and find old disks, or re-burn it because the cd cost of 10 cents per disk you get what you pay for.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

RomanWarrior

• Pier Solar , Beggar Prince, Wukong ,Star Ody. MINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 08:03:30 am »
no no I like having a hard copy cd, I have over 100 cd games I burned between 2003-2007 that I stil have and all work and have not deteriorated

IMGburn will burn bin/cue? I know its great for ISOs

I just wish I could use my older programs, also, on the cue file I have to rename it all to .wav correct?

thank you ahead of time

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 08:17:04 am »
Yes,
I checked before replying. Imgburn 2.5.8 (latest version) is able to burn bin/cue files.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:23:10 am »
I did a Google search for "burn cue iso ogg" (no quotes) and one of the first hits was http://www.racketboy.com/retro/how-to-burn-retro-game-images-with-all-free-software#iso-ogg , which indicates that ImgBurn can even burn the files without having to convert the .ogg to .wav first.  You just have to install a "filter".
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 08:23:33 pm »
Yeah, I second IMGBurn. Me and my brother (SunGodPortal) rarely have any problems with it and when we do it's usually because we got a hold of a broken image file.

PS: Select the cue file when burning, otherwise the program might make fun of you. LOL

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 09:35:40 pm »
It might help if you posted some of your CUE file. The "Error on LINE 1" suggests the burning program doesn't like the first line of your CUE.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 09:35:54 pm »
If you do go with ImgBurn, I suggest grabbing a copy from an official mirror. The download from the official site has adware in the installer.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 08:13:17 pm »
If you are gonna mount a virtual CD, I suggest that you stay away from Daemon Tools because:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_tools#Controversy

I use Virtual CloneDrive, and it works on Windows 7 (for now, anyway).

Also, another good ISO ripping/burning program worth checking out is CloneCD. I use it often for ripping and burning PSX ISOs. It isn't free, but you can still get a full copy somewhere if you know what I mean. ;)
Pen Pen Toblerone is waifu of the year.

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 07:01:00 pm »
ImgBurn is great for burning PS1 and PS2 games. It's probably good for Saturn games too. I've tried burning PS1 games with Alcohol 120 once, but it's too complicated, not to mention it's free for only a few days.

There's several ways. You could convert Bin/cue to a different format, such as ISO, clonecd, etc. and then burn the files.
Which program do you recommend to convert .bin/.cue to .iso? I need to patch my Wipeout 3 Special Edition image in order to play it in NTSC, but the patch I found on the internet seems to require a single-track image file. WO3 SE is multi-track. If I patch the main track without caring, the file size will increase dramatically (from 92 MB to 630 MB) and it'll be impossible to burn all tracks into a CD.

Probably the best way though (although I'm not 100% sure what you're doing) is to mount the image using software like Daemon Tools Lite, then just run the file like it was a burned cd-r/rw, without having to try and find old disks, or re-burn it because the cd cost of 10 cents per disk you get what you pay for.
If it's to play games on an emulator, Daemon Tools is definitely the best option.
Currently working on: Xenogears Script Revision + Term Corrections
My ROM hacking blog: https://almagest712.blogspot.com/

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 08:50:43 pm »
For mounting virtual CDs, my go-to utility is WinCDEmu.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 10:22:14 pm »
Which program do you recommend to convert .bin/.cue to .iso?
The best method I've found is with ISObuster.

1) Open the cue for the split in ISObuster
2) Right-click on 'CD' (in upper left window) and select 'Extract CD <Image>' > 'raw bin/iso'
3) Right Click on 'CD' again and select 'Create CUE sheet File' > 'Image contains M1...M1...Audio'
4) Make sure the file created in step 2 has '.bin' file extension.
5) Open the generated CUE and make sure the top line references the corect file name.
 ie 'FILE "[game.bin]" BINARY'

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 11:57:52 pm »
Which program do you recommend to convert .bin/.cue to .iso? I need to patch my Wipeout 3 Special Edition image in order to play it in NTSC, but the patch I found on the internet seems to require a single-track image file. WO3 SE is multi-track. If I patch the main track without caring, the file size will increase dramatically (from 92 MB to 630 MB) and it'll be impossible to burn all tracks into a CD.
This is unclear.  A .bin image of a multi-track CD includes both the ISO filesystem and the individual tracks as CD-audio, and the .cue file indicates the start and end of each track.  If you have the "main track", then it sounds like you have a .iso that you need to convert back into a .bin image.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 05:34:06 am »
Can PS1 games even use the ISO format? I know people use 'ISO' as a generic word for 'disk image', but I seem to remember that the actual ISO standard uses 2048 bytes per sector data whereas PS1 games use 2352. It's been years since I dug into the murky bowels of CD formatting, so I've forgotten a lot. I know some emulators etc will sometimes open PS1 images with an ISO file extension, but I suspect they are just detecting the CDs actual file structure internally and ignoring the file extension.
[22:35] [pSXAuthor] an .iso should be a 2048 byte per sector image of track 1 only
[22:35] [pSXAuthor] ps1 requires 2352 bytes per sector

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 09:12:05 pm »
Can PS1 games even use the ISO format?
They certainly don't have to – if I'm not mistaken, PSX games typically access CD data by "logical block addressing" rather than ISO filenames.

I know people use 'ISO' as a generic word for 'disk image', but I seem to remember that the actual ISO standard uses 2048 bytes per sector data whereas PS1 games use 2352.
That number is specified in the .cue file.

deewelch

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 09:49:33 pm »
With PowerISO, you can open BIN / CUE files, burn them to disc, or mount as virtual drive. To open BIN / CUE files and extract files from them, please follow the steps, Run PowerISO. Click the "Open" button on toolbar or choose "File > Open" menu, then select the BIN or CUE file to open.
Web Designer at Petstreetmall
"We are your pet supplies expert"

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 10:28:42 pm »
That number is specified in the .cue file
I suppose that's kind of why I'm confused. ISO files don't have CUEs do they? So how can you convert a PS1 game to ISO format?

I mean, all images used for PS1 games (BIN, IMG, MDF) are identical  (MDF sometimes includes internal sub-channel data); they only differ in the format of their 'CUE' file.  I've never seen a program that creates ISO images for PS1 games because ISOs are expected to conform to the ISO-9660 standard of 2048 bytes per sector and don't have a CUE for multi-track support. You could name BIN file to ISO or '.batman' if you wanted to but it's not really 'converting'. Every PS1 game I've seen with an 'iso' file extension was just renamed BIN file missing its CUE.

Just thinking out loud. I'm probably being cueless...I mean clueless  ;D

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 01:03:50 am »
I mean, all images used for PS1 games (BIN, IMG, MDF) are identical  (MDF sometimes includes internal sub-channel data); they only differ in the format of their 'CUE' file.
I guess I don't have enough experience with PS1 images.  I would have thought that in this era of plentiful bandwidth and storage space there would be better standardization.  Someone was saying the other day that the Redump Project standardized on one .bin per track (plus a .cue).

Certainly, I wouldn't expect MDF to be associated with .cue, since MDF files tend to be paired with a .mds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Descriptor_File

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 04:44:01 pm »
I'm not that experienced either. I just had the memory that PS1 games couldn't be saved in ISO format. Maybe this quote from Wikipedia's CUE file page explains why:
These binary .bin files usually contain all 2,352 bytes from each sector in an optical disc, including control headers and error correction data in the case of CD-ROMs (unlike ISO images of CD-ROMs, which store only the user data).
I'm thinking that if a disk uses the same type of sector throughout, you can rip just the 'user data' into an ISO file leaving behind all the sector headers etc. The discarded header information can be restored (if needed) because it follows a set pattern.

But PS1 CDs switch between different sector formats on the same CD (XA Mode2 Form1, and XA Mode2 Form2 etc). In this case, the sector headers can't be removed because they differ in size and contain vital information about how to read their 'user data'.

Certainly, I wouldn't expect MDF to be associated with .cue, since MDF files tend to be paired with a .mds.
I have no idea about the format of an MDS file. But if you make an MDF image with the 'include subchannel data' box unchecked, it is identical to a BIN or IMG file. That makes me think the MDS file contains the same info as a CUE, but in Alcohol120 proprietary binary format.

I hope this conversation isn't derailing the topic. It does loosely pertain to 'how to burn a PS1 CD properly'.  :)   

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 06:21:37 pm »
@Jorpho: When I said "main track", I was referring to track 1, which contains game data. All the other 13 tracks are music. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
Currently working on: Xenogears Script Revision + Term Corrections
My ROM hacking blog: https://almagest712.blogspot.com/