News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: How do i burn Bin Cue on Windows 7? ?  (Read 1220 times)

Starscream

• View Profile
Re: How do i burn Bin Cue on Windows 7? ?
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 09:56:51 pm »
I suppose that's kind of why I'm confused. ISO files don't have CUEs do they?

For certain systems, ISO+separate audio tracks with CUE was the preferred format in older days, today this isn't as important because of increased bandwidths and space. I don't think separate audio tracks were really a thing with PS1 images when people started to share them on the web in the common places, I assumed there were technical reasons for it. Maybe it's just because lossless compressions(like FLAC) weren't really known or available.
ISOs with separate tracks are in some cases still necessary, e.g. I believe Final Burn Alpha's Neo Geo CD emulation only works with ISOs, not Bin/Cue files.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 11:55:34 pm »
Which program do you recommend to convert .bin/.cue to .iso? I need to patch my Wipeout 3 Special Edition image in order to play it in NTSC, but the patch I found on the internet seems to require a single-track image file. WO3 SE is multi-track. If I patch the main track without caring, the file size will increase dramatically (from 92 MB to 630 MB) and it'll be impossible to burn all tracks into a CD.

@Jorpho: When I said "main track", I was referring to track 1, which contains game data. All the other 13 tracks are music. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
So you need to convert this game-data track and 13 music tracks into one .bin file (of 630 MB) so you can apply the patch, right?

There might be a better way, but the fastest way would be to mount the .cue file in Daemon Tools and then just create a new image of the virtual mounted CD using ImgBurn.  Make sense?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:34:19 pm by Jorpho »
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 08:06:11 pm »
For certain systems, ISO+separate audio tracks with CUE was the preferred format
Now I understand part of what I was missing. Thanks! The only CD based systems I've worked on significantly are the PS1 and PC. So I just hadn't encountered the ISO+CUE format. If I'm understanding the bottom line summary, it would be.

ISO = single track disk image with 'user data' only. It discards the sector headers, subchannel data, and error checking ECM data, leaving only 2048 bytes of 'user data' per sector. Since the ISO9660 format is standardized, these only require a CUE if the original CD was multi-track.

BIN,IMG = Raw disk image containing 'user data', sector header, and ECM data, but discarding the subchannel data, thus leaving 2352 bytes of data per sector. These always require a CUE-like file to record internal structure and track breaks.

MDF = Like a BIN, but with the option of including the subchannel data as well. Requires an MDS file to record internal structure and track breaks.

Playstation CDs use non-basic modes, so they are not compatible with the ISO format, but some other CD based consoles are. Also, since some PS1 games from the PAL (Euro) region used a copy protection which stored vital game data in the subchannel data (aka LibCrypt), such games require a BIN-like format plus subchannel data.

Hopefully, I have my thinking straight-ish now  :P

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 02:31:56 am »
I recall playing Sega CD games ripped in ISO + audio tracks working but often had desynced audio (not sure if that was a flaw of the format itself or bad ripping).

However, I remember that according to Nightwolve, ripping TurboGrafx/PCE CDs with compressed audio tracks (such as MP3) would badly corrupt games. I'm not familiar with how CDs are stored myself but I think he said PCE accessed CDs based on sectors rather than tracks. And compressed audio without throw that off.
Correct me if I'm wrong though.
(not going to look up links for his site since I'm going to assume his anti-RHDN referrer stuff is still going on)

For my personal rips of my own purchased Sega/Mega CD and PCE-CD games I have used "data" formats rather than split track audio format. I think CloneCD.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 09:26:01 am »

However, I remember that according to Nightwolve, ripping TurboGrafx/PCE CDs with compressed audio tracks (such as MP3) would badly corrupt games. I'm not familiar with how CDs are stored myself but I think he said PCE accessed CDs based on sectors rather than tracks. And compressed audio without throw that off.
Correct me if I'm wrong though.
(not going to look up links for his site since I'm going to assume his anti-RHDN referrer stuff is still going on)

That was probably because of bad/inconsistent ripping, Nightwolve himself later released a tool called Turborip for the purpose of ripping to separate audio tracks, with the option to further compress them.
I think there were issues specific to MP3 that made OGG a more recommended choice, at least for PCE CDs.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:38:10 am by Starscream »

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 08:48:39 pm »
Interesting. I would think that any time you depart from the original data structure (ie compressed audio etc) that it's entirely up to the emulator to process the modified data in a glitch-free manner. I'm assuming the TurboGrafx doesn't support MP3 natively?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 10:09:41 pm »
I don't know (thinking not) if MP3 was around in 1988 for the PCE to support (I recall in the late '90s there were freeware MP3 conversion programs but then I read patent lawsuits (was it RCA?) happened and programs started charging for MP3 encoding in "premium" bundles. Unless they were like Apple, who could clearly benefit from giving it away to lure people to iTunes.)

If it hasn't expired by now, it would certainly have been after MP3 had been greatly surpassed in popularity.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 10:18:38 pm »
The main Mp3 issue was probably related to decompressing resulting in incorrect track lengths. You can read about it if you search for TOCfixer. You might then also discover that this Nightwolve guy is still mad as ever.  :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 10:27:56 pm by Starscream »

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 05:03:45 pm »
So you need to convert this game-data track and 13 music tracks into one .bin file (of 630 MB) so you can apply the patch, right?
Yes, that's right.

There might be a better way, but the fastest way would be to mount the .cue file in Daemon Tools and then just create a new image of the virtual mounted CD using ImgBurn.  Make sense?
I've considered doing this, but never really tried. Thought it would be silly. I'll see if it works, thanks.
Currently working on: Xenogears Script Revision + Term Corrections
My ROM hacking blog: https://almagest712.blogspot.com/

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 06:35:23 pm »
The best method I've found is with ISObuster.

1) Open the cue for the split in ISObuster
2) Right-click on 'CD' (in upper left window) and select 'Extract CD <Image>' > 'raw bin/iso'
3) Right Click on 'CD' again and select 'Create CUE sheet File' > 'Image contains M1...M1...Audio'
4) Make sure the file created in step 2 has '.bin' file extension.
5) Open the generated CUE and make sure the top line references the correct file name.
 ie 'FILE "[game.bin]" BINARY'
I don't know if you missed this post earlier. I've had to do this quite often to convert my games dumped by redump's 'perfect' split method into a single image. When you mount an image in a virtual drive, it adds an extra layer of potential 'corruption'. I don't mean it makes a non-functioning image, but I have had virtual drives strip the pregaps off audio tracks, thus resizing the image which might affect the patching process. The method I mention will make an exact, concatenated version of the original pieces.  ;)

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 05:55:55 am »
Playstation CDs use non-basic modes, so they are not compatible with the ISO format, but some other CD based consoles are. Also, since some PS1 games from the PAL (Euro) region used a copy protection which stored vital game data in the subchannel data (aka LibCrypt), such games require a BIN-like format plus subchannel data.

If the PS1 game only contains 2048 sectors (no audio or m2f2) it can probably be mapped to an iso. This might work for emulators, but IIRC the first 16 sectors are messed up and you actually lose parts of a necessary pattern there (which cannot be regenerated from user data) so someone burning should prefer bin/cue or more.