News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water (glitch)  (Read 556 times)

firedropdl

• View Profile
Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water (glitch)
« on: December 28, 2017, 04:29:06 am »
Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anybody has ever played this patch here before?  http://www.romhacking.net/translations/194/

When you battle it out, quite often when selecting a command for a unit the screen bounces.  It's not a game breaking bug, as far as I can tell, but it's quite annoying.  This occurs on every emulator that I've played it on, which include Medanefen, fceumm, quicknes, and two versions of Nestopia. 

Curiously, the glitch does not occur when playing the non-patched rom. (CRC 1B93347B)

The final result of the CRC after patch is this: 9E49B111

This happens to be the translation included in both GoodNES 3.23b and the latest TOSEC set as well, which isn't a surprise since they have the matching CRC value.

This seems like a cool little game that I'd love to play, but I probably won't with that glitch.  I was wondering if anybody has tried patching other versions with any success, or if perhaps somebody could take a look under the hood and see what the problem is?

Thanks!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water (glitch)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 01:28:08 pm »
My first guess would be maybe the larger window size is a problem? (drawing a larger window takes up more of the limited Vblank time, especially if the routine wasn't speed-optimal. I had that happen in Dragon Scroll. I had to rewrite the text window routine so I could expand the window even TWO TILES without jittering.)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

firedropdl

• View Profile
Re: Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water (glitch)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 09:27:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I'll try to figure out a way to test if the window is larger.  I'm hoping that it is pretty evident, since I don't think I'll be noticing any minor variation in pixels in my old rear-projection 720 def TV.

Is this a major tweak to code if that's the case, or something that wouldn't take much effort?  I don't believe the author of the hack is around here anymore, or if they are I didn't see any recent releases by them.

January 01, 2018, 10:26:18 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
EDIT:

I've applied this patch to every version in GoodNES 3.23b as well as in the latest TOSEC and it occurs in every one. 

I am completely unable to tell on my TV if the boxes are any larger or smaller between the pre and after patched roms.

It looks as though unless anybody fixes this on a coding level that there is nothing that can be done about it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 10:26:18 am by firedropdl »