News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Asuncia (PS1) project  (Read 2395 times)

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
Asuncia (PS1) project
« on: December 27, 2017, 09:40:23 pm »
First, a question:  Does anyone know how to unlock the 'good' ending or various party members in Asuncia?
I'm trying to test-play through to check the text, but I missed 3 party members and got the bad ending. I'm hoping someone owns the strategy guide or has a link to a Japanese walkthrough. The text is scattered somewhat randomly which makes it difficult to do a polished consistent translation for an event.

About the game:
This is a fairly obscure game which has a subtitle of 'Strategic RPG'. It's likely to seem unimpressive, because the strategy elements are not standard and the early gameplay is quite easy. However, if you get past that initial let-down, there is a decent game underneath.

Gameplay
The game follows a relatively simple plot line that drives the player's party toward a goal. The object of each area being to defeat all the monsters. Maps are randomly generated and there are optional dungeons to fight through and towns to resupply. There's a timer limit, but it doesn't feel overly rushed- just enough to keep you alert. The strategy elements mostly come from managing time and money. Since items are vital, this can be challenging. Lastly, there is a score tally which measures success and can be significantly improved by defeating monsters in specific combinations. You can ignore the score completely, or think out every step to maximize point value for each level.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:40:15 pm by weissvulf »

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
Re: Asuncia (PS1) project
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 06:35:39 am »
I tried looking but all I could find was this cheat code list, including things such as high score and timer, http://www.geocities.co.jp/Colosseum/2416/omake/ps/asunsia.html plus a user-made review and a sort of blog post for it which mentions Normal/Bad ending but not in a way that explains the conditions that need to be met.

Same for video walkthroughs, though this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DOkGizp_6I at least seems to show certain events and then one of the endings, but then again, you probably searched YT for clues already.

I sure hope someone can help you with that because this one looks like one obscure puppy, and I know that issue about having to playtest something specific all too well.I once had to finish the game I'm working on more than 5 times in order to get perfect ranks for every single mission (52 in total), some of which are not all that easy to ace, all so I could test a measly sub-title string for a secret weapon...

Also, it's nice to finally see this thread posted, good luck! :thumbsup: And when the time comes that you need a proofreader like you mentioned last time we spoke, you know who to ask ;)

EDIT: forgot an important "not" in there.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 06:43:08 am by DragonSpikeXIII »

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:12:21 pm »
Thank you very much DragonSpike. I guess persevering through stuff like test-playing is why translating is often called a 'labor of love'. Why else would we do such crazy stuff!?  ;D

I had missed that end-game video - my internet connection doesn't do videos well. It will be a big help with sorting out the text order  :thumbsup:

I'm trying another playthough with different path choices, and paying more attention to scoring higher. Hopefully I'll find some of the missing party members. If all else fails, I can probably 'reverse engineer' the events and force them to run.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 01:29:15 am »
If all else fails, I can probably 'reverse engineer' the events and force them to run.

This :P
Or, I don't khow how this particular game deals whith exp/levels/equipment (to grind yourself for being able to just breeze through the whole thing.) In zill o'll, I simply made all the weapon shop weapons cost 10 gold and give you 900 strength. Playstesting difficulty level solved.

it's always a little 2-sided (for me atleast) on the other hand, I love playtesting and seeing the game coming together piece by piece, but on the other hand, going through content so many times (especially on RPG's) tends to, if not permanently, at least almost permanently kill the fun.

either way, good luck with this one. Definitely something I will check out once complete.
In PSP we trust.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 03:21:59 pm »
I think I've found the answer to the question in the top post HERE (thanks to the person who pointed me to the site). It seems to indicate that the good ending is achieved by clearing all the dungeons in the game. As far as the extra party characters, it seems there are a core group of characters which you always encounter and then two 'extra' encounters with a random character. On my second playthrough, I got one new 'extra' character and one duplicate.

Definitely a case for hacking since random+playtesting =  :banghead:

vergil2012

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 03:43:58 pm »
Gotta love searching for something where you are not sure to find the ''answer'' at all especially in a language which you dont know a single word.

Im glad i could help (at least a little bit). Im interested in every PS1 translation project, so good luck with this.

Sorry for my english.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:59:02 pm by vergil2012 »

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 04:32:15 pm »
This translation in mostly done. Some intro screens with Japanese text are stored as compressed images- nothing significant to gameplay. I could probably either convert them to non-compressed or a semi-compressed format fairly easily, but I don't know if it's worth the effort for this particular game.

There's also a small amount of Japanese in the intro movie. The perfectionist in me would love to have everything 'just right', but I seriously doubt it's worth subbing/dubbing.

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 09:13:23 am »
Hey! I came across this English-language puppy: https://gamehacking.org/game/93208 - it shows all the cheat codes for that game. Hope this helps you.

This Square Faction database page has a good description of what this game's all about (Google Translate).

ShadyRounds

• Apathetic, yet Helpful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 04:25:10 pm »
For scattered text, text might be in each area's BIN. Try mounting and dumping a disc into a folder, and checking bins with Hex Editor.

Also make sure it's text and not textures. That's all the help I can offer you, I'm not very experienced.

If I knew of a place to get an already completed perfect game saved near the end I'd just suggest you use that to get the ends of your means.

Also, this game sounds like a roguelike rpg. You have a timer and game over condition but you do better every time, right? Still interesting for it's time, few games did it well and it takes player commitment to learn and repeat. My favorite of the like, is Ur-Quan Masters (Star Control 2).
Apathetic, yet Helpful. :beer:
Project: Megaman Legends: Second Quest

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 04:46:16 pm »
Thank you both for the info :) I hadn't heard of Star Control 2, interesting.

I think I have all the text sorted out now, thanks to all the helpful people here! 

January 05, 2018, 08:29:56 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
To translate the compressed images, I've had to dig into the file system. It uses an odd system where files are looked up by name. The end result being that you can move stuff around on the disk as long as you don't change its name. Not terribly efficient, but fairly painlessly to remove/resize unneeded files (like obsolete Kanji fonts) to make space for translated files.

Tried to simplify the title so the art would come through. Am I the only one who prefers low-noise screens?
>>

January 08, 2018, 02:21:47 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Compressed images are all translated. Opening movie text is transcribed and ready for whatever is next.

In the meantime: text-free Asuncia art, perhaps never seen by the public, painstaking reconstructed for your perusal.

January 08, 2018, 11:40:10 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Translation is done. All the compressed images were translated and I used a voice over for the movie text. This was a short project; about three months of light work. People aren't likely to be standing in line to play it, but someone did take the time to add it to the 'translation request' wiki (yes, someone actually reads that list  :laugh: ), so at least one person's curiosity will be satisfied. On to other things.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:40:11 pm by weissvulf »

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 09:00:23 am »
Translation is done. All the compressed images were translated and I used a voice over for the movie text. This was a short project; about three months of light work. People aren't likely to be standing in line to play it, but someone did take the time to add it to the 'translation request' wiki (yes, someone actually reads that list  :laugh: ), so at least one person's curiosity will be satisfied. On to other things.

Good whoa, this was indeed a relatively short project! I only added the links next to that game's row in that wiki. Someone else had added it in long ago.
Oh wow, there are still hundreds of missing decent games from between 1995-2005 that have to be added to the PSX, SAT & DC lists! I think it'd take me approx. 3 years to almost do it all!

Are you gonna be picking and working on a new PSX game project? Are there any selections that you'd be keen to tackle? Or to keep it close to your guard?

cccmar

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 09:57:57 am »
Good whoa, this was indeed a relatively short project! I only added the links next to that game's row in that wiki. Someone else had added it in long ago.
Oh wow, there are still hundreds of missing decent games from between 1995-2005 that have to be added to the PSX, SAT & DC lists! I think it'd take me approx. 3 years to almost do it all!

Are you gonna be picking and working on a new PSX game project? Are there any selections that you'd be keen to tackle? Or to keep it close to your guard?

There's an insane number of untranslated PSX titles, most likely easily 1000+. The same can be said about Japanese computers - it's just hard to tell at this point which ones are worth working on and which ones aren't, as there are no comprehensive lists.

And congrats on completing the project! I will gladly give it a go later, seems to be right up my alley. :)

wanzer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:16:18 am »
Quote from: ObiKKa

Only if you take the stance that every game every made is decent...

People have UVList. Honestly I think the Translation Request list is sorta outdated. Lists of completed translations vs untranslated games are useful, but that's not what the Translations Request list is anymore. Every NES game is mentioned despite the fact that interest is practically zero. Only games with franchise names appear for most of the systems. These games many of them have already been translated and don't need further translations. Viewing the translation request list has become a waste of time compared to cross-referencing UVList with the RHDN translations database.

As for the Asuncia translation, thank you for your effort weissvulf :) I think this game will be better received than you think... it's always been one of the most wanted PSX translations based on screenshots alone.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:47:08 am by wanzer »

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 10:16:34 am »
Great job, weissvulf :thumbsup:

I've just sent you a PM with some feedback like we agreed, I'm sorry I couldn't do it just a few days earlier before release, fixing the script for AC3E has been very time-consuming.

Anyhow, I'll be sending you another round of notes very soon after I clear more stages. But I'm impressed so far, the presentation and translation quality are all top-notch!

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 07:29:09 pm »
I remember this game from many years ago, when I was looking around for interesting PS1 titles. Played this a bit and thought it was promising. Cool to see it done! I'm currently in the mood for some strategy again, might be a translation I try shortly after it's release,that happens rarely.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 06:26:39 pm »
Thank you everyone for your interest :)

In general, I enjoy doing turn based strategy games or anything with a good story. I was considering Font Mission 2. There was already a translation for it, but they didn't finish inserting the script and I've had a couple minor worries about the translation. Not sure if a new project is worth the effort since it's already mostly done. Other titles I'm considering are Hungry Ghosts (PS2) and Growlanser (PSP)

There's an insane number of untranslated PSX titles, most likely easily 1000+.
I'm amazed there hasn't been more work on translating Playstation games considering how many titles were Japan-only. I'll bet there are also several games like Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere which had stripped down pathetic official releases and need a proper translation.

Only if you take the stance that every game every made is decent...
I have noticed that simple titles with 'little interest' are often extremely easy to translate. I don't endorse translating games just 'because they exist', but from a translators point of view, sometimes it's fun to tackle a simple project as diversion. It's almost like doing a crossword puzzle.
Viewing the translation request list has become a waste of time
I think this is somewhat an issue with the wiki format in general. 'Too many cooks spoil the broth.' They tend to get people with different motives pulling in opposite directions. You end up with a mismatched hodgepodge of information that doesn't really suit anyone's need especially well.

I'm impressed so far, the presentation and translation quality are all top-notch!
Thank you for this compliment. I've rarely gotten feedback on my scripts. If I only have my 'own thoughts' to rely on for quality control, it's hard to find areas where I need to improve.

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 08:09:21 pm »
Congratulations on your release of Asuncia, I hadn't heard of the game until you began this thread but it seems pretty interesting.

Other titles I'm considering are Hungry Ghosts (PS2) and Growlanser (PSP)

I would be really excited to see someone translate the PSP version of Growlanser. I was a big fan of the 4th title, Wayfarer of Time, and I've always been curious about playing the first game.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:17:43 pm by Lentfilms »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 10:01:27 pm »
Congrats on the release.

If you're interested in PS2 translations, Dragon Shadow Spell is probably a holy grail translation for Strategy RPGs.

IIRC, the Front Mission 2 translation needs a font hack. It has a bit of T E R R A N I G M A font going on. There's also Front Mission Alternative, which I don't think was finished and abandoned.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 11:32:24 pm »
Lentfilms, I haven't played through Growlanser 1, but I liked the other Growlansers and it feels like the developer put a lot of effort into the first installment - distinct characters, good presentation, voice acting etc. It's also nice that someone has already translated most of the script.  I wish there were more hours in a day!

Pennywise, I'll check into Dragon Shadow. Sounds like it has good character development and solid gameplay. Worth looking into.
On Front Mission 2, the game natively supports a fixed width English text. I think the existing translation just used what was already built into the game. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'm grateful for their work, but it would be nice to have it prettified and complete.

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 12:03:36 am »
where can one download the translation for this? Or is it available yet? I read that you finished it I have been looking forward to trying this game out.