News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Asuncia (PS1) project  (Read 2449 times)

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
Re: Asuncia (PS1) project
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 01:15:59 am »
Sorry, about that. It's available HERE.  :thumbsup:

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 08:39:12 am »
Thank you everyone for your interest :)
In general, I enjoy doing turn based strategy games or anything with a good story. I was considering Font Mission 2. There was already a translation for it, but they didn't finish inserting the script and I've had a couple minor worries about the translation. Not sure if a new project is worth the effort since it's already mostly done
I started playing it some months ago, but what threw me off was that not only the regular dialogue between missions was still in Japanese, but some other stuff as well, which was kinda annoying. It's certainly playable, but it would be nice if it could be finished without too much effort, certainly not a  complete re-translation or something like that.

Strategy RPGs are also one of my favourite genres, though I also like other turn based stuff like simulations by Koei etc. A PS1 series I tried and found interesting is Bandai's Aubirdforce - it's 3D turn based space ship combat, which isnt't that common I think.

Congrats on the release.

If you're interested in PS2 translations, Dragon Shadow Spell is probably a holy grail translation for Strategy RPGs.

Yeah, we got Eternal Poison instead. I enjoyed that one , but Dragon Shadow Spell looked more appealing to me personally.

vergil2012

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 01:55:42 pm »
Thank you for translating the game. I will give it a try. Im interested in every translation releases for the PS1, so i appreciate this.

I was considering Font Mission 2.

I would love to see a finished product regarding Front Mission 2.

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 02:14:57 pm »
Yeah, the front mission translations are... well, i've always been told not to say anything if what i'm going to say is bad.
No sound in videos for example.

Anyway, i'd also suggest London Seirei Tanteidan if you're looking for a rpg project. Looks sweet.

Speaking of this game in particular, this translation doesn't seem to work with redump on RA mednafen. Just blackscreens forever... unless i apply error_recalc to correct the ECC/EDC.

This happen pretty often on ppf translations, maybe you should ask how to avoid it. Or maybe it's simply not possible because ppf only applies the patch to the user part of the data on the iso and was never fixed. Or quite possibly it's the actual patcher i'm using that is guilty of not doing that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:26:00 pm by SCO »

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 07:42:31 pm »
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I will look into each one. Part of my criteria is how much labor is involved, so we'll see.
In videos, I was a bit put put off by Dragon Shadow Spell's outlandishness. I can enjoy fantasy worlds or fringe science fiction, but some Japanese games seem like an assembly of cliches with no rules at all (Metal Gear). The opening has a 'pirate ship' flying over the city talking WorldWarII style on a radio, while below a boy talks to a dragon hidden in his pants. Huh!? I'm afraid it would be one of those games where your characters end up floating in space trying to save the world by extracting Dragon-Powder from Gaia's Chi  ::)

Strategy RPGs are also one of my favourite genres...also other turn based stuff...
Same as me, cool. Aubirdforce looks quite nice. Did you play it enough to know if the gameplay is solid?

SCO, thank you for mentioning this bug. The translation method I use does recalculate the error checking for modified files, but I had to edit the disk image directly for some of the compressed images (to resize files) and forgot to recalculate for that. Still, I'm surprised Mendafin would choke. Even if it used the old ECC/EDC to undo my edits, the game should still run fine. Couple questions:
Can you send me the CRC32 for the FIXED version of track 1 that runs on RetroArch?
Did it go black-screen at the startup or later?

An updated patch with some typo fixes is in the works (thanks to DragonSpikeXIII's feedback); it should include a fix for this problem too.

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 10:55:26 pm »
Mednafen RA is different from upstream RA in this respect i've found. Stricter for some reason (probably upstream divergence).

It blackscreens at boot, just before the 'xs' and that logo shows (mednafen RA doesn't show the bios).

In order:

52d7184aec32af915860ac5b78b21d8b  Asuncia - Majou no Jubaku (Japan) (Track 01).bin  (redump data track md5sum, works on both RA and standalone mednafen)

8f255d74822d700f33b5d45324aaec86  Asuncia - Majou no Jubaku (Japan) (Track 01).bin (with your patch applied, works on standalone mednafen, doesn't work -black screens- on RA mednafen)

584fc0933909ae1636255bc9649cb719  Asuncia - Majou no Jubaku (Japan) (Track 01).bin (with both your patch and error_recalc applied, works on both mednafen again).

error_recalc is like a battle axe that will cut down any mismatching ECC. I don't know if that is actually 'the best way' to fix this. It says it has a option to remove the EDC completely from mode2 form 2 sectors that 'may be optional' whatever that means, but i used the one that recalculates everything.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 01:14:17 am »
Congratulations on this! A new PS1 translation is such a nice thing to see, and this looks like an interesting game. I'm excited to try it out. :)

In general, I enjoy doing turn based strategy games or anything with a good story.

Have you ever looked at the PS1 game Happy Salvage? It's sort of a fishing/action RPG/dating sim hybrid (!!) that, at least from a distance (i.e. through the language barrier), seems like an intriguing, story-driven, and very attractive-looking game with a well-defined cast of characters. It might be up your alley, though I can't evaluate the quality of the writing.

Otherwise any untranslated turn-based strategy game on any system would be a welcome addition, of course. There are a bunch on the Mega Drive (if that platform interests you at all), like Taiga Drama Taiheiki, Bahamut Senki, Super Daisenryaku...

bukopandan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 03:53:27 am »
Congratulations for completing this translation project, it's just a shame this game still doesn't work well with EPSXE, it only plays up to the name entry, after that the game just freezes and stays on a black screen state, I have to use XEBRA just to make it work flawlessly, but without the use of save states and PEC plugin, I can't make some quick work out of this game. Anyway, great job! another Japanese PS1 title translated! if you're interested on starting another translation project, try Aconcagua, Mizzurna Falls or Ningyo no Rakuin, it's just a suggestion though. Thanks for the patch!     

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 11:42:55 am »
...Anyway, great job! another Japanese PS1 title translated! if you're interested on starting another translation project, try Aconcagua, Mizzurna Falls or Ningyo no Rakuin, it's just a suggestion though. Thanks for the patch!     

Nono, please don't do Mizzurna Falls. Someone's (Resident Eevee/Evie) doing that project with some programming partner(s).

Oh, hang on. Just two days ago that girl Resident Eevee had actually put out an update on her tumblr page on this project with the fully done English translation text files available for any people to attempt to romhack into a new patch! She's said that she hasn't been able to get in contact with the very skilled programmer that was working on it (Loboto 3/Gemini?). I think if you want to find out more you should ask Gemini here first and see how it's going.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:54:16 am by ObiKKa »

wanzer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 12:01:01 pm »
Congratulations for completing this translation project, it's just a shame this game still doesn't work well with EPSXE, it only plays up to the name entry, after that the game just freezes and stays on a black screen state, I have to use XEBRA just to make it work flawlessly, but without the use of save states and PEC plugin, I can't make some quick work out of this game. Anyway, great job! another Japanese PS1 title translated! if you're interested on starting another translation project, try Aconcagua, Mizzurna Falls or Ningyo no Rakuin, it's just a suggestion though. Thanks for the patch!     

Try pSX 1.13 and hook your video card to CRT.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 12:18:59 pm »

Same as me, cool. Aubirdforce looks quite nice. Did you play it enough to know if the gameplay is solid?

I think I played a couple of missions, there is already a lot of English during combat itself. I remember it as neat, but then there's some stuff between missions involving management (like skills or something?) that kinda put me off without being able to read it. It was originally brought to my attention by someone else who liked it, so I suppose there's the chance it's a least half-decent  :D. There are some games where I can just get by with some effort and the feeling I'm not missing out mechanics, e.g. some time ago I played a bit of Sentou Kokkai Improved, which is a lot like Daisenryaku (another favourite). I was originally planning to sell it, but then discovered I could actually figure out enough to be able to enjoy it. I wouldn't play something like Super Robot Wars without story translation though.
Perhaps you already know this, but I find this site useful when looking for games of certain genres with some visual impressions:

https://refuge.tokyo/playstation/Simulation_Tactics.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:39:31 pm by Starscream »

DragonSpikeXIII

• Team NEMO
    • View Profile
    • Project NEMO
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 04:47:29 pm »
Just sent you my latest feedback based on the release version, not playing the pre-release beta anymore, so that I'm up to date. This game's fun and easy to enjoy thanks to it being more about the action,  it not getting bogged down by the story really helps too, expect more from me soon :thumbsup:

I'm not going to suggest anything as far as future projects go, it's not something I would do, but I think it's worth mentioning the state that the Front Mission 2 fan-translation was left in, which is fully playable but not fully enjoyable, that is incomplete and with no audio during the cut-scenes. Front Mission 5 is what they were all about at first, just 5, and that was a great fan-translation, only one cut-scene had a problem after patching IIRC. There must have been a good reason behind not inserting the entirety of the script though, so that's one challenge, and the other one is the tools themselves: does someone know if they ever published their tools?

I don't even have a stake in this, I just thought it was worth mentioning. I started my AC3E project with the webmaster for that same FM project, Iceman-UK, and if their website is up once again, it's thanks to him, because everyone else looks to have left the scene entirely, project leader LegaiaRules included. It would be an interesting project to continue and finish, but aside from the script being done, it doesn't look easy.

Another game mentioned that I find interesting as a project to follow but that doesn't look like my cup of tea is Mizzurna Falls. Like ObiKKa said, there's already someone working on it, and everyone interested in it already knows that, so let's not pretend that they don't exist and that their work until now doesn't as well, like some people are already doing. I remember Gemini mentioning somewhere that he'd encountered some pretty bad bugs during insertion, it was either on Twitter or YouTube. But all that aside, I think one would better think twice before trying to get involved with this, some games just attract bad attention. Brigandine or Asuncia this is not!

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 07:16:43 pm »
SCO : Thanks for the wonderfully complete information. Big help  8)
EDIT: I've been digging into this EDC/ECC issue and it appears that I was mistaken. The tool that I believed was adjusting the BIN's error detection data (CDMage) actually just blanks the error detection value. I've done some testing and the TOOL HERE, which SCO mentioned earlier, does indeed fix the ECC/EDC values correctly. So a big thanks to STARWIN and Mr. Corlett for making this an easy fix.

If anyone reading this has no idea what a ECC/EDC is, but would like to, HERE's a simple explanation.

goldenband : Added Happy Salvage to the list to check into. Your description reminds me a bit of Azure Dreams.

bukopandan : I suspect the ePSXe issue is with the Video Plugin. The software plugins tend to have the highest compatibility. I can play past the point you mention by using the "P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver" video plugin. Like wanzer says, it also runs well on pSX v1.13. I'll check into the game's you mention.  :)

ObiKKa I always check if a project is already in progress before I start working on it. I also have a general aversion to working with a team because of numerous bad experiences, so I'll just leave this one to the people already working on it.

Starscream Thanks for the gameplay info and link. I've dug into Aubirdforce a bit and it's beautifully programmed - everything laid out in a clear structure using Sony's default formats. The story text is stored in graphics and the 'event' text is Shift-JIS. There's a slight drawback in that it appears to be using the BIOS font (no built in font to edit). That's a bit harder to adapt, but not impossible. It also appears that there was a sequel 'Aubirdforce After'; some evidence that the original had something going for it.

DragonSpikeXIII Thanks for the sage advice on Mizzurna Falls. There are plenty of good projects to work on, so no worries. On Front Mission 2 this is well put: "fully playable but not fully enjoyable". I dug into the game a while back and didn't see anything that looked especially difficult, but that's probably what Custer said right before yelling 'Charge!' I suspect the team just didn't have a hacker on this project.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:12:49 pm by weissvulf »