News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Super Famicom Wars Translation Released  (Read 5985 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Super Famicom Wars Translation Released
« on: December 24, 2017, 02:07:28 am »

Update By: optiroc

Almost 20 years after its original Japanese release, the immediate ancestor to the beloved tactics game Advance Wars is finally playable in English.

Super Famicom Wars was developed by Intelligent Systems, published by Nintendo and first released on May 1 1998. The game was available exclusively via the Nintendo Power rewritable cartridge system, making it one of the hardest Super Famicom titles to obtain.

The game was followed up by two titles for Game Boy Advance then yet another two for Nintendo DS in relatively quick succession. Since then, not much has been heard about the series' future from either Nintendo or Intelligent Systems. This is a shame, really, since the Wars series' upbeat take on turn-based military strategy is uniquely charming and accessible. So, in a way, releasing this translation makes a new game in the Wars franchise available to the English speaking world for the first time in almost ten years.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Re: Translations: Super Famicom Wars Translation Released
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 09:32:16 am »
Full disclosure, I probably won't play this game. That aside, congrats on the release. :thumbsup: I've been excited to watch the progress of this ever since I noticed it pop up on the forums, partially because Advance Wars is so well liked by so many, and partially because the hacking work on this looks great. I really appreciated seeing the work you did on the trickier screens to get to look good with all their icons and information. Maybe I'll give this a whirl sometime, but even if I don't, this is a significant release that I'm sure many will enjoy!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 12:36:07 pm »
I've been waiting for this one ever since I got my first taste of Advance Wars.  What a great Christmas gift to the community, thank you!

Gun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 02:59:10 pm »
Best christmas since 1995  ;D

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 05:09:09 pm »
Thanks for all the work you put into this, it looks great!

oracylum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 05:57:35 pm »
Thanks for the patch! Really appreciate the hard work put into it.

DrDimension

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 06:03:21 pm »
This is such a great surprise! I literally yelped when I saw this!

Thank you so much, and congratulations!

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 11:08:56 am »
I think with that the saga is fully translated into English (if there's not a BS version I though).

Thanks to the team involved in this undertaking!  :thumbsup:

And Merry Christmas!!!

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 03:52:35 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words! It feels great to have this bucket list item finally checked off...  :beer:

I think with that the saga is fully translated into English (if there's not a BS version I though).

Thanks to the team involved in this undertaking!  :thumbsup:

And Merry Christmas!!!

There are at least four BS versions actually, of which two have (to me) known dumps. They don't offer any content not in the full Nintendo Power release though, so translating those are not a terribly interesting proposition. :)

I believe none of the Game Boy Wars games are fully translated at this point. Could be a fun challenge, and Game Boy was actually the first console I coded for... Hmm.  :happy:

PersianImm0rtal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 07:31:00 pm »
Thank you so much!  ;D

Is there anyway to get a translation of the instruction manual too?

Edit: Also, just wanted to confirm this works on the Super UFO Pro 8 flashcart too.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 08:53:01 pm by PersianImm0rtal »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 04:33:22 am »
Good job guys! Nice work.  :thumbsup: :beer:

SylarDean

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 09:54:08 am »
GREAT WORK GUYS!

Teeporage777

• rom hacker of mario games
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 11:54:41 am »
looks good. cant wait to try it.  :)
"..But it doesn't matter. Nothing matters anymore.."

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 04:07:35 pm »
I've only played the GBA/DS versions.

I just booted this game and all I see are "2-4 Player" modes? Isn't there a regular story/campaign mode? Or by 2 players it means Player 1 and Computer?

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 06:33:25 pm »
I've only played the GBA/DS versions.

I just booted this game and all I see are "2-4 Player" modes? Isn't there a regular story/campaign mode? Or by 2 players it means Player 1 and Computer?

The two 2P modes, if played against Computer, are sort of campaigns. You need to clear all 15 maps, after which a final "boss map" is unlocked. There are two final maps per mode depending on which army you play. When the boss map is cleared you get a cute little ending. There's nothing in terms of story, though.

Note that if playing with "Domination" enabled the final maps are really tough, since those start off with the AI having lots of units deployed, and lots of buildings already captured.

The "Classic" 2P campaign consists of all the maps from the Famicom Wars (ie. the "NES" version of the game). The "New" 2P campaign has new maps, with some added features not present in Famicom Wars: Labs that grant you a Prototype Tank when captured, maps with railroads/depots/trains, and if I'm remembering correctly Forts are also only featured in the "New" maps.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 08:32:48 am »
Played a couple of matches... really fun game thus far! Hope you do more SNES stuff in the future, amazing job! :thumbsup:

pelham123

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 12:10:44 pm »
Congratulations optiroc and thank you for all your hard work :)

Bastion

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 07:43:16 pm »
For some reason, a lot of the text is garbled on the game in the SNESX9X emulator on the PSP. Has anyone gotten it to work perfectly on the PSP?

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 09:19:22 am »
Sounds like the same issue that ZSNES has running this. Both emulators are quite inaccurate and do lots of speed hacks. So running this on PSP is probably not possible.

d0pefish

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 03:25:22 pm »
ive sunk at least 2 dozen hours in this translation since it came out around christmas. This is a great translation, the help section is great. I have played this on several different versions of snes9x and not had any emulation/gameplay issues. At work i play it on my phone and on windows and at home i play it on my snes classic using the default emulator. I have not had any text or graphical glitches at all. This game is awesome. You can just dive right in and play the maps in whatever order you want. This instantly became one of my favorites. I'm curious to see whats in store for the 20th av version coming up in a few months.