News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: English 2nd person plural...  (Read 316 times)

ShinobiWannabe

• View Profile
English 2nd person plural...
« on: December 23, 2017, 09:21:52 pm »
Hello, so when translating should I try and make clear that the original text is using the 2nd person plural like あなたたち, あなた方, etc?  I have been trying to use "all of you", or sometimes "you all".  Or should I just use the ambiguous "you"?  Thoughts?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: English 2nd person plural...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 01:46:54 am »
Context. If it's necessary then do it, if not then don't. Sometimes other information in a sentence can tell the reader if they're addressing a group or an individual. And remember that translations don't have to be totally literal.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 07:18:45 am »
What Psyklax said.
I should also say though that slang has some wonderful choices here ranging from the classic y'all to all dem boys and things of that nature. Such things are a fairly quick and easy way to add some flavour to a character and make them a bit more distinct too.

weissvulf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 07:21:52 am »
I almost always just use 'you' unless context makes the distinction of significance. The ambiguity of 'you' is so common in English that I think our brain auto-processes it into singular or plural as evidenced by the context. In other words, if a dragon is attacking a village and the hero says 'I will save you', it's fairly obvious he means 'everyone in the village' and not just one villager.