News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [Released] Zelda II - Nightmare of Ganon (Updated - V 1.5) (Retro Achievements)  (Read 3806 times)

hollowshadow

• View Profile

This is a project I worked on over the last 6 months. It's a completely new Zelda II adventure that will challenge even the most experienced Zelda II fans & people who enjoy a challenge.

This hack is a hardtype and I'm not holding anything back with the difficulty. Don't expect enemies to take more hits then usual, the difficulty lies more in the design of the caves, palaces, random encounters, & enemy placement.

This hack is much longer then the original game because of the size of the overworld areas, caves, & palaces. Death mountain and maze island are around the same size as east/west hyrule and I used all the warp points to have more caves and bridges. It will be a long journey from the start to the palaces but there's custom coding to allow you to restart at every palace if you game over thanks to njosro.

Another feature of this romhack njosro helped with is respawning enemies. If you leave any sideview screen and return the enemies will be back (just like random encounters). I made use of as many sideview areas as possible and because enemy data is limited there's not enough enemy data to fill every scene so instead of some scenes being empty I made enemies respawn. There will be longer caves and deeper palaces.

In my last hack "New Adventure of Link" there were a few design ideas that bothered me such as the ground sometimes being at the same height as lava because there is a certain spot you stand on the edge where you would just die, I don't have that in this romhack. Another thing was not changing the towns at all, it didn't give a feeling like it's a totally new game. I put much more effort into this hack and took more time to design everything compared to only 2 months I spent on my first romhack.

My overall goal was to completely redesign everything so it feels like playing a new Zelda II. It's got a new story, overworld, caves, palaces, towns, item order, random encounters, and more. All the overworld/sideview is hand designed and nothing in the romhack is randomized.

Release date is: February 5th 2018

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3857/

Play with Retro Achievements:
http://retroachievements.org/Game/11689

Pics:

World Map:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:24:39 pm by hollowshadow »

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
Re: Zelda II - Nightmare of Gannon
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 12:36:36 am »
looks amazing! especially that overworld

but it just looks too punishing for me. the original game is as far north of easy as i like to go.

i even use the Zelda 2 "Easy" hack for my replays (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1084/)

but for the Z2 die-hards, i'm sure they'll love it. i just wish someone would do a new Zelda 2 that is on the easier side for the Zelda 2 novices to enjoy (maybe an Easy version?, but those always feel incomplete because it is designed to be difficult)

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 12:56:28 am »
I mean, it's no Pimpdaddy Link, but...

Sorry, bad joke.

Looks cool. I'll probably have to game genie to get through it, but it's always nice to see ZII get some love.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

thedarkbanshee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 03:18:56 am »
Zelda ll hardly gets any hacks. I am willing to try this demo out an give an opinion. I wonder about the difficoulty because many hacks of any game tent to be just way to hard. So I hope it is harder but within reason unlike so many on this site. it honestly needs a reasonable balance.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 08:36:04 am »
Dude, this looks freaking awesome. I can't wait to play it <3

Ice Man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 08:57:59 am »
Looks very nice. Can't wait to play it either. :D

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 12:03:47 pm »
Zelda II is already a rather difficult game but I still would like to test your hack when it'll be complete.

itemdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 07:23:37 pm »
nice to see your still at it making z2 hacks. I enjoyed your first hack. I like some of the new ideas you've added could be very interesting. can't wait to play this. My only hope is that its not a save state hack i generally dont care for those. I dont mind punishing ive done 1-3-1 leveling in z2 and beat it so it just needs to be fair hard. hope you can hit that mark.

Airikita

• Running through my mind is hell...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 08:58:07 pm »
Are you planning a theme with it?
A nightmare mod of Zelda II... I already found the game pretty difficult, but yeah, there is a good niche group out for the hardcore style game to say "yeah, I beat that!", so it sounds like a fun idea!

If it's a nightmare, are you planning a new story/theme too?
It would be cool to go for Ganon having difficulty controlling his own creations, and feeding off the power of his own menace that way.

I can see an interesting plot twist, and I think there's already a save state hack for Zelda II?

It's always interesting to see hardmode hacks, and I'm a sucker for Zelda games.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 09:33:22 pm »
You may want to consider making your mod compatible with https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3716/ for the sake of aesthetics.
Also, this hack https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1276/ got quite a bit of attention. Incorporating similar elements may make your hack the go to for Zelda 2, though it looks as if it is anyways.

itemdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 10:42:51 pm »
there a couple of ice penguin hacks zelda 2 part 2 and part 3 that i feel are save state oriented hacks. exteme low xp 1 heart 1 magic container to start with you have to hit everything a 1000 times XD just not my cup of tea hope this isnt like that. but i played your other hack and it wasnt so i have high hopes.

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 11:43:33 pm »
there a couple of ice penguin hacks zelda 2 part 2 and part 3 that i feel are save state oriented hacks. exteme low xp 1 heart 1 magic container to start with you have to hit everything a 1000 times XD just not my cup of tea hope this isnt like that. but i played your other hack and it wasnt so i have high hopes.
LoL... omg that makes me giggle.. I get hacking health and whatnot, but... ahahaha, even an impossible mod needs a bit of balance or give, like an Achilles' heel.

hollowshadow

• View Profile
Re: Zelda II - Nightmare of Ganon
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 12:35:00 am »
Are you planning a theme with it?
A nightmare mod of Zelda II... I already found the game pretty difficult, but yeah, there is a good niche group out for the hardcore style game to say "yeah, I beat that!", so it sounds like a fun idea!

If it's a nightmare, are you planning a new story/theme too?
It would be cool to go for Ganon having difficulty controlling his own creations, and feeding off the power of his own menace that way.

I can see an interesting plot twist, and I think there's already a save state hack for Zelda II?

It's always interesting to see hardmode hacks, and I'm a sucker for Zelda games.

Yes "Nightmare of Ganon" is the theme, the story is similar to the original Zelda II but instead of Zelda being put under a sleeping spell this time it's Ganon. How does this happen? Well in the previous Zelda II Ganon lived on but was feeling very defeated. All we know is after Link woke up Zelda somehow Ganon stole the triforce back again but when not sure what to do with it he started to go into a downward spiral where he became very depressed. Meanwhile Link is adventuring around being the hero of Hyrule. Ganon finally tries to take his own life but he failed and ended up in a mental facility. While in the facility Ganon is put in a medically induced coma or maybe just a dream facility matrix & comes to learn that he can sort of manipulate reality from his dreams with the power of the triforce, Ganon gets so angry that his dream world appears to be reality & Link is transported into his biggest challenge yet so Link has to find his way free so he can return to reality again. None of this is confirmed but that's what i'm thinking so far.

I tried to make it increasingly more difficult the further you get into the game while still feeling like a natural difficulty progression. You will find bots in the grassy areas of the starting zone & easier version of enemies first in caves, then medium after that & hard version of enemies further on. My idea of "hardtype" is not really just a bunch of the most powerful guys being thrown at you in a totally unnatural way early in the game, more of a warning that it will be a challenge to even people who have already played (and mastered) the original game but as long as you know how to deal with the enemies and are decent at platforming you should be fine to not have to save state like you're describing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:39:57 am by hollowshadow »

Airikita

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2017, 01:49:02 pm »
Yes "Nightmare of Gannon" is the theme, the story is similar to the original Zelda II but instead of Zelda being put under a sleeping spell this time it's Gannon. How does this happen? Well in the previous Zelda II Gannon lived on but was feeling very defeated. All we know is after Link woke up Zelda somehow Gannon stole the triforce back again but when not sure what to do with it he started to go into a downward spiral where he became very depressed. Meanwhile Link is adventuring around being the hero of Hyrule. Gannon finally tries to take his own life but he failed and ended up in a mental facility. While in the facility Gannon is put in a medically induced coma or maybe just a dream facility matrix & comes to learn that he can sort of manipulate reality from his dreams with the power of the triforce, Gannon gets so angry that his dream world appears to be reality & Link is transported into his biggest challenge yet so Link has to find his way free so he can return to reality again. None of this is confirmed but that's what i'm thinking so far.
lol, Ganon getting depressed, it's so perfect... yeah, then he lost control of his minions from being in a deep sleep, I like it! It works with Zelda II because you don't see Ganon much aside from the Game Over screen.

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 01:28:02 pm »
This looks really good. These screenshots show a lot of nice ideas. This is so exciting!!

Also, you will be the first to make (serious) use of the town editing features... let me know how it goes.

hollowshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 09:13:11 pm »
UPDATE: I made some major progress on this romhack Great Palace is now done! So that means all the gameplay areas are completely changed and the hack can be played from start to finish now. I changed some text/graphics on the game over screen & ending scene to fit the theme of the romhack. Also the opening story text is complete. All that's left is to redesign the towns and npc dialogue which is more just for aesthetics to give the game a completely new feeling. I'll be changing the story to match the theme of the romhack when you talk to NPCs with hints that relate to how to progress. I Expect release early February but could be done sooner.

itemdrop

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 11:52:49 pm »
id be happy to test when the towns are done if your looking for that kind of thing. if not cant wait for release

hollowshadow

• View Profile
Re: [Released] Zelda II - Nightmare of Ganon
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 07:54:23 am »
UPDATE: ROMHACK HAS BEEN RELEASED! 

Have fun & good luck!

Download Zelda II - Nightmare of ganon:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3857/

I recommend using Floating IPS to patch the rom.

Important:
Remember to create a new file name when applying the .ips to "Zelda 2 - The Adventure of Link (U)" because it could mess up doors if you don't rename it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:38:40 am by hollowshadow »

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
Re: [Released] Zelda II - Nightmare of Gannon
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 08:35:32 pm »
It looks good hollowshadow. I will check it out when I get a day off.

I've been working on my own Zelda 2 hack as well, and hopefully I can have my fully working soon.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

hollowshadow

• View Profile
Re: [Released] Zelda II - Nightmare of Ganon
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 12:58:46 am »
Update Version 1.1:

-Changed everywhere in the hack "Gannon" to "Ganon" including a new title screen, npc dialog, & in game text.
  -Room before Death Mountain was changed to make it more fair:

Before:After:

Version 1.2 fixes:

-Overworld map changed allowing access to King's Tomb right after Death Mountain. This is to avoid backtracking.
  -Overworld map changed adding a shortcut just north of King's Tomb opening up a path to the forest above. This will decrease travel distance and add an alternate route.
  -Experience needed to level up increased because of respawning enemies levels were gained too fast.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:42:05 pm by hollowshadow »