I started messing with Baroque on the Saturn over the past few days, and I wanted to make this thread to share what I found
I'm relatively new to romhacking so bear with me.
All the text for the game is in these 4 files on the disc
AB_MES.MSB -> has text relating to settings options menus etc.
ALLMSG.MSB -> has all the dialogue in it
ITEM.MSB -> Item info
I'm relatively certain .CAK files are movie files.
I've been scraping together a table file using a hex editor in order to extract the script.https://pastebin.com/daBDmDUT
thats what I have so far.
Kanji are 2 bytes, kana and romanji character are 1 byte. Kanji starts at F803, and goes up to FA0E so far
I've been able to substitute some English for the menus using the in game romanji fonts, but I have some issues with the spacing (title menu options are all 5 characters long and it doesn't display right with more or less).
Once I have all the kanji in the game mapped out, then I'm going to dump the script, and run it through a text analyzer for fun, find common words, find the script size, things like that. Will probably update progress on this later, but for now Smash Ultimate is done downloading.