News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Help with editing text in game's script? (Skies of Arcadia Legends)  (Read 262 times)

purr

• View Profile
Greetings.

I am working on touching up the translation and correcting spelling mistakes for a GC game. This is just a personal project of mine.

However, the text is in .sct files and while I can open them, the text is a mix of words and symbols, so it seems I cannot edit them directly with just a simple text editor.

While there is a tool here for download on this site especially made for editing this game, I cannot fit all the text I would like in a few of the dialogue boxes since there is a character limit for each dialogue box.  I would think more characters can fit, since these certain dialogue boxes have a lot more characters in the Japanese version than the English version.  I thought maybe this was some limit of the editing tool and not the game itself.

So, I thought maybe I could edit the script files directly instead, but was wondering if there is a special tool for that.

Thank you for reading and I would appreciate any assistance.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:18:26 pm by purr »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with editing text in .sct?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 10:39:52 pm »
While there is a tool here for download on this site especially made for editing this game
Why don't you just tell us the name of the game you are working on? ".sct" is not very meaningful.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

purr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 06:37:03 am »
My apologies about that.

The .sct files are Windows Script Components and the game is Skies of Arcadia Legends.

I have been using the SOALeditor that is available on this site to edit the dialogue.

It seems the limit on the number of characters is coded in the script file itself because if I use the  script file from the Japanese version, the number of characters that can fit in the dialogue boxes is different. (While I was able to get all the text I wanted in the two boxes I was having the short limit on by using the Japanese script file, a few other boxes ended up having a smaller limit than the English version. )

I only really need to increase the character limit on only two message boxes in only one script. I was hoping there was some way to increase the limit or edit the words by editing the script file directly.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 10:29:56 pm »
The .sct files are Windows Script Components and the game is Skies of Arcadia Legends.

I have been using the SOALeditor that is available on this site to edit the dialogue.
I think whoever wrote SOALEditor just decided that ".sct" was a convenient three-letter extension and did not care that ".sct" was also used for Windows Script Components already.  (That sort of thing happens all the time.)

Unfortunately that's just about all I can tell you.  Maybe you can edit your thread title to mention Skies of Arcadia Legends.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

purr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 01:17:13 pm »
Oh, I am not too knowledgeable on file types and such. Although, they are as ."sct" when extracted directly from the game itself.

Thanks for the assistance, though. I was hoping this was not going to be a complicated thing, but I guess all games are different. This is the first time I tried to alter a game's files, so I was not sure how difficult it would be to approach.