News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Megaman: Super - 16-bit Graphics Pack for Mesen  (Read 76262 times)

Sef

• View Profile
Re: Megaman: Super - 16-bit Graphics Pack for Mesen
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2021, 11:27:29 pm »
Hey! Just made an account to this forum too.
First, I want to thank you and everyone involved in this project! The results are amazing! :thumbsup: :woot!:
I've already played dozens of times with various customizations

Just a minor issue, I've downloaded the last version and realized that the hires.txt from the Customization's patches are outdated (does not contain the latest fixes). Also, the <patch> lines are wrong on those hires.txt too (Mega Man 1 - Super.ips instead of Megaman - Super.ips). I've managed to fix it for me by changing the filename.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2021, 02:11:47 am »
I gave your HD Pack a whirl, and I'm incredibly impressed by your work, and some added features you put into the game to make MM1 a even better experience beyond the original design of the developers.

I really noticed no issues aside from NES issues like graphical flickering that can't really be avoided and sound cackling that tends to happen when you mod the music (experienced this from MSU-1 specifically for SNES).

But it didn't minus the experience at all.

I hope this inspires people to do this for Mega Man 2-6
EDIT - I just read your youtube comment, I'm excited that is actually in the works!

I had no idea HD Packs had this kind of power, I thought it was just a simple graphical change, but I had no idea it went beyond that.

This is a big game changer for NES games if there is enough interest.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2021, 04:39:12 am »
Hello! Been a fan of sidescrollers such as Mega Man and Castlevania franchises for a few years. Your works are brilliant, cheers! Although I'm not a fan of the replaced Iceman, Bombman and Fireman themes, (and I believe there're others who were against the replaced themes) it would be cool if the theme tracks used in Powered Up for these levels were available as either the default or the optional presets to make the overall music style consistent.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 04:49:16 am by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2021, 05:19:27 am »
An outstanding pack! Good work! :thumbsup:

DemoniusX

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2021, 06:28:26 am »
Great hack! Love the graphics and look it's been given...however I have a problem. I can't get the new music to work. I just have the NES tracks which is fine but I would like to hear the new tracks while playing this. any help is appreciated!

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2021, 12:15:10 pm »
Hey! Just made an account to this forum too.
First, I want to thank you and everyone involved in this project! The results are amazing! :thumbsup: :woot!:
I've already played dozens of times with various customizations

Just a minor issue, I've downloaded the last version and realized that the hires.txt from the Customization's patches are outdated (does not contain the latest fixes). Also, the <patch> lines are wrong on those hires.txt too (Mega Man 1 - Super.ips instead of Megaman - Super.ips). I've managed to fix it for me by changing the filename.

My bad, I'll fix that soon! And welcome to ROMhacking too!

Great hack! Love the graphics and look it's been given...however I have a problem. I can't get the new music to work. I just have the NES tracks which is fine but I would like to hear the new tracks while playing this. any help is appreciated!

I'll be home soon and look into it! By chance did you use the customization option to keep the pause feature? If so, a quick fix is to follow what Sef mentioned and change the patch listed in hires.txt to exactly "Megaman - Super.ips" (no quotes) because it sounds like no patch is being applied. I'll fix this correctly as soon as I get home :)

kaine23

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2021, 01:55:02 pm »
A work of art!

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2021, 08:06:23 pm »
Thank you all for your kind words, really means a lot that you're enjoying it!

I fixed the hires issue. DemoniusX, let me know if this fixes your issue as well.

Need to address this: we've ran into an issue with a "copyright" claim on v2.1.3. Only the version with BGM though, which is something I figured would happen before release and why I didn't include BGM on the github repo. 2.1.4 is posted and only has the graphics includes the NES music patch by default. (So swap it out if you're upgrading and want the remixed music)

I think using entirely fan made remixes should be immune to these copyright strikes, but really, who knows, since this is all bullshit anyway. Anyone can listen to, download, and whatever else to all these songs from youtube and they do so every minute of every day. I'm brainstorming solutions and will update on the situation when I can.

Hello! Been a fan of sidescrollers such as Mega Man and Castlevania franchises for a few years. Your works are brilliant, cheers! Although I'm not a fan of the replaced Iceman, Bombman and Fireman themes, (and I believe there're others who were against the replaced themes) it would be cool if the theme tracks used in Powered Up for these levels were available as either the default or the optional presets to make the overall music style consistent.

Thanks! Yeah, understandable! I wanted to originally make a few different music packs, one of which was entirely Powered Up's soundtrack, one of fan remixes, etc. I tried to use as little of Capcom's own versions of the MM1 compositions to avoid copyright claims... but alas ::)

That said, it's fairly easy to swap music in and out and for end users to make packs. I'll work on a tutorial for how to figure out loop points, but it's pretty straightforward if you've ever used Audacity before. Right now though, I'm going to focus on getting permission from more remixers to include their works as the main music pack going forward.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2021, 12:22:34 am »
Thank you all for your kind words, really means a lot that you're enjoying it!

I fixed the hires issue. DemoniusX, let me know if this fixes your issue as well.

Need to address this: we've ran into an issue with a "copyright" claim on v2.1.3. Only the version with BGM though, which is something I figured would happen before release and why I didn't include BGM on the github repo. 2.1.4 is posted and only has the graphics includes the NES music patch by default. (So swap it out if you're upgrading and want the remixed music)

I think using entirely fan made remixes should be immune to these copyright strikes, but really, who knows, since this is all bullshit anyway. Anyone can listen to, download, and whatever else to all these songs from youtube and they do so every minute of every day. I'm brainstorming solutions and will update on the situation when I can.

Thanks! Yeah, understandable! I wanted to originally make a few different music packs, one of which was entirely Powered Up's soundtrack, one of fan remixes, etc. I tried to use as little of Capcom's own versions of the MM1 compositions to avoid copyright claims... but alas ::)

That said, it's fairly easy to swap music in and out and for end users to make packs. I'll work on a tutorial for how to figure out loop points, but it's pretty straightforward if you've ever used Audacity before. Right now though, I'm going to focus on getting permission from more remixers to include their works as the main music pack going forward.

Thanks for the reply. Sad to hear that the BGMs were somehow clashed with copyright issue, sometimes the policy would be pretty blah these years... Oh well. But don't be let down by those stuff. Have hopes, bro. We'll be waiting for the custom music tutorial.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:29:34 am by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

lan-vuhoang

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2021, 03:13:24 am »
Luckily, I have this all the way from v2.0, so i could just reuse the BGM folder there.

Though when I update, I have to do all the customization again to get the results I want (Megaman skin, JP Megaman logo, blue background, original art and robot masters in title screens, sprites in robot master selection). :(

Is there a way to make this less painful?

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2021, 03:23:16 am »
Luckily, I have this all the way from v2.0, so i could just reuse the BGM folder there.

Though when I update, I have to do all the customization again to get the results I want (Megaman skin, JP Megaman logo, blue background, original art and robot masters in title screens, sprites in robot master selection). :(

Is there a way to make this less painful?

Good point! I can make a zip for each update that contains only the files modified. Any further versions will have a "full" version (for now, without the BGM) and an update version. (I'll rename the "update only" links on the first post to "no BGM" too.)

Another idea I just had, you could create a folder, copy the customizations to it first, then copy everything into the main folder. I'll still do those zips with only the updated files, so users can see if any of their customizations were affected by the update.

EDIT: So every version of this was copyright claimed despite 2.1.4 have no music.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:01:53 pm by AxlRocks »

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2021, 12:07:23 pm »
EDIT: So every version of this was copyright claimed despite 2.1.4 have no music.

Wait, so does this mean that the entire project is cancelled????
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2021, 12:56:38 pm »
Wait, so does this mean that the entire project is cancelled????

Not cancelled but I'm really ticked off about this. I can't see how anything here is somehow more copyright infringing than any other fan game, ROM hack, sprites on a site, or whatever because there's 0 game data included in it and everything that is included at this point is a total remix of the original assets.

For now, I've added mirrors.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 01:35:01 pm by AxlRocks »

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2021, 05:37:11 pm »
Not cancelled but I'm really ticked off about this. I can't see how anything here is somehow more copyright infringing than any other fan game, ROM hack, sprites on a site, or whatever because there's 0 game data included in it and everything that is included at this point is a total remix of the original assets.

For now, I've added mirrors.

Whew, I thought I couldn't download the project anymore. I've been waiting a little while to download it just in case any extra features are added and/or bugs are fixed. It's good to know that it's still available (for now).
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2021, 07:26:48 pm »
Yeah that is extremely bogus whoever made that copyright claim, its not a fan game in the traditional sense since its just essentially a Mod Pack to completely alter the look of the game which has been a thing since PC gaming was a thing.

Hopefully you can fight back.

Still out of all the projects that have done similar (and MSU-1), why they going after you? Music is one thing fine, but clearly they have their head up their ass.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 07:35:22 pm by Kallisto »

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2021, 08:10:32 pm »
I want to dispute it but Mega requires that I give my name and address to even begin a dispute, and I'm just not willing to do so. So the music is now nowhere to download and I've added disclaimers everywhere I can to address that Megaman is owned by Capcom and so on. Just have to see what happens I guess.

And yeah, I half get the music being an issue - but then again, what is the difference in having all these tracks uploaded on YouTube for free vs including chopped off versions intended for use in a mod? Where is the profit loss in either, but especially in my usage vs Youtube's? There isn't.

And I can't help how people obtain a copy of a 35 year old game to use with this pack. Their actions are not my responsibility.

I'm known to be paranoid but I really feel like I'm being unusually targeted.

lan-vuhoang

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2021, 08:52:46 pm »
Whew, I thought I couldn't download the project anymore. I've been waiting a little while to download it just in case any extra features are added and/or bugs are fixed. It's good to know that it's still available (for now).
Even the Mega link is still online.
Phew.

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2021, 01:23:40 pm »
Hey all, great news!

First of all, casualtom82/Tom Lyman streamed a full playthrough of version 2.0 a few days ago and has permitted me to link to it on the first post. Check it out sometime!

I have not one, but two full Music Packs in the works. Both RushJet1 and bsolmaz13 have given me permission to make their remixes into music packs! Check them out here:

bsolmaz13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H01l87VKXyw&list=PLQ6Fdo5Rx2_LnpTWafJHbNVAguGRjf7j2&index=1

RushJet1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQDpxzbJqQ

I will be turning these into the tutorial for creating your own music that loops as well.

Give all these creators some love and I'll be posting again soon with updates on the music packs!

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2021, 12:38:07 am »
NOICE!!!
I love both of those, but the bsolmaz13 one is my preferred option.
I've followed his channel for years and eagerly awaited each release he made for the Revised remixes.
That tears it, I have to make a hack that adds in Timeman, Oilman, and Bondman.
With the graphics and music updated like this it'll be my dream update to Megaman!

Supergamerguy

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2021, 07:44:31 am »
NOICE!!!
I love both of those, but the bsolmaz13 one is my preferred option.
I've followed his channel for years and eagerly awaited each release he made for the Revised remixes.
That tears it, I have to make a hack that adds in Timeman, Oilman, and Bondman.
With the graphics and music updated like this it'll be my dream update to Megaman!

PLEASE DO! I know it would take a lot of ASM coding, but man, would it be cool.