News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Take-Two Interactive: Gaming will be "100% digital" in 5 - 20 years  (Read 3373 times)

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
http://www.gamezone.com/news/take-two-interactive-gaming-will-be-100-digital-in-5-20-years-3461451

Now I'm afraid about the future....

For me, there's no reason to go 100% digital, many people (like me) still buy physical copies of games. I believe both digital and physical games can co-exist together.
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Take-Two Interactive: Gaming will be "100% digital" in 5 - 20 years
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 04:59:50 pm »
If downloadable games is the same as my ability to buy and resell second hand DVDs, give them to my mates, rock up to have an evening round theirs and such then I am OK with that.

Pending that day they can keep it.

Given many of the bigger providers of such services fight tooth and nail against it, and where it does get forced by law offer the barest token implementation/compliance... yeah.

If they also want to offer a service where I can wander somewhere and have a future SD card get a game stuffed on there then even better.

NERV Agent

• Cureable if treated early by meds from Dr. Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:10:26 pm »
I just hope these new games won't require a "logged in to online account at all times" DRM. Also, I'd like to pay for the game only once, and not have to pay a an extra fucking subscription fee every month/year just to play the game I bought.

I still appreciate the good old days when I can buy a cartridge or disc that is fully paid for at the register, and I can pop it into a console and play it whenever I want without being online, no extra charges included.
Pen Pen Toblerone Vomit Pooh Cancer is waifu of the year. Fucking Internet....

Goblin Slayer is a heartwarming tale of magical teenage adventurers overcoming adversity with the power of friendship and believing in oneself. Wholesome family entertainment! Watch it now!

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 05:14:27 pm »
I have no problem with this.  I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in... 4 years?  5?  It seems like an antiquated concept to me.

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 08:35:49 pm »
I just hope these new games won't require a "logged in to online account at all times" DRM. Also, I'd like to pay for the game only once, and not have to pay a an extra fucking subscription fee every month/year just to play the game I bought.

Yeah, you'll probably start seeing stupid shit like certain games being available by lease only requiring you to buy it again once your lease expires and it will probably only be only accessible via server. I'd expect companies to become even worse about releasing buggy, unfinished products that require constant updates too.

I still appreciate the good old days when I can buy a cartridge or disc that is fully paid for at the register, and I can pop it into a console and play it whenever I want without being online, no extra charges included.

With that in mind it'll be fun watching developers jump through hoops trying to convince us that a digital only format will actually be good for us and not just good for their bottom line.

I'm glad I decided to stop playing new games after rediscovering the PS1. That system has at least 300 games that I'm seriously interested in so I'm not going to miss this sorry, washed-up industry one bit. Let it burn...

weissvulf

• Good news! An anomaly solved the enigma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 08:57:43 pm »
I collected games for years and own around 1000 complete physical copies. They are like pieces of art and story books all in one. I enjoy going to my 'bookshelf', pulling down a volume, thumbing through the manual and playing the finely crafted experience which many developers worked very hard to create. I gave up collecting with the PS3 generation because physical games became increasingly 'incomplete' - requiring huge bug-fix downloads to function, and missing massive DLC expansions. The console industry has lost my business.

Most people don't get that digital downloading isn't an option for a percentage of the world's population. Granted, it's a small percentage - which is why it's largely ignored by developers, but I happen to be one of them. I pay $70 a month for a 250mb per day connection. It's not an option for me to download a 1GB patch just to play a buggy game released before it was complete. I miss the days when video games were a self-contained, finely polished piece of art.

The only new games I buy anymore are through GOG.com. As far as I'm concerned, they're the 'last bastion of sanity' in the gaming industry.

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 09:00:37 pm »
Yeah, you'll probably start seeing stupid shit like certain games being available by lease only requiring you to buy it again once your lease expires and it will probably only be only accessible via server.

They already do this with Microsoft Office. I wouldn't be surprised if this was implemented in games soon.

I'm glad I decided to stop playing new games after rediscovering the PS1. That system has at least 300 games that I'm seriously interested in so I'm not going to miss this sorry, washed-up industry one bit. Let it burn...

Now more than ever the retro systems/games will be in demand. Clone consoles, repros, etc.

My interests in video games is also focused on old school PS2 and Dreamcast era. The only reason I would want a PS4 is to install Linux on it and use it as a Linux PC.

Also, microtransactions.

"Sega re-released Sonic 3 in HD on Android and PS4 store! But you need to pay $60 to access the Special Stages, another $60 to actually collect a single chaos emerald, and another $60 dollars to be able to pause the game so you have time to cry about the ongoing rape of your wallet and childhood memories!"

Goblin Slayer is a heartwarming tale of magical teenage adventurers overcoming adversity with the power of friendship and believing in oneself. Wholesome family entertainment! Watch it now!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 10:06:00 pm »
I have no problem with this.  I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in... 4 years?  5?  It seems like an antiquated concept to me.
But will you be able to play those games you bought in say another 10 years when the services that sold you the game go down? If you don't care about that, then not a problem.

Then again, NBA 2K18 has become one of the posterchilds lately for a literally pointless physical release: they only include part of the game on the physical media and require download some to the console in order for the game to function, removing the reason people would want a physical copy in the first place.

Resident Evil Revelations for Switch was another example, but it sounds like at least you get one of the two games playable on the physical media so it's not completely unusable?
Wasn't there a Namco Museum on the 360 that similarly only gave some of the advertised games on the disc and for the others you were essentially pre-paying for DLC when you bought the disc? (can't remember for sure if it was Namco, could've been someone else like Midway)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 12:56:14 am »
I enjoy going to my 'bookshelf', pulling down a volume, thumbing through the manual

Ah, manuals... Those were great. Instructions, character art, etc. Good stuff. That, the disc and the box really added to the atmosphere and "mystique" of a game.

They already do this with Microsoft Office. I wouldn't be surprised if this was implemented in games soon.

Yikes.

Now more than ever the retro systems/games will be in demand. Clone consoles, repros, etc.

Yeah, I'm riding that wave all the way to the bank. I recently sold $400 worth of N64 games in a matter of hours. In fact, very few of the retro video items I've sold on eBay lately have taken more than a day or two to be snapped up.

My interests in video games is also focused on old school PS2 and Dreamcast era.

I love the PS2 library but I finally decided to sell my PS2 and games because I already had too many games with all the systems I had. There's just so many games and I only have one lifetime. To me the PS1 just has a special sort of vibe too since it was such a huge leap forward from the 16-bit era and a very experimental period for some of the best developers and before some of the best turned to shit (I'm looking at YOU, Konami!).

I don't know why, but I can play a game like Vampire Hunter D which has absolutely terrible controls (D drives more than he walks, like controlling a bulldozer or something) and it doesn't bother me to take the time to get used to that awkwardness. Any other system and I'd be like "This sucks. Next game please." Probably a nostalgia thing I guess. It also makes some such games easier if I play with the special controller I made where the d-pad is in 4 separate pieces that can move independently instead of one big piece. My other controllers have thumbsticks glued on top of the d-pads which really makes up for the lack of analog support in some games. I'll never use a regular d-pad again.

I'm just now realizing that I have never customized another other system as much as I have my PS1's. I even put a blue LED inside my clear red controller so it has a sort of purple caste to it. After I finish selling off the rest of my N64 and PS2 stuff it'll be the only system I have left. Got rid of my NES and SNES too. I even put all of my emulators and ROMs on backup discs. Nothing but PS1 in my foreseeable future.

Also, microtransactions.

Exactly. Microtransactions are a huge, disgusting tumor on the gaming industry.

Then again, NBA 2K18 has become one of the posterchilds lately for a literally pointless physical release: they only include part of the game on the physical media and require download some to the console in order for the game to function, removing the reason people would want a physical copy in the first place.

+

(I'm looking at YOU, Konami!)

:D

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 05:42:08 am »
With that in mind it'll be fun watching developers jump through hoops trying to convince us that a digital only format will actually be good for us and not just good for their bottom line.
You say that but they raised the bar for idiocy really high with their anti second hand rhetoric. That said some actually bought into the anti second hand stuff so I will instead look forward to the justifications from the morons/Stockholm syndrome types.

Edit
"Also, microtransactions."
I don't see those all that differently to the coin op/arcade era.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 11:22:53 am »
But will you be able to play those games you bought in say another 10 years when the services that sold you the game go down? If you don't care about that, then not a problem.

1)  It depends on the game and where you bought it from.  As mentioned, GOG does not have this problem.
2)  It's a pretty safe bet to say that Steam will still be around in 10 years.  At least, I would be willing to bet.
3)  On a 10+ year timeline, I think Windows compatibility problems would be a much bigger issue anyway.  Who knows if a game designed for 2005 PCs will run on 2025 PCs?

I'm glad I decided to stop playing new games after rediscovering the PS1.

You just haven't been playing the right new games.  Either that or you're blinding yourself with stubbornness.

Good games are still being made.  But it's like games of any other area -- the vast majority of what gets released is trash.  The main difference is that for some unknown reason more people are willing to buy the trash now than they were before.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 02:47:40 pm »
Virtualisation is basically there now so that is not such a concern. Not to mention the refinements we are seeing are going about in line with the performance, or there is a reason I can still get by quite happily with my core2 laptop where the equivalently old machine at the time this was new would have been junk.

Steam in 10 years. I can see it going away, or at least being a zombie (technically myspace, digg, secondlife, funnyordie, stumbleupon, mapquest and AOL have something there, and it was only this year del.icio.us was shuttered). It sounds like Steam/valve have done a pretty good job of eroding their developer base and if things have interesting licensing ( http://www.ibtimes.com/licensed-music-tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-be-blamed-games-retirement-steam-2564043 ). MS have also shuttered a few services over the years.
I am not going to bet big but one of those raving Steam fanboys wants to give me silly odds I will put down something.

On the flip side I would not be surprised in the least to see Valve turn it around.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 03:46:10 pm »
Guys, guys, guys... it's 2017. I can sit at my computer and download and play practically every single game from every single platform, from 1975 to now. Even games that were written by a teenager in his bedroom for the ZX Spectrum, and sold through an advert in a magazine, probably selling a hundred copies or less. Do you really think I won't be able to play GTA5 in 30 years? :D

"Oh woe, online only games, they'll all disappear forever". Sure, just like the Star Wars Holiday Special. Maybe this is a controversial position, but hackers, crackers and ROM hoarders have done a damn sight more for video game preservation than any publisher. I have faith that if The Man withdraws our favourite game from sale, your friendly neighbourhood hacker will be on hand to help out. ;)

You guys need to chill, bruh. 8)

And by the way, I agree with Disch: if you're going to say "every game since I was a child is shit", you're playing the wrong games. I love Steam, I can get awesome games for under two bucks, and there are way more good games coming out because of online distribution. Small devs and publishers have much more of a chance to find an audience than ever. Need I remind you that, adjusted for inflation, a copy of Street Fighter 2 on the SNES would set you back over $100?!

Never mind, rant over. ;)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 06:53:31 pm »
Need I remind you that, adjusted for inflation, a copy of Street Fighter 2 on the SNES would set you back over $100?!

This.  This is really key to remember.

It was not uncommon for NES games to be priced at $50 or even $60+ at the time of their release.  In 1987.  30 years later, and modern games cost about the same -- often much less ... despite inflation.  Games are cheaper and more easily available now than they've ever been -- and part of that is because of digital distribution.

Take a game like Ori & the Blind Forest, for instance.  I'm using it as an example even though it's 2 years old now because I just recently tried in and completely fell in love.  The game is a friggin masterpiece, and IMO stands alongside the Metroidvania greats of the past... and it's $20.  A third of the price of Super Metroid or SotN -- and every bit as worthy of being played.

This kind of release just didn't happen in the pre-digital era.

EDIT:  sorry but I can't help gushing over this game.  I mean LOOK AT IT
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:02:21 pm by Disch »

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 07:55:54 pm »
Guys, guys, guys... it's 2017. I can sit at my computer and download and play practically every single game from every single platform, from 1975 to now. Even games that were written by a teenager in his bedroom for the ZX Spectrum, and sold through an advert in a magazine, probably selling a hundred copies or less. Do you really think I won't be able to play GTA5 in 30 years? :D

The Spectrum is probably one of the best preserved computer platforms and GTA a major franchise. It's more obscure or locally produced stuff that gets lost and still needs preservation when it comes to physical media. Early Mac games, the Commodore Pet, various Japanese platforms etc. these all have gaps.

For platforms where distribution was already primarly online before the recent console generation and Steam and Android, I don't think a lot of people could even tell to what extent preservation was done.

What about those Japanese phone games pre Android for example? To this day, I have not seen any download of those.

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 08:39:51 pm »
Edit
"Also, microtransactions."
I don't see those all that differently to the coin op/arcade era.

*Ahem.*

Arcade game: I pay to "rent" the game for a few quarters for a few minutes, but I didn't buy whole arcade game. And if I am skilled enough, I am rewarded by having my rental fee cover even more time.

Like a stripper in a private booth. I rent her for a few minutes to perform sexual acts on her. If she likes it, she lets me do it even longer. If she doesn't, I gotta pay up another "rental fee" to keep "playing", or the bouncer beats me to death in the alley behind the club. Okay, too extreme of an analogy, but you should get the gist.

Cartridge or Disc: I bought the game, and can play it whenever I want. No extra fees.

Star Wars Battlefront 2: I bought the game, but I need to pay money again (either a few dollars to even $100) to acquire items/characters that will allow me to actually play the game. And grinding for over 9000 hours to get past the pay wall isn't gameplay; it's a chore.

My other controllers have thumbsticks glued on top of the d-pads which really makes up for the lack of analog support in some games. I'll never use a regular d-pad again.

Remember "bleem!"?

And remember this?

Although the picture doesn't show it, that controller came with a detachable joystick that you would screw into the center of the D-Pad. I used to play PSX games on "bleem!" with this controller during the 90s.

I still have the controller in storage, but sadly the detachable joystick actually broke at the base of the D-Pad, leaving a chunk of plastic stuck in the middle where one would normally put in the detachable joystick.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 09:23:23 pm »
Plus, arcade games don't/didn't pretend to be "free" so they can sucker you out of your money with microtransactions to do the most basic of in-game tasks, like so many scummy, should-be-illegal smartphone "games" (let's be honest, it's all just tapping on things and giving the creators money) out there. The mobile reboot of Dungeon Keeper is an atrocity and I'm glad Mythic is dead.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 09:54:23 pm »
Star Wars Battlefront 2: I bought the game, but I need to pay money again (either a few dollars to even $100) to acquire items/characters that will allow me to actually play the game. And grinding for over 9000 hours to get past the pay wall isn't gameplay; it's a chore.

So... here's the thing with SWBF2.  Everyone knows it's a pile of shit.  Everyone should have known after SWBF1.  Or really after any Battlefront game.  Ordinarily this game would just flop and everyone would forget about it in a few months... kind of like No Man's Sky.

But here's the thing...

... I'm going to let you in on a secret...

... are you ready?

Star Wars fanboys are fucking stupid.  They're like the stupidest of the stupid consumers.  They'll buy anything with the Star Wars logo on it... it doesn't matter how shitty everyone knows it is.  It doesn't matter how overpriced it is -- how lacking in base content it is -- or how poorly reviewed it is.  They'll still shell out for it.

EA knows this.  And they exploited it. The game is overpriced because they know SW fanboys will buy it anyway.  They have in-game microtransactions because they know SW fanboys will pay for them.

... and they kind of are.  Considering how badly the game has been drowning in drama, bad press, and bad PR... it still sold a looooot of copies.

Sorry, but I can't blame EA for seizing the opportunity to capitalize on fanboy stupidity.  All they did was make a shitty overpriced game (which, btw, have existed forever).  Everybody knew exactly what it was going to be months before it came out.  All they had to do was show some restraint and not buy it.  But "ZOMG STAR WARS" so they bought it anyway and got all butt-hurt.

This game is not an example of how games have gotten worse.  It's an example of how game consumers have gotten stupider.  But when games are as cheap as they are now, I guess more carelessness is to be expected.

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 01:44:23 am »
Star Wars fanboys are fucking stupid.

I agree with most of this Disch, but that thing you said.... is really funny. I saw worse fandoms...*cough*sonic*cough*

But back on topic, from what I can see most people are against digital distribution (microtransactions), others oppose physical games for some reason (expensive), while I'm neutral towards the two.

Let's be honest, I enjoy games in any way or form (be physical or digital), but for digital games I only have one condition to enjoy them: pay for it once and play from start to finish without having to pay for anything else.

That's why I personally avoid EA stuff. Hope you agree with me guys.
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 04:21:54 pm »
Re arcades and them not being the same as microtransactions.

One is a time aiming to relieve the less well thought out (so kids) of their limited funds for a service typically available just as nicely elsewhere on devices they likely have access to... and the other is microtransactions.

"I can sit at my computer and download and play practically every single game from every single platform, from 1975 to now."
I don't doubt all here, assuming mind and body still function, will be able to pull a feat like it off in the future. Maybe not technical skills but ability and desire to bruise laws that might hinder things.

Though I did recently watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTSztNT4hys
Talk on the internet archive's efforts towards emulating games and how they worked out. Well worth a watch, though maybe find something that can do 1.5 speed.