News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: JRPGs: DoubleXP/DoubleGold  (Read 11863 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: JRPGs: DoubleXP/DoubleGold
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2017, 08:30:59 pm »
Personally I think the game wasn't particularly grindy in the first place.
CT is the exception to the rule that this project is for really.  The difficulty ramp is done in the way that you almost feel like a level system isn't necessary in CT (I'd wager that's why Cross is without levels); the only time I really ventured out to battle anything outside of TP grinding in the endgame for characters I don't use was a couple of times for money to buy gear.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2017, 04:49:14 am »
Final Fantasy IV (SNES) is done! :)

http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/finalfantasy4.zip

Just to explain: there are patches for XP and Gold, and each for the US and Japanese versions (yes, I know the US version is called FF2, but I think we've all decided what it should be called now, and it's confusing since I have a FF2 patch for the NES). I do love SNES assembly, it's almost the same as the NES. 8)

I'll be doing the other FF SNES games before moving on (so FF5 and FF6, plus I suppose Final Fantasy Mystic Quest although I figure that's quite a different kind of game, and is supposed to be easier from what I've heard). I should point out that I have very little experience in playing any of these SNES RPGs, so I don't know how necessary a patch is. But I'll do it anyway. :)

so the Phantasy Star I patch for SMS Power's retranslation is in the HalfXP pack right? the ones in DoubleXP won't work if i remember right.

it's a little confusing.

Apologies for the confusion. :) Yes, the HalfXP patch works with the retranslation, but I haven't done a DoubleXP patch for it, mainly because I can't get DoubleXP+DoubleGold working. Frustrating I know, because I personally want to play PS with the retranslation. :(

EDIT: The FF4 patch is NOT compatible with the Namingway Edition that I know people like a lot. Given its popularity, I think I should make a patch that works with it. Basically, the NE has a subroutine jump at the exact same point as mine, so I'll need to investigate and see what their subroutine does.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:07:18 am by Psyklax »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2017, 12:51:44 pm »
FFMQ should not require grinding to beat, though if you do stop to battle every enemy in the game you should reach the maximum level nearing the final boss.
Only fighting necessary enemies, as I recall, still gave you enough EXP to make it doable. And that Level difference made the final boss more challenging that I actually lost a few times. Yes, I do know it can be cheesed and killed in one hit but I wanted the challenge to do it the proper way.

(the maximum legit Level is 41, not sure what happens with JCE's hack (one of his many RPG hacks to make the challenge basically non-existent, I guess so RPGs can be played for the story) which I would guess pumps you to Level 99 right away. Sounds like an issue as the "Bar" HP meter is designed around that max (40 max HP per level = 1 extra bar per level. After 20 bars, it shrinks the single-HP bar to add a second row of 40 bars.
After reaching level 40, the NEXT indicator is 0 so you level-up after the next fight and then you don't anymore.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2017, 07:13:48 am »
So, I've been playtesting all of my patches, so I thought I'd give some feedback to this thread on the matter.

I've completed FF1, DW1 and DQ1 on the SNES, and in each case I thought the patch did a good job. The games didn't require any serious grinding, but flowed much better. So now I'm moving onto games that I didn't really know about before, specifically FF2 and FF3. I've started on FF4 as well, but that seems to be going fine with my patch.

As you're no doubt aware, FF2 is an oddity, and my patch levels your weapon skill up after each fight - at least, that's the idea. It seems that after a couple of levels it goes up 99 points, then 98 and so on, so I guess the game takes away a certain amount depending on your current level, so it takes longer to level up the higher your level. I suppose I could try to remedy that. Also, I realised that I didn't do anything to the Gold you get, so I think I'll have to do a DoubleGold addition to the game before I can play it any more.

Regarding FF3, it's closer to FF1, but I didn't realise there's a job system, and you get points for that after each battle. I guess it'd make sense for my patch to do double of that too, right? Anyone played FF3 who can comment?

So given I've completed several games without issue, I suppose I should finally submit them to the database for a proper release. I'm still not satisfied with some of them though, so I'll hold off on them for now - and I'm very much open to feedback from you guys. Unlike a translation, where it's pretty obvious to me that it's ready, these are hacks that affect gameplay, so they need some actual testing.

EDIT: Just looked at FF3. The game takes the potential Capacity points from a fight and does a couple of Logical Shifts Right, so by changing $6BD38 from $47 to $48, you skip one of those shifts, thereby giving you practically twice as many Capacity points from the battle. It still always gives you one point at least, regardless of the battle, so it's not EXACTLY twice, but close enough (the battle with the big turtle thing at the beginning should give you 31, but now gives you 61, see?). I'll make the change and do some more playing! :)

EDIT2: Yeah, I guess it's not the most elegant solution, but a boost is a boost. All I need to do true double points is a single byte to do an Arithmetic Shift Left, but that means jumping to a subroutine... hmm, I'll think about it.

EDIT3: Dammit... if there's one problem with the NES is that having 32KB of PRG ROM stored in RAM at any given moment means you often have just a handful of bytes at your disposal, so I think I'll have to stick with what I've done.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:47:13 pm by Psyklax »

wanzer

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2017, 01:34:23 am »
In my experience it's a lot easier to just locate the tables with the monster stats and use a script or something to dial the exp/gold values up a notch (like 2x). The tables are practically always in the first quarter of the rom data and are easily traceable by fighting a couple battles at the beginning.

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2017, 05:02:51 am »
I'll be doing the other FF SNES games before moving on (so FF5 and FF6, plus I suppose Final Fantasy Mystic Quest although I figure that's quite a different kind of game, and is supposed to be easier from what I've heard).
Yeah, Mystic Quest doesn't really have grinding, since there are no random encounters. Most monsters will be standing in your way on the map, so you have to decide if you want to fight them or not (whether they're guarding a treasure, or blocking your path forward). So once you kill them all, that's it, they never respawn.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2017, 09:13:35 am »
In that case I might play FFMQ before considering a hack, since it's probably unnecessary.

And in other news, I've done Final Fantasy V (SNES)! :)

http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/finalfantasy5.zip
(I was waiting for someone to post so that I didn't get a merged doublepost ;) )

I haven't tested it much, but it seems to work. There's only XP and Gold to worry about I think, unlike FF3 which I've modified. I've also been playing through Dragon Warrior/Quest 2 on NES and SNES, and there's a big difference between the two. The SNES version clearly gives you a lot more XP and Gold from battles, meaning my patch makes it even more of a stroll. At the moment I'm at the same place in both versions, but I have about 60,000 more Gold in the SNES version, as well as a higher level for all characters. So perhaps the patch isn't so necessary for DQ2 on the SNES, but it definitely is for the NES version.

Meanwhile, an interesting development with Final Fantasy 2. I'd written a routine to write 100 to your weapon skill counter so that you'd level up every battle, but it didn't really work because every level you'd earn less and less. However, there's a check to see if you have 100, so I just changed it to see if you have 1. Now you definitely get a weapon upgrade provided you use it. It's just one byte, so you can do it with the Game Genie code PANZXPGT. :)

Regarding FF2 though, I'm starting to think that the levelling system is so annoying that no amount of fiddling will make it work. Maybe I should do something more ambitious: convert it to the conventional levelling system? Every enemy gives you XP, each character has an XP progression table. It'd be a bit of work, of course, but could be interesting. It's a bit much for me to go for right now, but who knows...

EDIT: just a quick edit to say I've hacked Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 on Game Boy Color, because why not. :) It also explained to me why I was getting so much XP and Gold in DQ2 on SNES: I made a mistake in my routine. The game takes the current total for the fight and adds the amount for each enemy when you kill them. My routine was doubling that total instead of what each enemy gave you. It worked fine for DQ1 because you only face one enemy at a time, but in DQ2 you could get a group of four, for example, and my routine would double after the first enemy, then add that to enemy 2 and double it, then add that to enemy 3 and double it... so you'd get exponentially growing XP and Gold depending on how many enemies you faced. Obviously that's NOT what I want, because now I have far too much XP and Gold. I did the same thing on the GBC version but noticed it very quickly, so now I have to go back and fix it. I'll release it, and the GBC version, when someone else posts in the thread. :D Oh, and merry Christmas. ;)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 05:53:57 am by Psyklax »

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2017, 08:10:55 am »
when someone else posts in the thread. :D Oh, and merry Christmas. ;)

Merry Christmas.
Mauron wuz here.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2017, 01:36:05 pm »
Merry Christmas.

;)

http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/dragonwarrior12.zip

Incidentally, is there any point in me releasing a patch which just gives DoubleXP and not DoubleGold? I've been doing it out of courtesy but I figure I might as well just do one patch that does both and ignore the other. Why would you want to not grind for XP but still grind for Gold? Makes no sense. Think I'll forget about it in future.

Oh, and when Christmas is over I might get around to amending my DQ1&2 patch. :)

EDIT: And now I've amended it. :) Turns out I was one instruction off. The game loads the enemy's XP value from ROM, adds it to the running fight total, then stores it. My patch doubled the running fight total instead of the enemy's XP value, so I just moved it back one position in the program counter. Same with the Gold. I'll post it eventually.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 07:03:37 am by Psyklax »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2018, 04:44:17 pm »
Happy New Year! :)

Due to doublepost restrictions I've had to wait until the New Year to post an update in this thread, so here goes!

First off is some good news! While you (and I) were enjoying the festive season, I've been preparing several more games for you to enjoy! :D

http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/2xp-newyear.zip

Final Fantasy 6 (4 in the US) is DONE, completing the 8/16-bit saga (well, except for number 2, I still can't decide what to do with that). I haven't done much testing because the game actually runs rather slowly on SNES9x on my Android tablet, which is my preferred playtesting method (bsnes-plus on the PC is where I do the actual hacking, but I don't have time to sit and play at the PC these days). And there are patches for both US and Japanese versions because they're quite different on the inside (I had to do an extra long jump on the Japanese version to put my routine).

Phantasy Star 2 is DONE, although I know the database already has one that gives you four times the XP/Gold. I just really wanted to do it myself, and now I have. That marks the first Genesis/Mega Drive game I've hacked (not counting helping someone out with Revenge of Shinobi). And yes, it DOES work with the retranslation available in the database, but make sure you use FixCheckSum to, er, fix the checksum, or it probably won't play.

Also, Phantasy Star Gaiden on Game Gear is DONE, marking my first Game Gear game, too! Admittedly, after doing Phantasy Star on Master System, the two systems are almost identical except for having a Start button and fantastic colour. But still, I wanted to tick a box and now I have. :) But seriously, if I knew how to reduce the encounter rate in this game then I would, it's ridiculous! You can barely walk three steps! :O

Finally, I've updated my DQ1&2 patch and included it here. I'm currently playing through Dragon Warrior/Quest 2 on NES, Game Boy AND SNES simultaneously. The latter two are definitely easier than the original, but they've also fixed some bugs (like being able to win multiple Staffs of Thunder and sell them, and being able to make two Water Flying Cloths). The SNES is the best version for me, although the translation patch does have a few little errors here and there.

I also decided that, since I've now hacked what I call the Classic Seven consoles (NES, SNES, GB, MS, Genesis, GG, PCE/TG16 - not in this project), I should try the next logical step: Final Fantasy I & II - Dawn of Souls on the Game Boy Advance. However, I've hit a snag. At first glance, although I've not really looked at the 32-bit instruction set, what I've seen of the 16-bit THUMB set is reminiscent of the 68K, so not so hard to grasp. What surprises me is how jumps/calls/branches work. Even though I need just two bytes to add a register to itself, the ROM seems absolutely full for the most part, with only the end being free. Problem is, as far as I can work out, THUMB branches are relative and 22-bit, which isn't enough for the jump that I need. I've read that you can put the PC into the LR and then put your address into the PC manually, but that requires having a 32-bit address to hand, and as I said, I don't have 4 bytes lying around that I can write my address into. It's much simpler on everything else I've worked with, but then nothing I've worked with has required a 32-bit address. Any GBA hackers who can help me with this? I'm pretty sure I know the instruction I need to follow with my routine, but have no way of doing it until I figure out this jump.

Anyway, in other news I've decided to work on a translation! :) This project is certainly fun because the hacking I do is so minimal and I end up with a game I'm more inclined to play, but my first love was translating and so when I was looking at the PC Engine, knowing it was one of the systems needing a bit more love, I remembered a game called Appare Gateball. I remembered it because years ago I bought a PC Engine Duo and a bunch of games, and one of the few that I could play without needing to read too much was that. Given that it's essentially a sports game (for a game nobody's heard of) it doesn't have an overwhelming amount of text, but it DOES include a section explaining the rules (clearly it's not so popular in Japan either). So that's what I'm having a go at now, but I'll make another thread to talk about that one.

So, what's next? Unless I can figure out what to do with the GBA, it'll be some more SNES JRPGs: Secret of Mana/Evermore, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG maybe... I'm sure there's plenty, more so than the NES. If there's any more you guys can think of, let me know! I enjoy it, and it's good experience. :) And for anyone in the thread who doesn't know how to do this themselves, remember: just 9 months ago, I knew absolutely nothing about assembly, and now I've hacked and written routines for four different CPUs (waiting for the GBA to make it five). You can do it too! ;)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2018, 08:15:05 pm »
My guess for what you would do with Mana/Evermore is to raise Weapon/Magic (or "Alchemy") EXP? Maybe reduce Tech Points needed for Chrono Trigger. All those games have visible enemies, so I don't think you really can lower the encounter rate.
Super Mario RPG is another game (like FFMQ) I'd argue whether it even needs an EXP/Coins boost. SMRPG actually has a fairly low EXP limit (level 30 at 9999 EXP).

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2018, 04:02:06 am »
My guess for what you would do with Mana/Evermore is to raise Weapon/Magic (or "Alchemy") EXP? Maybe reduce Tech Points needed for Chrono Trigger. All those games have visible enemies, so I don't think you really can lower the encounter rate.

I've never played any of them, so I can't say whether XP/Gold boosts work for it. I've made exceptions before, such as FF3 and its Capacity points.

Super Mario RPG is another game (like FFMQ) I'd argue whether it even needs an EXP/Coins boost. SMRPG actually has a fairly low EXP limit (level 30 at 9999 EXP).

I played SMRPG a long time ago, so I don't remember if it's very grindy at all. I just played FFMQ for the first time, and yeah, it's FF for kids. :D No random battles, plus you can go back and the potions respawn. Don't think it needs a patch.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2018, 06:47:41 pm »
Hi!  I love this project and saw that I was mentioned re: Phantasy Star II.  Wanted to chime in that while I did 4x exp/meseta for it, there's probably certainly value in a 2x patch also.  Degrees of difficulty, and all that. :)

Regarding Dragon Warrior III: The US NES version of DW3 has a routine hacked into the end-of-battle code (or something like that) that applies an artificial multiplier to EXP gains already (I don't think money is affected).  So if you search for the EXP values you see in game, you won't find anything - the monster data still has the unmodified EXP values from the Japanese version.

Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly how that code works.  You might try poking zombero though, he's done a lot of internal meddling with DW3.

Regarding FF3: Yes, definitely double job EXP.  (Note that Job EXP and Capacity are not the same thing!)  There's also a hidden melee proficiency stat detailed in the game mechanics FAQs for the game which should be doubled.  (I know it's explicitly mentioned in the DS version's mechanics FAQs, but I'm not sure about NES; nonetheless I think the mechanic exists in both versions.)  In short, this game has a lot of hidden advancement crap just like FF2.

Regarding FF5 and FF6: Did you double ABP/Magic Points also?

Regarding FF2: A reworked FF2 to have traditional leveling would be an extremely ambitious project indeed, but I think it has a lot of potential to be very interesting.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:54:42 pm by Reiska »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2018, 07:52:57 pm »
Wondering about this too.  I never really lacked levels in FFV, only AP grinding and equipment money.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2018, 08:03:32 pm »
Wasn't AP in FF5/6 set by the battle formation than by enemies?
Resulting in a few weird cases where a party with a single enemy gives more AP than a party of multiple of the exact same enemy, which makes no sense.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2018, 08:04:12 pm »
Wasn't AP in FF5/6 set by the battle formation than by enemies?
Resulting in a few weird cases where a party with a single enemy gives me AP than a party of multiple of the exact same enemy, which makes no sense.

I believe so, yes.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2018, 03:29:07 am »
Hi!  I love this project and saw that I was mentioned re: Phantasy Star II.  Wanted to chime in that while I did 4x exp/meseta for it, there's probably certainly value in a 2x patch also.  Degrees of difficulty, and all that. :)

I like doing things myself, and besides, I wanted to hack a Genesis game. :)

Regarding Dragon Warrior III: The US NES version of DW3 has a routine hacked into the end-of-battle code (or something like that) that applies an artificial multiplier to EXP gains already (I don't think money is affected).  So if you search for the EXP values you see in game, you won't find anything - the monster data still has the unmodified EXP values from the Japanese version.

I don't know if this is what you meant, but I don't search for XP tables in the ROM, at least not anymore. I should explain my methods to anyone who's interested.

I find where the XP and Gold is stored in RAM; I find the instruction that adds to it; I trace backwards to find where the final battle totals originally come from, and insert a routine that doubles it. The exact way of doing it varies depending on the game and the CPU. Generally the more advanced CPUs are easier because they can handle bigger numbers (plus the systems usually have lots of RAM and empty ROM space that I can put my little routine into).

In the case of DW3, I've already forgotten what I did for the NES version, but last night I hacked the GBC version (took longer than I'd like) and I did notice you get less Gold than XP, which is odd. Regardless of what the game does itself, I just doubled the end result.

Regarding FF3: Yes, definitely double job EXP.  (Note that Job EXP and Capacity are not the same thing!)  There's also a hidden melee proficiency stat detailed in the game mechanics FAQs for the game which should be doubled.  (I know it's explicitly mentioned in the DS version's mechanics FAQs, but I'm not sure about NES; nonetheless I think the mechanic exists in both versions.)  In short, this game has a lot of hidden advancement crap just like FF2.

Didn't know about the hidden stuff you mentioned - see, this is why I have this thread and haven't published anything officially yet. :D I don't understand Job XP and Capacity being different: it looked to me like you used Capacity points to change to another job, but maybe I misunderstood (again, I haven't played FF3 before, like most of these games). Perhaps I need to look at the game mechanics FAQ.

Uh, dunno? :D I went to the first battle in each game and did my hacking there. If later on you get some other kind of bonus then I don't know about it.

Regarding FF2: A reworked FF2 to have traditional leveling would be an extremely ambitious project indeed, but I think it has a lot of potential to be very interesting.

It certainly would be ambitious, and interesting. I don't think it's worth my time, though. But I can't think of a good way of fixing the current system. My previous patch was just doing what a regular player could do with patience (select-cancel over 100 times, same with magic, get hurt intentionally etc), but I'm wondering if it'd be better to make the game like what it was INTENDED to be (ie remove the select-cancel glitch) but make it quicker (ie 4x weapon/magic use instead of 1x, give you HP increase if you lose even one HP rather than half). Then again you have other stats which improve in different ways, which is why I kind of abandoned the idea: sure you could get HP/MP and skill increases rapidly, but it's silly if your regular stats like vitality and strength don't go up also (since you'll be fighting fewer battles). Basically it's a bit of a mess to fix, and will need me to sit down and read a FAQ to figure out what needs fixing.

Many thanks for your interest in the project! :) And I'll have Dragon Warrior/Quest III up soon, but I want to do the SNES version first (already done GBC). Also, anybody got any ideas about my GBA question from earlier?

EDIT: I just read up on FF3. By "job EXP" I think you just mean EXP in general, in which case of course I know that capacity is different. :D I hacked the EXP and Gold before even noticing Capacity. As for melee proficiency, I'll have a look in the game to see if I can locate that, and maybe I'll double that, too.

EDIT2: Interesting! There IS a stat that I wasn't aware of, but it's not melee proficiency, it's what the English NES translation calls "Job Level". Every round you take part in gives you 4 points, and you go up a level when it reaches 100 (stored at $6110 for the first character). So essentially it takes 25 rounds to go up a level (whether this changes as you go up, I can't say). Changing this is trivial: just change $6BE20 from 64 to 32. Now you only need 13 rounds to go up. :) It doesn't seem to matter if you fight in the round either: guarding still gives you the bonus. Maybe this "melee proficiency" stat with a 33 limit is in the DS version? :huh:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:09:14 am by Psyklax »

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2018, 08:56:31 am »
Very possible - it wouldn't shock me to find out that S-E made the hidden mechanics more complicated in the remake.  (The way Job EXP is allocated got more complicated in it too, for instance.)

Thanks for looking into it!

Regarding FF5 and FF6: Yeah, those things only show up a ways into the game.  For FF5, you have to get past the Wind Shrine to unlock jobs for the first time, which is about 30 minutes of gameplay in.  For FF6 it's much deeper in, Magic Points don't start getting awarded until you've received your first Magicite, which for a casual player is likely to be 5-6 hours deep.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2018, 10:31:54 am »
Regarding FF5 and FF6: Yeah, those things only show up a ways into the game.  For FF5, you have to get past the Wind Shrine to unlock jobs for the first time, which is about 30 minutes of gameplay in.  For FF6 it's much deeper in, Magic Points don't start getting awarded until you've received your first Magicite, which for a casual player is likely to be 5-6 hours deep.

Herein lies the problem for me to find and fix this stuff, since there's no logical way of finding it without actually playing. I'll have to file those two under 'preliminary' for now. :)

Speaking of which, I'm right near the end of Dragon Warrior II, and I've only just realised that I messed up the XP routine! :( It SEEMED fine at the beginning of the game, but with hundreds or thousands of points being awarded, it's clear that there's a problem. The game tells you that you've received loads of points, but your XP total doesn't add up. So I dived in again and I've changed it to double the XP amount after killing each enemy, rather than at the end of the fight, which should fix it. I have a problem with doing the Gold that way, though, because the game only uses an 8-bit value for enemy Gold values, but of course you can carry a 16-bit amount of Gold, so doubling before the end of the fight doesn't really work. Anyway, I'll finish that off soon enough.

Incidentally, am I the only one who says XP instead of EXP? :D I suppose it could be mistaken for Windows XP...

Shadic

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2018, 12:02:45 pm »
This stuff is super awesome! I was actually working on a similar project of my own for Dragon Warrior 1...

Speaking of, could I use your EXP/Gold formula edit for my own project? I was running into issues where I wanted certain monsters to surpass the integer limit on battle rewards, and this is a mighty convenient way to do so.. I'd credit you, of course!