News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV Prettified  (Read 6886 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV Prettified
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 01:55:34 pm »
Didn't we categorize Spooniest's ROM hacks as "hacks"?
(from what I read, he was picking lines from different official translations and mixing them together)

So I think this would have to be similarly categorized.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 03:18:25 pm »
using the PlayStation script tweaked with said nomenclature and I'm making a few changes to the formatting because I want to shape the SNES version in a flavor similar to FF4A and FF4CC.

Gear. You should know that the PSX script is a weird bird though, unlike any of the other official translations. I'm guessing though, that you've read Tomato's breakdown of the translations and know that.

It taught me the word "dotard," and was the first FF script I ever played where a semicolon was used (twice I think). It isn't half bad, really.

vivify93

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 01:53:04 am »
Didn't we categorize Spooniest's ROM hacks as "hacks"?
(from what I read, he was picking lines from different official translations and mixing them together)

So I think this would have to be similarly categorized.
They would be under "translations." To my knowledge, the rule is on RHDN is, if a patch exists for non-English game to localize or convert it into English somehow, it's considered a "translation." If a patch modifies an existing fan translation, it's also considered a "translation." Similarly, if a game was originally in English, but a person(s) translated the Japanese script and tossed the new translation into the already-English game, again, this is considered a "translation."

Which is why Spooniest's J2eviscerate mod, Aeon Genesis' Tactics Ogre "PS1 script-to-SNES game" patch, and Ryusui's Breath of Fire II are all considered "translations" and thus are placed in that section on the site.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 04:53:47 pm »
When i read abot prettified i thought it was news about  this: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20582.200 lol

in any cae that font is a game changer, really amazing!

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 07:53:05 pm »
When i read abot prettified i thought it was news about  this: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20582.200 lol

Yeah! That's the thing I was talking about.

in any cae that font is a game changer, really amazing!
Heh, no pun intended?
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 10:21:49 pm »
They would be under "translations." To my knowledge, the rule is on RHDN is, if a patch exists for non-English game to localize or convert it into English somehow, it's considered a "translation." If a patch modifies an existing fan translation, it's also considered a "translation." Similarly, if a game was originally in English, but a person(s) translated the Japanese script and tossed the new translation into the already-English game, again, this is considered a "translation."

Which is why Spooniest's J2eviscerate mod, Aeon Genesis' Tactics Ogre "PS1 script-to-SNES game" patch, and Ryusui's Breath of Fire II are all considered "translations" and thus are placed in that section on the site.
I thought there was a distinction between text translated by the authors (a "translation") and copying a translation from another source. So it sounds like Gideon's TO patch would qualify as the latter (if the script itself remained largely Atlus' work) and Ryusui's the former (translating the text himself).

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2017, 03:17:49 pm »
New screenshots of something that isn't menus again:

Started working on this tricky piece of crap Mode 7 screen. I'm tempted to improve the code a bit in order to support actual 16 colors for that font, instead of just 2 (which uses some ugly upscale from the 2bpp font). I would have pushed the staff roll in a similar fashion, but there isn't exactly too much time to transfer tiles while keeping the scrolling active I suspect, plus it's kinda irrelevant to the project. :P

Edited how font upscale works and redesigned the palette to allow for drop borders and shading:

I had to change the Mode 7 code to accept two different sets of tiles (one for the prophecy, the other for the staff roll), but fortunately that was the easiest part. And there goes another 16 KB of ROM used. :beer:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:00:17 pm by Gemini »
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 07:22:40 am »
I really like how that looks. 16K well spent (depending on what else you were planning to do I guess).
Would you ever consider a more star wars-esque crawl? I don't mean exactly the same, but having the top portion angle away from the reader instead of towards. I was never fond of that.

Latest Demo

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 01:54:51 pm »
I really like how that looks. 16K well spent (depending on what else you were planning to do I guess).
There's a ton more room to fit all my prerendered crap. :P I just went the lazy way and encoded both tile sets as 4bpp linear (easy to convert to mode7 graphics), without any real optimization.

Would you ever consider a more star wars-esque crawl? I don't mean exactly the same, but having the top portion angle away from the reader instead of towards. I was never fond of that.
I don't like much the effect either and I'm kinda tempted to remove it altogether like on the GBA port. I'm not sure yet, maybe I'll make it optional in the sources.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 03:34:48 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, the legend crawl is a different visual sequence from the "moon flies away" sequence, but you need to run the former in order for the latter to have the right data set in VRAM. Otherwise the earth looks like a bunch of blocky pixels instead of like a blue planet. I did figure out how to shorten the "crawl" sequence after removing the text, though. There's a countdown byte that can be adjusted. I probably have the exact offset written down somewhere if you want (though you seem more ASM savvy than I am so you might not need it).

Latest Demo

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 09:04:49 pm »
Doing some work with crude formatting on dialog, finally:

I still haven't finished working on the internal string formatter, but at least proportional rendering seems to be working as intended. Took me a while to sneak all those tiles into the NMI routines and rearrange the window graphics. :laugh:

PS: incidentally I found out a bug with Snes9x which treats SRAM as invalid memory for DMA during NMI. I quickly fixed by moving the rendering canvas to WRAM instead, so at least compatibility should be assured; still a fix to Snes9x would be nice since SRAM to DMA works fine outside of NMI.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:39:11 pm by Gemini »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 11:19:20 pm »
I'd suggest against using the PSX script as a base for this project, it's full of little inaccuracies and dumb little stuff like adding in fourth wall gags without reason or motive. Either the GBA/PSP script or the DS script would be the way to go, I think.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 06:39:19 am »
The problem with using either the PSP or GBA script is that it doesn't follow the original string order, which would take me an eternity to fix manually. I'll keep on using the PlayStation script with tweaks for simplicity's sake, so that someone else can work from that base to improve the overall quality if they wish to do so. It took me already quite some work to fix a lot of weird paging issues amd there are a ton more from my quick playthrough. :-X

By the way, should I prepare delta patches as I make more of the game proportional-ready? A good amount of it is already playable in this state and a couple more eyes spotting issues in the script would be appreciated.

Mysidian legend done with better vertical centering:

The formula that calculates fading palettes was really something weird, especially because it was applying it to just one color, while I needed the gray shading pixels to fade in as well. Anyways, at least now this screen won't crash the game for good. Next crash point to fix: scrolling prologue.

Location names prettified and slightly expanded:

I may enlarge the window a bit if some location name demands so.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:03:25 pm by Gemini »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 08:25:21 pm »
Shouldn't be that hard to make the window text-length-dependent.
Just a thought - take it or leave it.

Edit: now that I think about it, with each letter no longer representing one tile's width, maybe that would be more of a pain to formulate than I originally thought.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:31:41 pm by chillyfeez »

Latest Demo

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 12:03:21 pm »
Aaaand done with the last game crashing screen, aka the scrolling Prologue:

It recycles a good portion of dialog and Mysidian legend code, so it didn't take very long to do. Unfortunately I couldn't use the larger font here because there isn't enough VRAM to fit the greater amount of tiles it'd need (and it mimics the GBA prologue, which is for the better).

Also, while I was at it, I included a new control code to horizontally center strings in dialog, similarly to what Prologue and Mysidian legend do:

With these two out of the way the game is currently fully playable and can be tested already. The current patch can be found here: https://github.com/Gemini-Loboto3/prettify/raw/master/ff4pretty.xdelta

For those too lazy to downloa and patch the rom, here goes a video with the first 35 minutes of game: https://youtu.be/wvrqXzwnNDw

Shouldn't be that hard to make the window text-length-dependent.
Just a thought - take it or leave it.
The way I currently set it up makes that a bit complicated, but it also makes location windows behave similarly to their counteparts on GBA (which is what I was aiming for).

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 03:00:36 pm »
Incredible Gemini. This looks like a terrific base for any future modding, I've been away for a very long time so I doubt I'll be able to utilize it, but your work does not go unappreciated. A shame you have to use the PSX translation, that is only *slightly* better than the J2E translation. You mentioned that editing the scripts and such is as easy as  .xml file?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 08:03:56 am »
There is one XML files, which is used to generate static tiles for menus, the rest is stored as simple TXT.

Meanwhile I fixed the issue with BG2 jumping around during NMI transfers, it was some error caused by xkas assembling stuff incorrectly. The patch should be updated, same like if you wanna try it.

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2017, 02:00:58 pm »
Looks really sharp. Is it possible to do something similar for VI?

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

dn

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 03:25:08 pm »
I'm working on it, but it's slow going.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 04:52:19 pm »
I do remember the RPGOne translation was hindered by that limitation. Chris tried to get it in but he couldn't get it, leaving most significantly the enemy names expanded in text but not able to use the extra length because of screen space.
(though the text itself was of course another thing  ;D )