News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 82908 times)

KIL913

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #300 on: August 15, 2019, 06:51:50 am »
Hello, i just noticed two lines with the script that bothered me. The line where a soldier said magus defeated 3 generals, i believed this to be that magus already sent out his 3 generals. And also during the post-party on "Follow! Footsteps!" when you wake up Ayla she mentioned eating too much soup instead of drinking a lot of Rock Crash. This is all on the Sky+Dark name liberties patch so I'm not sure if it's corrected on the other patches.

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 16, 2019, 05:22:55 am »
Some results with MSU-1. I managed to get it to work with qwertymodo's code by moving the new code to a new empty space (the one used by qwertymodo is already used by this patch).

However, there are still 3 conflicting hooks at addresses 0xFA96B1, 0xFA4925 and 0xFA4962.
While the MSU-1 music is clearly working, I believe these conflicts are causing some bugs, like the intro music reseting constantly and no music after some battles (AD 1000 forest as example). Applying this code to the unmodified rom shows none of these bugs.
Another theory I have is that this patch is also overriding the RAM at these locations:
Code: [Select]
variable currentSong($7E1FE0)
variable fadeCount($7E1EE1)
variable fadeVolume($7E1EE2)
variable fadeStep($7E1EE4)
variable counter($7E1EE6)
variable frameCounter($7E1EE8)
variable inCombatHack($7E1EE9)

EDIT: Scratch that. I've spent some hours debugging and reverse-engineering the missing addresses from this patch and I've successfully fixed the intro song constantly reseting. Now I just need to find the reason for it not playing any music after certain combats.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 11:24:28 am by Cthulhu88 »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 16, 2019, 07:06:43 pm »
Sorry about going poof for a bit, IRL sat in for about three weeks.

Hello, i just noticed two lines with the script that bothered me. The line where a soldier said magus defeated 3 generals, i believed this to be that magus already sent out his 3 generals. And also during the post-party on "Follow! Footsteps!" when you wake up Ayla she mentioned eating too much soup instead of drinking a lot of Rock Crash. This is all on the Sky+Dark name liberties patch so I'm not sure if it's corrected on the other patches.
Ah, the three generals defeated line!  Looking at it, it should say that basically he sent Ozzie, Slash, and Flea.  I'll get that taken care of.

The soup mention might just be a single-version oopsie.  I'll get that fixed in a jiffy.

snip
I don't use disassembles or anything like that in this one, so I really don't have much of a source to show at all (at least not yet).  Outside of the bugfix posts here you open it up in a hex editor, that's all there is.  The issue with most MSU-1 patches I believe is that they use data that TF has already worked in.  That's about as much as I know thus far.

So, MSU-1.  While I've been waiting for the FMV version to get out of the closed beta, there appears to currently be a bug that only happens when the FMVs are not present and you're already pretty far into your own (which means much like LttP DX I may need a setup without FMVs).  Keep me appraised, I'll help where and if I can.  If all is working fine both with and without the music files, I'll see about rolling it in as an optional patch and see how things go from there.  Or something.

August 16, 2019, 07:49:19 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Version 7a is in the Mega, and will be submitted here in a second.  On top of those two bugfixes (the soup thing was in all Skydark patches btw), I've added another improvement by Mauron that enables New Game+ to also pick up your saved option preferences.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:52:48 pm by Chronosplit »

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 16, 2019, 07:35:59 pm »
I don't use disassembles or anything like that in this one, so I really don't have much of a source to show at all (at least not yet).  Outside of the bugfix posts here you open it up in a hex editor, that's all there is.  The issue with most MSU-1 patches I believe is that they use data that TF has already worked in.  That's about as much as I know thus far.

So, MSU-1.  While I've been waiting for the FMV version to get out of the closed beta, there appears to currently be a bug that only happens when the FMVs are not present and you're already pretty far in (which means much like LttP DX I may need a setup without FMVs).  Keep me appraised, I'll help where I can, and if all is working fine both with and without the music files I'll roll it in as an optional patch and see how things go from there.

Hey, I've it working and I even set up some macros specific for cross-assembling to your hack.

Example:
// Epoch 1999 AD event modification
// This is a destructive modification
// Remove syncronisation with music in the event
//
// NOTE: Address moved for Bugfix and Uncensor Patch.
if {defined BUGFIX_UNCENSOR} {
seekex($41B5EE)
} else {
seek($FA96B1)
}
// 10 10 is Event Command Jump Forward ten bytes
// This is compressed data so the modification is
// replicated 3 times
db $10, $10, 0, 0, 0

// Hijack for music in attract mode
seek($DB6E03)
db THEME_ATTRACT
seek($FA24A4)
db THEME_ATTRACT
seek($FA28FA)
db THEME_ATTRACT
seek($FA659C)
db THEME_ATTRACT
// Bugfix and Uncensor Patch
seek($FA3790)
db THEME_ATTRACT
seek($F7BC67)
db THEME_ATTRACT
seek($FA3753)
    db THEME_ATTRACT
} else {
seek($FA4925)
db THEME_ATTRACT
seek($FA4962)
db THEME_ATTRACT
}

I've also fixed the issue with the combat music "Battle 1" not properly reseting the track after combat, but I just found out that the version I've implemented is really outdated (I'd used the one from his Github, circa 2016).

I can send you the modified ASM code and a patch if you want, but I'm a little bit discouraged to continue now that I've learned how outdated this code is, and it seems he didn't make his newer work public.

It's working without FMVs. I've completely removed the code because this 2016 version only contains the intro FMV.
Also, it falls back as usual to the original SNES track if MSU-1 is not supported or the track is missing.

As for data space, there is still a significant amount of unused rom addresses. I'd tested it against your Bugfixes+SkyDark+Liberties Extended and assembled the code at 0xC37A34 (lots of uninitialized null bytes).
I've also written a Python script to check the ROM banks for a specific amount of unused data. It didn't take me long to find some available space, and I am not even using the extra 2 MBs from ExHiROM.

KIL913

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 16, 2019, 11:36:41 pm »
Ah, the three generals defeated line!  Looking at it, it should say that basically he sent Ozzie, Slash, and Flea.  I'll get that taken care of.

The soup mention might just be a single-version oopsie.  I'll get that fixed in a jiffy.

Thank you for replying! May I also ask if the bugfix alone patch has all the dialog fixes?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 17, 2019, 12:04:18 pm »
Thank you for replying! May I also ask if the bugfix alone patch has all the dialog fixes?
No problem!  And yep, that's true.  All of the changes in the other patches are in equipment names and element names.  It's mostly explained in the docs, but the Skydark stuff does have mentions of Lightning changed to Sky and Shadow to Dark.  In the name of consistency only of course.

August 17, 2019, 12:28:14 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey, I've it working and I even set up some macros specific for cross-assembling to your hack.

Example:
// Epoch 1999 AD event modification
// This is a destructive modification
// Remove syncronisation with music in the event
//
// NOTE: Address moved for Bugfix and Uncensor Patch.
seekex($41B5EE)
} else {
seek($FA96B1)
}
// 10 10 is Event Command Jump Forward ten bytes
// This is compressed data so the modification is
// replicated 3 times
db $10, $10, 0, 0, 0

// Hijack for music in attract mode
seek($DB6E03)
db THEME_ATTRACT
seek($FA24A4)
db THEME_ATTRACT
seek($FA28FA)
db THEME_ATTRACT
seek($FA659C)
db THEME_ATTRACT
// Bugfix and Uncensor Patch
seek($FA3790)
db THEME_ATTRACT
seek($F7BC67)
db THEME_ATTRACT
seek($FA3753)
    db THEME_ATTRACT
} else {
seek($FA4925)
db THEME_ATTRACT
seek($FA4962)
db THEME_ATTRACT
}

I've also fixed the issue with the combat music "Battle 1" not properly reseting the track after combat, but I just found out that the version I've implemented is really outdated (I'd used the one from his Github, circa 2016).

I can send you the modified ASM code and a patch if you want, but I'm a little bit discouraged to continue now that I've learned how outdated this code is, and it seems he didn't make his newer work public.

It's working without FMVs. I've completely removed the code because this 2016 version only contains the intro FMV.
Also, it falls back as usual to the original SNES track if MSU-1 is not supported or the track is missing.

As for data space, there is still a significant amount of unused rom addresses. I'd tested it against your Bugfixes+SkyDark+Liberties Extended and assembled the code at 0xC37A34 (lots of uninitialized null bytes).
I've also written a Python script to check the ROM banks for a specific amount of unused data. It didn't take me long to find some available space, and I am not even using the extra 2 MBs from ExHiROM.
I understand in this case.  Perhaps it's best to give some time until qwertymoto's is out of the beta process, and then tackle the issue again.  You can share the patch to everyone if you're okay with that though.

On the bright side, that should work against all versions in the assembled code spot... but I can't really guarantee anything outside of that.  It's true that there's still plenty of space as I did the rom expansion (which is partially why the Canoe version exists as a conversion), I ended up doing that just in case and for MSU-1 later down the line.  The main issue with sharing code between versions is usually that those small changes between them result in offsets being one or two off when it comes to map events or tables.  That macro might just get around that however!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:29:07 pm by Chronosplit »

KIL913

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 18, 2019, 09:21:36 am »
Hello once again Sir Chronosplit been playing your Patch and loving it so far!!! But I've once again noticed an inconsistency in which Melchoir still call the fiends "mystics" once the black omen revealed itself. So far I find your patch MY definitive version of CT and will love to help in anyway I can. :)

EDIT: Also on Magus's Sidequest throughout the whole ordeal the fiends are still called as mystics.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:36:02 am by KIL913 »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 19, 2019, 04:16:55 pm »
Hello once again Sir Chronosplit been playing your Patch and loving it so far!!! But I've once again noticed an inconsistency in which Melchoir still call the fiends "mystics" once the black omen revealed itself. So far I find your patch MY definitive version of CT and will love to help in anyway I can. :)

EDIT: Also on Magus's Sidequest throughout the whole ordeal the fiends are still called as mystics.
Seems I still missed a couple of mystics.  That name is everywhere, I'm not really too surprised though I did think I got all of them. :P

Keep me updated.  I'll try and tackle them all at once if you find any more of them!  And I'll probably bundle it with some name switches in the Extended patches.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:23:42 pm by Chronosplit »

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 19, 2019, 06:39:26 pm »
Just out of curiosity I kept working on the MSU1 patch.

I've pretty much rewritten most of the code and made it more efficient, smaller and more organized/readable.
I am still hunting for new addresses that appear to be called from this ExHiROM but not from the original HiROM.

I'll probably release the patch once I am confident it will work well enough, and you can decide whether you want to include it or not. Even if the code is outdated, it's still better than no support at all and certainly better than the original code by DarkShock.

KIL913

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2019, 12:34:38 am »
Seems I still missed a couple of mystics.  That name is everywhere, I'm not really too surprised though I did think I got all of them. :P

Keep me updated.  I'll try and tackle them all at once if you find any more of them!  And I'll probably bundle it with some name switches in the Extended patches.

SURE! Btw what text editor do you use? Maybe I could work with you on it so we can save time?

I think keeping Ozzie calling themselves "Mystics" as I re-read your doc and it did say when "Humans mention the mystics" and it would make sense since why would Ozzie refer to this fellow race as "fiends"? And Melchoir did reside in Medina so that's a pass too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:49:07 am by KIL913 »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 20, 2019, 12:27:15 pm »
SURE! Btw what text editor do you use? Maybe I could work with you on it so we can save time?

I think keeping Ozzie calling themselves "Mystics" as I re-read your doc and it did say when "Humans mention the mystics" and it would make sense since why would Ozzie refer to this fellow race as "fiends"? And Melchoir did reside in Medina so that's a pass too.
Temporal Flux.  And nah, honestly these small ones are quick.  It's easier if I handle all of that myself, even if it's six times.  It was only when I was basically going through all of Middle Ages that things slogged.

Ozzie and the party still refer to them as Fiends.  All that basically means that it's just Magus's name where things are different (come to think of it, I probably should word that part differently).  Fiends is another word for demons anyway, so anything of Mystics needs to be corrected.

August 20, 2019, 12:33:45 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Just out of curiosity I kept working on the MSU1 patch.

I've pretty much rewritten most of the code and made it more efficient, smaller and more organized/readable.
I am still hunting for new addresses that appear to be called from this ExHiROM but not from the original HiROM.

I'll probably release the patch once I am confident it will work well enough, and you can decide whether you want to include it or not. Even if the code is outdated, it's still better than no support at all and certainly better than the original code by DarkShock.
Alright then!  I can't wait to see the finished product either way!  I know many have been waiting for MSU-1 itself a lot.

EDIT: Oh right, you probably want an update on Extended.  Well, it won't be named Extended anymore.  Remember Aerdian's names way back?  Instead, I'll be cobbling together a version based on Name Liberties that uses those everywhere possible in equipment (the rest will stay as-is).  This I feel is the best use for these versions, as Extended started as a way to get a couple of Aerdian's equipment names in anyway.  This is a suitable setup for those who want less "Woolsey two word style" in this area, yet I don't need to cram in the DS names.

No, not Grand Lion.  I'd rather Grandleon in this case due to synergy with characters, and I'm waiting until that Middle Ages version to make a Grandleon patch besides.

I really want to see Icewyrm reverted to Seiryu on the DS version, that was pretty dumb after correcting Onimaru and Suzaku
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:42:53 pm by Chronosplit »

KIL913

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 21, 2019, 09:40:45 pm »
Temporal Flux.  And nah, honestly these small ones are quick.  It's easier if I handle all of that myself, even if it's six times.  It was only when I was basically going through all of Middle Ages that things slogged.

Ozzie and the party still refer to them as Fiends.  All that basically means that it's just Magus's name where things are different (come to think of it, I probably should word that part differently).  Fiends is another word for demons anyway, so anything of Mystics needs to be corrected.

Owwww well that's good then. Really appreciate your work on this patch my dude! Hopefully you'll be able to "complete" it soon!

EDIT: I also think that when Gaspar talks about the dreamstone should be updated too? Since well Dreamstone wasn't really use as currency during the prehistoric era.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:17:42 pm by KIL913 »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 21, 2019, 10:38:50 pm »
Owwww well that's good then. Really appreciate your work on this patch my dude! Hopefully you'll be able to "complete" it soon!

EDIT: I also think that when Gaspar talks about the dreamstone should be updated too? Since well Dreamstone wasn't really use as currency during the prehistoric era.
Things are getting very close. :thumbsup:

As for the dreamstone being money, I dunno.  It's pretty harmless IMO.  The point is that it's extremely valuable, and I would say that means some in Kajar and the like would at least barter with it like most precious metals.  It's one of those Woolseyisms that isn't quite accurate but I can't really say that it's completely wrong either, get what I mean?

KIL913

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 21, 2019, 11:46:29 pm »
Things are getting very close. :thumbsup:

As for the dreamstone being money, I dunno.  It's pretty harmless IMO.  The point is that it's extremely valuable, and I would say that means some in Kajar and the like would at least barter with it like most precious metals.  It's one of those Woolseyisms that isn't quite accurate but I can't really say that it's completely wrong either, get what I mean?

Got it. Looking forward to your updated patch, i'm gonna play it with a new game +. Thanks for all your hard work my dude!

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 22, 2019, 07:24:06 am »
If you go with the DS translation he says "It's a rare red stone that was once more valuable than gold" seems like a good alternative.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 22, 2019, 12:08:59 pm »
If you go with the DS translation he says "It's a rare red stone that was once more valuable than gold" seems like a good alternative.
Huh, I actually thought the DS version kept the money part in.  That does read like it's the best alternative, the retranslation actually says the same exact thing.  I might just use that.

EDIT: Alright, here's the story so far for the normal four versions:
-Black Omen line fixed
-Melchior now refers to the Dreamstone as more valuable than gold
-Fixed the two maps in Ozzie's Fort still mentioning Mystics.
-AkashaEdge>HeavenEdge (I decided to go back to this one as the name here was rather odd, and only served to reword Woolsey's.  A lot of look into what that actually was happened and... this is it.  Honestly this appears to be one of those item names where you can look at it in more than one way with the DS version wrapping all three together into one, so the Aerdan patches will still have Imperial.  Choices!)
-Dash Ring>Speed Ring (Consistency)
-Charm Top>Allure Bra (How'd that sneak through?)
-FrenzyBand>Wrath Band (Yeah, I realize this should really be Rage Band's name.  But I wanted to avoid confusion, so the DS term works better than FrenzBand.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 04:06:14 pm by Chronosplit »

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 22, 2019, 04:45:49 pm »
Just doing some final tweaks and I'll release my MSU-1 patch.

Not sure how it will work long term, but so far it's looking promising (testing at the beginning of the game and early AD 600).

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 22, 2019, 06:46:23 pm »
Just doing some final tweaks and I'll release my MSU-1 patch.

Not sure how it will work long term, but so far it's looking promising (testing at the beginning of the game and early AD 600).
Alright!  If it makes it in it'll be a version or two later (next one I hope, so long as there isn't anything found) depending on how things go.  7b is in the mega and is being submitted right now, I don't think it'll impede anything because the changes have been slight.  The changes are... all that up there, and here is the list for the new Aeridan Item Names patches.  If you have any suggestions for something to be added in a later update, go ahead:
Spoiler:
Red Katana>Crimson
Ivory Edge>Mammoth
Aeon Blade>Ancient
HeavenEdge>Imperial

Shaman Bow>Saint Bow
Dream Bow>Dreamstone
Siren Kiss>Siren

Air Gun>Airgun
Dart Gun>Peashooter
Auto Gun>Handgun
Dream Gun>Dreamstone

ShineBlade>Shineblade

Ice Sickle>KillerHook
StarScythe>Hadean (Still not enough space for Hades Sickle.)
DoomScythe>Despair

MaidenSuit>Lady Suit
Titan Vest>Titanium
Lumin Robe>Light Robe
Shine Mail>Shineplate
PlatinVest>Platinum
Aeon Suit>Eternal
RavenArmor>Obsidian
Gloom Cape>Despair
Moon Armor>Moonlight

Rock Helm>Stone Helm
Shine Helm>Shinehelm
PlatinHelm>Platinum
Doom Helm>Death Helm
Aeon Helm>Eternal
Gloom Helm>Despair

Defender>Protector
SilverErng>Silver Ear (I tried to make the earrings more legible, this is all I have.)
Gold Erng>Gold Ear

-Updated Trading Hut (The names are in full in all dialogue except for when you obtain the item, to make sure you know what’s actually in your item menu.)
-Updated Kajar Shopkeep with Platinum Vest.
-Updated Northern Ruins for Siren.

I got this one out ASAP mostly for the above, I'd like to see everyone's opinions on where to take it.  Updates should be back to a slower pace after this.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 07:55:25 pm by Chronosplit »

KIL913

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 22, 2019, 10:31:06 pm »
EDIT: Alright, here's the story so far for the normal four versions:

When you say the normal four versions? What are those?

Also Melchior mentions the mystics as well when the Black Omen appears.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:46:45 pm by KIL913 »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 23, 2019, 09:20:37 am »
When you say the normal four versions? What are those?

Also Melchior mentions the mystics as well when the Black Omen appears.
The ones I didn't just add, of course. :P

That's the one I thought you told me about?  I see no other line other than the talk about the Black Omen?