News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 71794 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #280 on: June 27, 2019, 02:35:28 pm »
Small round of beta bugfixes:

Code: [Select]
-The kid at the Millennial Fair's remark now matches the Woolseyism better.
-Fixed one leftover "Death to the Mystics' Enemies!" string at the Heckran room.

Still working on the SkyDarks, these were found in the process since I'm basically doing a third pass.

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 27, 2019, 09:34:14 pm »
Are the betas compatible with the SNES Classic's "Canoe" emulator?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 27, 2019, 11:15:30 pm »
Are the betas compatible with the SNES Classic's "Canoe" emulator?
Sorry, but you're still stuck with the Canoe version in the main download.  I'll be turning some attention to that after this is all done.  Canoe has some... special sensibilities that I need to navigate.

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 29, 2019, 06:11:12 pm »
That fix I offered in the Chrono Trigger Plus topic is available to you as well.
Mauron wuz here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 30, 2019, 11:44:12 am »
That fix I offered in the Chrono Trigger Plus topic is available to you as well.
Got it, thanks!  I'll take a look, and update the betas once it's inserted and tested!

EDIT: For those not reading up, this is what we're talking about: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23466.msg377997#msg377997
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 02:55:52 pm by Chronosplit »

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 30, 2019, 08:11:27 pm »
I made a slight change to the code, for cases of "AB{FF space}CD".
Mauron wuz here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 30, 2019, 09:20:03 pm »
I made a slight change to the code, for cases of "AB{FF space}CD".
Got it, and... done!  All working!  The betas have been updated with the fix, so please try them out!  To put this short, what this hack does is make you able to put in names less than the max number of letters without spaces being left around.  That means you can really have Ayla call you Cro now!

Here I also have a spare IPS with just the fix, it can be applied to any version so long as 0x41F400 is clear (all of mine check out, a clean one should also work great): https://mega.nz/#!HRUQGQrZ!uOJN5Y3K8e_GAILH3XZWXy2oXcejGl9wFRjss_9DhKM EDIT: You don't need this anymore, it's a one-byte fix now.

Thanks a whole bunch, this was the missing hole to CronoNick IMO.

EDIT: One last quick edit to the betas; I've done a small update to the Masa/Mune speech on the Hero's Grave.  The "not for atonement of past sins" line is no longer one line, to make it more clear.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 12:32:47 pm by Chronosplit »

quickdraw86

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 02, 2019, 02:41:33 am »
Will the latest version of the patch work on the no-intro CT ROM? I can't find a CT that matches the md5 on the download page for the patch.

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 03, 2019, 06:26:47 pm »
I found a much better solution for the name issue. There was code in the game already, but it only addressed one space type. I removed the possibility to insert multiple space types. Change 0x02E301 to EF.
Mauron wuz here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 04, 2019, 12:25:20 pm »
I found a much better solution for the name issue. There was code in the game already, but it only addressed one space type. I removed the possibility to insert multiple space types. Change 0x02E301 to EF.
Alright, I'll get that going in just a little bit.  I'm surprised, but it's easy to undo (and also much welcomed).  I needed to stretch my minor hex editing muscles a bit anyway.

EDIT: Betas updated!
EDIT 2: If you noticed a line in Bugfix Alone that wasn't edited but was edited in the other, I probably now have that fixed.  Long strings can hide things.

Will the latest version of the patch work on the no-intro CT ROM? I can't find a CT that matches the md5 on the download page for the patch.
I'm pretty sure that the source is no-intro, either that or it's at least an older no-intro.  BSNES verifies it, which usually means it is.  Did anyone else have any issues finding the correct file?  I can round up a newer dump to base this off of if so.  I don't really keep on top of the latest info personally.

Either way, if the BPS patches without complaining you're good to go.  That I can pretty well guarantee.

July 06, 2019, 11:18:51 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I've got some more about the dump info.  I got this from Hasher-js, I'll update the info next update to the database:
Database match: Chrono Trigger (USA)
Database: No-Intro: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180813-062835)
File/ROM SHA-1: DE5822F4F2F7A55ACB8926D4C0EAA63D5D989312
File/ROM CRC32: 2D206BF7
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:19:37 am by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 12, 2019, 11:41:20 pm »
SkyDark patches are finally done, I minimized work this time by just getting SkyDark done and redoing the name liberties part, so I essentially got both at once.  You may be wondering where the Extended ones are.  Don't worry, they're on their way.  This is just about the last thing to do outside of removing that fix and cleanup.

Oh, and there's been some minor cleanup to the other patches.  All links are in the beta post.

EDIT: Links fixed.  Apparently Mega isn't into keeping the same link for updated files anymore.

July 15, 2019, 05:21:29 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I decided to let the Extended patches simmer for a while longer while I look over Aeridan and LethargicOwl's name ideas a little more.  So those are the same changes (don't worry, they're version 7).

That said, I've let everyone wait long enough.  Bad fix has been reverted, checksums washed, these have gone through three checks through the dialog scripts as I edited the patches with no one pointing out anything wrong, so I've put version 7 in the mega and I'll upload it to RHDN in a moment.

Bugfixes:
-Added a fix by Mauron that enables names smaller than the maximum amount of characters to be used without invisible spaces appearing after the name is used.  In short you can now properly use shorter names, both in the name entry screen and CronoNick!
-Removed Mauron’s HP-to-1 fix due to a bug, a better version should be pending.

Equipment Names:
BronzeFist>Karma Fist is for all patches now (ultimately this reads far better).

Battle Messages:
-Magus’s name is now used instead of just Magus (kinda weird, as names should be supported fine.  This mostly has something to do with NG+ though.)
-Scouter/Red Scout/Blue Scout: “fights” is now “counters,” quotes are removed. (Either way, elements aren’t quoted in any other battle message.)

Chapter Names:
Law of Earth!>Law of the Earth

Dialogue:
-Magus is now The Fiendlord when talked about by humans in the present and middle ages, and Mystics are now Fiends.  The exception to the human rule is the party, who is still required to call Magus by name due to plot events (but will still call the Mystics as Fiends when it pops up).  The Heckran calls him by a hybrid of both for consistency's sake.
 -This also fixes the rest of the wizard mentions, and Choras’s legend once and for all.
-The weird break in P.E. is gone.
-"Ceases to exists" is now fixed.
-Middle Ages’s Maid is now the cook’s wife.
-Lofty Robo is now properly Holy Robo
-The correct spelling for Polliwog is used.
-awhile is now a while.
-Magus’s Lavos Core dialog now uses the correct form of its.
-Fixed the ending mentioning Kin instead of Kino.
-Fixed the last of The Oath ending’s frog issues along with the above (at least I think so.  This event’s scripting is kinda weird as it keeps repeating multiple times.  I took them all on just in case).
-Made the third line of Masa and Mune's speech string at Hero's Grave more descriptive, and not just one line.

Other:
-The Readme has been divided up to hopefully reduce clutter and fix people asking questions that are answered in the readme.  The patching instructions and etc. are in a plain txt file to make uploading easier on my part, the 9 page change list (yep, always been that big) and thanks are in the docs folder.
-Updated ROM info to match Hasher.js.
-Changed database entry to Improvement.

Oh, and sorry Canoe users.  You get none of this.  I'll see what I can do about that ASAP.

EDIT: Submission accepted!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 11:13:36 pm by Chronosplit »

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 16, 2019, 02:13:26 am »
do u think u can update the rest of the SNES names and terminologies to their DS counterparts?

not that im trying to discourage what u're trying to accomplish, but i would like to play an SNES version of the game that adheres more to updated "canon" (and working on canoe ^^;).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 04:23:46 am by 91-MPH »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 16, 2019, 11:07:53 am »
do u think u can update the rest of the SNES names and terminologies to their DS counterparts?

not that im trying to discourage what u're trying to accomplish, but i would like to play an SNES version of the game that adheres more to updated "canon" (and working on canoe ^^;).
Sorry, there's just not enough space in the string limits for items, weapons, etc.. It'd take quite a bit of work to make those limits go away too, because they don't just spill over when you're over the limit.  You'd have to both deal with the menu UI and what makes the text go poof.

The one that got closest to it was LethargicOwl, it doesn't look the best at points and some are kept as-is due to limits.  I am working on more one-word items for Extended though.  I'll keep this suggestion in mind for that.

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 16, 2019, 02:25:18 pm »
Sorry, there's just not enough space in the string limits for items, weapons, etc.. It'd take quite a bit of work to make those limits go away too, because they don't just spill over when you're over the limit.  You'd have to both deal with the menu UI and what makes the text go poof.

The one that got closest to it was LethargicOwl, it doesn't look the best at points and some are kept as-is due to limits.  I am working on more one-word items for Extended though.  I'll keep this suggestion in mind for that.

If these limits u're referring to have anything to do with the 10-11 limit space for letters, that doesn't bother me at all; even when doing a translation that adheres to canon. I've seen it done before and I'm content with that.

And LethargicOwl's script still calls Masamune as Grandleon.... v_v

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 17, 2019, 01:27:57 pm »
If these limits u're referring to have anything to do with the 10-11 limit space for letters, that doesn't bother me at all; even when doing a translation that adheres to canon. I've seen it done before and I'm content with that.
I'll be frank.  It doesn't bother you, but it does bother some of us.  Me included, I just feel that it makes the menu look messier than it could be.  We had a great big discussion about this further back in the thread about what became Liberties Extended, which does already use a couple from DS.  I do plan on putting at least Mammoth from there.  I draw the line at specific "DS item" patches though; that's two more for me to tend to, and I've long ago set four as the limit.

And LethargicOwl's script still calls Masamune as Grandleon.... v_v
LethargicOwl's addendum has it's roots in the retranslation.  And Grandleon will happen in the separate 600AD improvement project (which I should note to everyone that it will be using v7 as a base, though I did start that earlier in the thread).

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 17, 2019, 02:15:41 pm »
I'll be frank.  It doesn't bother you, but it does bother some of us.  Me included, I just feel that it makes the menu look messier than it could be.  We had a great big discussion about this further back in the thread about what became Liberties Extended, which does already use a couple from DS.  I do plan on putting at least Mammoth from there.  I draw the line at specific "DS item" patches though; that's two more for me to tend to, and I've long ago set four as the limit.

LethargicOwl's addendum has it's roots in the retranslation.  And Grandleon will happen in the separate 600AD improvement project (which I should note to everyone that it will be using v7 as a base, though I did start that earlier in the thread).

So what u're saying is that, this project does use updated canon terms, but with limits on who or what gets them?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 02:27:50 pm by 91-MPH »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 17, 2019, 02:52:55 pm »
So what u're saying is that, this project does use updated canon terms, but with limits on who or what gets them?
If I get what you're saying, this hack really doesn't adhere so much to what you call "updated canon" as far as the DS game is concerned.  It fixes issues with the original, it is not a half-and-half SNES and DS.  I match with Cross when needed, and that doesn't call back as much as other sequels.  Yes, I do realize that's not everyone's cup of tea.  You are welcome to alter the items yourself if you need (honestly, that's the easy work).

As far as canon is concerned whenever I need to do it (and this game is mostly concerned with itself), the heirachy is usually Woolsey>Cross (there are very rare times when the sequel mentions anything however)>Aerdian's names when they apply>retrnaslation>Slattery.

I have only pulled from the DS version roughly 12-14 times not conuting Fiendlord.  And I honestly don't.  Fiendlord wasn't done because it was in the DS version, it is there to fix an issue and because it fits the best.  I tried other names out.

EDIT: Whoops, how'd that doublepost happen?  :-[
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 03:10:28 pm by Chronosplit »

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 17, 2019, 03:11:25 pm »
If I get what you're saying, this hack really doesn't adhere so much to what you call "updated canon" as far as the DS game is concerned.  It fixes issues with the original, it is not a half-and-half SNES and DS.  I match with Cross when needed, and that doesn't call back as much as other sequels.  Yes, I do realize that's not everyone's cup of tea.  You are welcome to alter the items yourself if you need (honestly, that's the easy work).

As far as canon is concerned whenever I need to do it (and this game is mostly concerned with itself), the heirachy is usually Woolsey>Cross (there are very rare times when the sequel mentions anything however)>retrnaslation>Slattery.

I have only pulled from the DS version roughly 12-14 times not conuting Fiendlord.  And I honestly don't.  Fiendlord wasn't done because it was in the DS version, it is there to fix an issue and because it fits the best.  I tried other names out.

So the changes in names and terminologies were meant to meet Chrono Cross standards? That makes sense, and I'll work with that. ^^

I'll wait till the canoe version gets updated though.

(Sorry if I was being a pest earlier... >.<)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 03:18:53 pm by 91-MPH »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 17, 2019, 03:16:46 pm »
That makes sense, and I'll work with that. ^^

I'll wait till the canoe version gets updated though.
Alright!  I'll keep that in mind, I'll need beta testers at the point it's updated.  It'll be a while though, there's a lot to update.

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 14, 2019, 01:54:26 pm »
Hey,

Any chance you could make your source code available?

I was messing around with MSU-1 and the only code I could patch without any conflicts was the one made by DarkShock, but that one is really glitchy.
The one by qwertymodo has conflicting addresses in pretty much every hook and I was only working with the music code of MSU-1 as I don't care for the FMV.

// NMI hijack
seek($00FF10)
jml MSU_UpdateLoop

Even the main hook conflicts.
As such, I couldn't get it working in most places of the ROM.

I plan to rebuild your romhack on top of the music MSU-1 code, and of course, I'll be sharing any progress with you aswell.