News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 41686 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #220 on: August 22, 2018, 09:47:11 am »
Hello Chronosplit, thanks for all you've done with this project. I just had a few questions if you could please clarify. The canoe patch on the front page is outdated correct? That says update 3. Digging into messages, it looks like the most recent update is Update6? But from what I understand that compatibility patch was for version 5b, but the current version is rebuilt 5d?

Will this patch still work or will there be issues? Now that the patch seems mostly complete, until 600 AD Retranslation is done anyway, do you think you could ask pimpinelephant to make an updated compatibility patch?   I'd really appreciate it and I look forward to playing this game on my SNES Classic in its most up to date form.
The MEGA link goes to the latest.  I had it renamed so that it would retain the same URL for download easier, since it's in the readme and canoe patch updates usually came out after I had uploaded the latest to RHDN.  It just had a lot of revisions as my patches were revised, that's all.

You'll want to apply the patch with older versions of Beat.  It'll throw up a warning but will apply the patch anyway, but you may be stuck in the version it was made for (it's still good, no worries).  There is more info in previous posts on making it work.

I guess since it got brought up, I need to update on the Canoe situation.  I've tried to contact Pimpine but they may possibly be MIA.  I didn't really want to mention this unless I was absolutely sure.  I do have a couple of options for making the canoe patch not require Beat, but none for actually updating it.

August 25, 2018, 02:37:56 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'm able to do a tiny bit more teasing.  One of my more liberal approaches:
Code: [Select]
Perhaps 'tis because the Queen hast
been through a lot, but I hear she's been
babbling about such nonsense lately. I
fear she may have gone mad!

I won't be drawing conclusions nearly so much, but it's somewhat established later that the "Queen" talks a lot about things no one knows the existence of.  I think after looking at the line it is somewhat implied that this is what the rumors are talking about.

Something less conclusion jumping:
I hear of plans for a Town Square,
built with the hope that peace shall last
a great many years.{null}

And they shall name it after Queen
Leene.{null}

It appears that Woolsey got the tense wrong when shortening the line, and this sounds more correct as you obviously can't see the Town Square yet.  I may be putting a similar line in the other patches.

Next post, probably lines from the King.  So far these quotes have been from town residents.  The Castle, the King, and his soldiers will all have marked differences.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:11:08 am by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 05, 2018, 09:57:44 pm »
Update time.  I have a few things to touch up on that haven't been mentioned in a while.

1. I'm tossing the more archaic Frog idea, at least for now.  Every time it either makes lines much too long (CT isn't one of those games with lots of text walls, and I've always tried to keep as much within the original's brevity where I can), or it ends up being hard to comprehend in one way or another.  Nope, sorry.  There are some artifacts of this that I may port over to other characters however, speaking of which...

2. Most of this waiting has been spent on both #1 and "higher class" indivduals.  The quotes you've seen me do are of those in towns, the normal peasants for the most part.  As this is the middle ages, I have it in mind to write the King and his Knights in a more formal tone.  Text will also be altered more.

3. You may have also noticed that I've kept -th suffixes out of my quotes, in spite of Frog using them commonly.  I'm honestly not one for them, but if I can make them work it'll be on the knights for familarity's sake, and not overused.  I may also just keep it specific to Frog, because... frog lippeth?

4. Toma: Not sure what to do with him yet, but I want him to be handled differently due to being somewhat important and a named guy.  He would certainly not be formal.  I realize that it sounds like I may have just glossed him over earlier, but never fear!

5. Mystics: I'm not keen on altering these much at all, outside of being disguised or talking about disguising.  I'm probably not going to alter these much at all, if for nothing else other than Magus's involvement.  The only exception here is Slash for the confrontation's sake.

No quotes this time, sorry for being empty handed!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:23:16 am by Chronosplit »

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 06, 2018, 07:22:56 pm »
I like your line of thought with all these points. Frog should be in line with the rest of the 600AD humans and the mystics should not be changed much.

Toma is an interesting question. It's hard to imagine him speaking with a medieval accent, but it's hard for me to come up with a good reason he wouldn't be.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 13, 2018, 01:17:58 pm »
I'm thinking of Toma being a bit of a rogue at this point, but I'm still working on ways to do it.

I'm thinking that it's time that I rolled out an update to the main patches.  I said these would be out later, but since things are going slow I figured these would be the major touch-ups anyway.  Give me a day or two, but here's my list:

-Fix to the lines mentioned in earlier quotes.
-Minor item description fixes (the original SNES ones still aren't the best, but text limits are a major problem).
-Given the current situation with it, I'm going to attempt making up either a standalone for Canoe or a version of the patch in addons (most likely the former).  For now it'll basically the same exact thing as the Canoe patch, except all you need is a clean ROM and it won't give you warnings.  This may or may not be updated after by me, but hey what you have is pretty good there anyway and it's sure a lot less confusing.
-Readme fixes on the Canoe front.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:45:24 pm by Chronosplit »

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 13, 2018, 02:28:06 pm »
If you're poking around trying to find an alternate accent for Toma, consider:

http://the-toast.net/2014/03/19/a-linguist-explains-british-accents-of-yore/

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 13, 2018, 08:51:17 pm »
If you're poking around trying to find an alternate accent for Toma, consider:

http://the-toast.net/2014/03/19/a-linguist-explains-british-accents-of-yore/
Thanks!  I'll keep this article in mind.

September 17, 2018, 12:43:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
We're almost done, and this will be out tomorrow if not today.  Here's the list for descriptions so far as it's the meatier part:

Armor:
-On the whole, elemental resistant armor is more consistent in descriptions.
-The word “hits” is no longer used in these descriptions.  Taking the lead from Safe Helm, it now reads “damage” across the board.
-Armor that resists an element by a percentage now says “Cuts (element) damage by (percentage).”
-Only armor that heals from damage says “absorbs,” vests now say “cuts.”
-There isn’t enough room for Taban Vest/Suit to carry these however.  Or at least I believe there isn’t.  I've at least changed the "fire guard up" thing to "50%/90% "Fire" dam. cut" respectively (the 90% is according to Chrono Compendium, the others say 50%, uh... Itemizer says around 80%?).
-Unified Mg Defense and the like to be more like how I fixed Magic Wall, fixes Vigil Hat's description being the wrong kind of defense.
-Protects/Locks status>Prevents all status.  I don't think that Lavos's removal of this benefit will be able to carry this.
-Fixed a spacing issue or three.

Weapons:
-The same goes for weapons that hit Magic enemies; Hit is a statistic found in item descriptions, so it’s best to replace this with damage for consistency’s sake.
-Also, Magic instead of Mg in these descriptions.  Yes, it is extra damage towards those that are magical.  Magical may be a little too big, however.
-Hero in the new Masamune's description is capitalized, to carry over the earlier 600 AD event fixes.
-Fixed a spacing issue in Rainbow's description.

Accessories:
-Magic/Power Seal’s description now correctly uses a slash.

Items:
Barrier and Shield have the hits to damage thing too.

For example…

Ruby Armor: Cuts “Fire” damage by 80%
Blue Mail/Plate: Absorbs “Water” damage
Red Vest: Cuts “Fire” damage by 50%
Nova Armor and Amulet: Prevents all status
Vigil Hat: Mag. Def. +9/Prevents all status
Demon Edge/Zanmato: 1.5x damage to Magic enemies

September 17, 2018, 04:27:20 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update's in the Mega with only the description fixes.  The rest will follow tomorrow, and only at that point will it be on RHDN.  All of this took longer than I thought it would.

September 20, 2018, 02:00:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Middle Ages lines are fixed, standalone canoe is in, it's all in the MEGA.
They’re going to build a Town Square,
with the hope that peace will last for
many years to come.{null}

And they’ll name it after Queen Leene.{null}

The Canoe version is basically the latest with the fix applied using old Beat (for now, after 600 AD I am prepared to figure out how to do some compare and replace to bring it up to the rest), but this time it uses a clean ROM as a base and is therefore compatible with all BPS patchers.  If anything's amiss or if the readme included in the Canoe folder is missing something, let me know!

As for why this was done I've given this a lot of thought, and I mean no disrespect to anyone but this is how I think about it.  There are three reasons here:

Spoiler:
1) Some are mightily confused at the setup with the patch (which is completely understandable I might add), and being holed into an older patcher may screw things up in the long run.  This nips that issue in the bud, and it's also even easier for everyone to use as it's all one file.

2) With the radio silence I'd rather it be on the database and in the main zip file.  If I happen to go poof for whatever reason, it's all in one place and easily mirrored without a weird explanation of how to apply the patch.

3) When/if Pimpinelephant comes back around, a standalone will be easier to maintain.  With the previous setup, if I had the need to make another update right after a canoe fix was updated things would get confusing again.  With a standalone version, it’s able to be maintained separately and therefore kept away from what some would call my shenanigans.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 04:20:59 pm by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2018, 04:33:10 pm »
A very small update was put in for the main patches.  Fixed one single typo that I completely forgot to insert last version, where an NPC was never updated in badge name.  But honestly I put this up mainly because of some readme typos and additions, and because it's zipped in a way that you have everything in one folder again (outside of the OSX garbage, not fixable).  For your organizational pleasure due to more items being in there now.

Nothing for Canoe yet, sorry!  Still looking into the whole compare and replace thing on top of 600AD.  Both are getting there.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 01, 2018, 05:05:14 pm »
Interesting news.  The Catalan translation of CT uses some bugfixes found in these projects.

This is something I never dreamed would happen as a result of all this.  So if anyone can use anything found in here for a translation in any language, you have my blessing.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 05:31:20 pm by Chronosplit »

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2018, 04:00:48 am »
It's great to see some of those fixes being spread to other projects.
Mauron wuz here.

hark_

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 10, 2018, 02:06:08 am »
Complete newbie, hoping someone can help-

Attempting to run the Canoe version of the patch on a clean rom to play on SNES Classic. Patched clean Chrono Trigger ROM with the Canoe.bps file, whenever I do this and add to Hakchi2 CE, I use the SFROM tool to change the Preset ID to 0B11, extra bit to 03. I then sync it with my SNES Classic, however I keep getting C7 error whenever I try to launch the game! I've verified the MD5/SHA-1 of the ROM is correct, and have used both FLIPS and Beat to patch the game with the Canoe.bps file. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Thank you very much for your time.

Bosco82

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 12, 2018, 05:56:55 pm »
When using the canoe patch make sure to change the rommap to LoRom and when using sfromtool the preset should be 110B
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 06:05:05 pm by Bosco82 »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2018, 10:37:39 am »
When using the canoe patch make sure to change the rommap to LoRom and when using sfromtool the preset should be 110B
Does this work for everyone?  If so I'll add the extra info to the canoe readme.

hark_

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 13, 2018, 11:35:09 am »
Does this work for everyone?  If so I'll add the extra info to the canoe readme.
Worked for me, after I unchecked the rom compression box in Hakchi2. Thanks!

OliviérBaguette

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 19, 2018, 04:54:05 pm »
Maybe I'm missing something, because every time I patch the Clean ROM first with the bugfix and then the canoe patch, I get a popup saying "This patch is not intended for this ROM." The same thing goes for patching with the canoe fix first. If there is a step I am missing, can someone please explain it to me?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 19, 2018, 08:19:17 pm »
Maybe I'm missing something, because every time I patch the Clean ROM first with the bugfix and then the canoe patch, I get a popup saying "This patch is not intended for this ROM." The same thing goes for patching with the canoe fix first. If there is a step I am missing, can someone please explain it to me?
Canoe is standalone, and it would be impossible to roll it into the other patches.  The BPS is working as intended, by telling you not to do that because you're not patching on a clean ROM.  If you want to play on Canoe, use the Canoe patch only.

The only time where applying two patches is needed is for Liberties extended, and that's only for the Liberties patches.  And I'm definitely thinking of making those two standalone at some point too, so everything only requires one patch in general.

OliviérBaguette

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 19, 2018, 11:45:28 pm »
Canoe is standalone, and it would be impossible to roll it into the other patches.  The BPS is working as intended, by telling you not to do that because you're not patching on a clean ROM.  If you want to play on Canoe, use the Canoe patch only.

The only time where applying two patches is needed is for Liberties extended, and that's only for the Liberties patches.  And I'm definitely thinking of making those two standalone at some point too, so everything only requires one patch in general.
Alright. Thank you for the information, and thank you for making this awesome patch!