News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 23916 times)

Mauron

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2018, 02:10:05 pm »
A Thief Bow wouldn't be possible. Steal needs to be done as a tech. There's some incomplete code that would allow a Final Fantasy style Mug if it was fixed, but I haven't gotten around to touching that up.
Mauron wuz here.

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 07, 2018, 11:52:35 pm »
The mod I was referring to was Chrono Trigger Lavos' Awakening. Apparently only a few items still need to be charmed (ala, the ones in Ozzie's Fort).

Having to keep Ayla 24/7 in my party is making me not want to launch the game anymore  :'(.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2018, 08:28:17 pm »
Good news for once: tonight the personal issues should be resolved, mostly.  I won't be at 100% speed but I do expect the small update (it will look bigger thanks to me posting in code tags as before) out soon after this.  In the meantime, a couple of discussions about how I'm handling a couple of things in the last lookover for a good while (no, really, I've got to put this down for 600 AD).  These are very small and hairy situations, but they are judgement calls that I realize some will not like.  I'd like to make an optional patch but it's just too much for too little.

1) No Woolsey made puns in the Future, Amplifier stays.  I'd like to point out that CT does have punny names, but it's played the Future (mostly) in a more serious tone with these things.  Plus, given what's revealed in the sidequests about the robots' origin I do not think their creators would be giving them humorous names.

2) Soda guzzling: Trust me, I've taken concerns about this one pretty seriously.  I've let it stand before, and after looking at it again I'm standing firm on that.  This is mostly because Woolsey's text is actually more consistent with the game than original text.  Original just talks of it as drinking, which while I do realize can imply as an alcohol reference... well, let me line out just what I'm thinking in detail:

1. Unlike the game with Ayla there isn't anything about anyone getting drunk, or drinking anyone under the table.  It's pretty ambiguous in comparison, and though you can argue it's the difference between time periods Marle doesn't even mention the alcohol.  This leads me to believe that there is another substance involved, because you just downed most of a six pack and no one's bringing it up.  Yeah I know, this is just a minigame, but once again I'm comparing this with Ayla's similar game.  In consistency, the localization wins out.

2. I know of two types of drinking game versions: those with alcohol and those with water, soda, etc..  Under the latter, Woolsey actually isn't wrong.  This only really ends up being relevant with the lighter touch I've been giving some Woolseyisms (Slash for example), combined with how I handled the Moonlight Parade alcohol reference (kept the current line, changed the product).

As you can see, I've given this probably more thought than I'd like to admit.  But there you have it.  If you're not okay with these, it's pretty easy to shift them over and I am perfectly okay with that!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:54:11 am by Chronosplit »

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2018, 09:32:53 pm »
Great to hear those issues have been resolved.

As far as the soda guzzling contest at the fair, I agree 100 percent and find it very odd that people would want it to be alcohol. The overall tone of the millennial fair is extremely childlike and innocent. While I'm sure alcoholic beverages have been served at such events historically, it just doesn't fit what we are presented with here. Also, wouldn't a charge of drunk and disorderly conduct be one of the prosecutions points on trial if the game actually intended this to be alcohol? Making that change would be akin to some of the excesses of J2E's FFIV translation.

Barnio

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2018, 06:24:48 am »
Hi,

First of all, as a newly arrived here, let me thank you for the incredible work and dedication you guys put into conceiving the various patchs, it is oh so enjoyable.   :thumbsup:

Now, I come with exactly the same issue as Apex a couple posts earlier - :  I tried to patch CT with Chronosplit mod, initially the bugfix+sky+liberties, and it doesn't launch on snesc/canoe (more precisely, it freezes when Chrono shoould wake up, and if I input 11B0 [zero, or letter O?) +03, it doesnt charge at all).

My issue is that I can't get ctfix_1a (update6).bps to apply on the rom, using Flips 1.31 "apply patch" option (getting the error message, and Rom file, from its time of modification, doesnt seem to get patched). I tried, 2 different roms, with the various Chronosplit mods, like just bug fix, uncensor, or even the extended versions.

Where is noobish me doing it wrong?
Thanks in advance for any hint !  ^^

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2018, 10:30:10 am »
If the older Beat suggestion I made earlier does not work, my advice is to sit tight.  After I update, when Pimpinelephant updates the canoe fix it'll be 100% compatible for a good while.

July 11, 2018, 08:17:38 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Aaaaaand here we are, the new update!  It's in the mega, and I'll be submitting to RHDN soon.

Like before, I've lined out things as detailed as possible for the sake of the Canoe patch.

Lucca’s Workshop:
Code: [Select]
Taban: Oh, you’re just in time!{null}
Guardia King’s Chamber (Middle Ages}:
Oh, {Crono}…
I’ve let down my kingdom.{full break}
Since we cannot locate Cyrus, our sole
hope rests on the boy who has the
Hero’s Medal…{full break}
He searches the southern continent
for the sword that can defeat
{Magus}.{null}

I’m so ashamed… {full break}
I treated him badly, thinking he was
just some brat.{full break}
Luckily, he forgave me.
A Hero, HE IS.{null}

(Note: I’m going with what Frog calls it at the end of his flashback.  There’s too little space to add the ’s to the accessory itself.)

Guardia Barracks (Middle Ages):
Heard something ‘bout a Hero showing
up.{null}

Arris Dome:
{Lucca}: We came from the Ruins to
the west. Why do you ask?{null}

You can reach the continent to the
south through the Sewer Access,
but stay off of {“1}Death Peak.{”2}
That’s the disaster’s source!{null}

Sandorino Inn:
They stopped {Magus}.{full break}
Now that it’s safe I’m enjoying my
red wine!
It’s good for your heart, you know!{null}

Denandoro Cave of the Masamune:
Mune: Hey, they’re pretty tough!{null}
Reborn Epoch:
{Marle}: {PC1}!
Hit the A Button, quick!{null}

{Lucca}: {PC1}!
Hit the A Button, quick!{null}

{Robo}: {PC1}!
Please press the A Button!{null}

{Frog}: {PC1}!
Me thinketh, ’tis the A Button!{null}

(I do not see Ayla’s line for this specific function, I guess she can’t really make anything of it!)

West Cape:
Toma: You guys are a riot a minute!
The booze is always the best when
you’re around.{full break}
See ya!{null}

Lavos Tunnel:
{Frog}: ’Tis most disturbing.
This place be fouler than even the lair
of {Magus}…{null}

-Removed a two space indent in the beginning of a line in Truce Canyon Portal.
-Removed a line break when Ayla asks for your name.
-Fixed Lucca’s Workshop having no music in some patches.  You wouldn’t have really noticed it due to it being on the world map, though.
-Forced TF to re-save Valkyrie and Triple Raid to hopefully fix issues (The former had a space after it, the latter was displaying weirdly when the learnt message popped up but was working correctly.)
-Debuggest>Debugger EX

SkyDark patches only:
-Changed Lightning to Sky in the Dragon Tank Owner’s Manual.

Not fixed/cannot be fixed:
-Not sure about Triple Raid yet.
-Magus’s indents I do not think I can really fix, it appears to be a product of the scripting that isn’t a line break?
-I can’t appear to find the Ocean Palace indents.  I’ve looked through the throne room and time freeze, that could also be the same thing as above.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:35:40 am by Chronosplit »

Barnio

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 11, 2018, 07:18:04 pm »
Thanks for the quick answer Chronosplit!

It did indeed work using Beat for the pstching (error returned, but still created patch)!
  :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot for that!

May I humbly suggest to add the required presetID and +03 thing in the readme file alongside your patch? I could be handy to have that info more easily associated.

Looking forward to your future work!  :beer:

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 11, 2018, 08:24:14 pm »
Thanks for the quick answer Chronosplit!

It did indeed work using Beat for the pstching (error returned, but still created patch)!
  :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot for that!

May I humbly suggest to add the required presetID and +03 thing in the readme file alongside your patch? I could be handy to have that info more easily associated.

Looking forward to your future work!  :beer:
I'll definitely do that to the readme in another upload after this is up on RHDN, which will not contain a patch update.  I'll probably do that around next canoe fix update (there's a lot here though, so hold your horses) in case I need to relocate the mega link.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:18:38 pm by Chronosplit »

Xaliphe

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 11, 2018, 09:34:50 pm »
Do you have a save file around the time of Magus' speech? Also, I don't remember seeing any display bug when learning Triple Raid in my recent playthrough not that long ago. :huh:

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 12, 2018, 12:53:05 am »
Do you have a save file around the time of Magus' speech? Also, I don't remember seeing any display bug when learning Triple Raid in my recent playthrough not that long ago. :huh:
The Triple Raid thing is weird.  I ran into this myself in my last playthrough, and I didn't really find anything wrong with the listing itself.  After learning it everything acts like it never happened though, so if the bug's still around it's completely harmless!  Maybe I ran into something random even, but I wanted to make sure.

Uh, save files... closest I have at this exact moment is right after Magic Cave: https://www.sendspace.com/file/c8a0vj

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2018, 07:45:10 pm »
I downloaded the 5g update and encountered an issue when I use the flips patcher to apply the skydark + liberties extended patch to the same chrono trigger rom I've been using for all your recent updates. It gave me a message about it being an incompatible rom. After that, I applied the skydark + liberties (not extended) to the same rom and it worked fine.

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 14, 2018, 01:43:59 am »
I've found that if you patch using the program beat, even if there says that an error occurred while patching, it still applies the patch and saves a working rom. I think this is the only option until Pimpinelephant comes out with an updated canoe patch. Hope this helps you.

I downloaded the 5g update and encountered an issue when I use the flips patcher to apply the skydark + liberties extended patch to the same chrono trigger rom I've been using for all your recent updates. It gave me a message about it being an incompatible rom. After that, I applied the skydark + liberties (not extended) to the same rom and it worked fine.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2018, 09:32:53 am »
I've just rebuilt the addons and reuploaded, RHDN soon to follow.

I've tested and it all works now. Do not forget, it's an addon.  Apply after SkyDark+Name Liberties.  :P
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:54:55 am by Chronosplit »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 14, 2018, 05:47:17 pm »
Hey Chronosplit just throw me a message when the canoe patch is done for the latest update and I'll test it out for you.

I recently had another playthrough with your update before this one, and noticed zero issues  :thumbsup:

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2018, 09:45:24 am »
Thanks guys. Not a canoe user so I think my issue was, as Chronosplit pointed out, forgetting it was an add-on patch.  :banghead:

The differences between liberties and extended may be small but I truly adore the changes in the latter.