News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 26350 times)

teahouser

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2018, 04:55:07 am »
ctfix_1a (update2).bps = full Canoe compatibility, works perfect pimpinelephant great work! Everything has taken effect, awesome job you two on getting these fixes out so quickly, seems everything has been addressed  :beer:

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2018, 09:08:02 am »
Thanks a lot to the both of you!  Links are being updated, update submitted, and with luck this should be the main patches' last update.

Also, I put the current canoe fix in Mega in case sendspace goes boom, but I don't want to put that out until it does.  So if the link is ever dead yell at me.

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 24, 2018, 02:16:51 am »
Oh, you can put it up on Mega now. It's probably for the better since SendSpace deletes files for inactivity.

Just want to say, loving the bugfix/uncensoring patches! Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:
I've beaten Chrono Trigger more times than I can count (not to toot my own horn ;D) so it's great to play a kind-of "Woolsey Uncensored" edition, especially since I think Woolsey actually did a really good job with Chrono Trigger (don't hate me!). :laugh:

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2018, 11:38:10 am »
I juuuuust noticed that Magus's Lightning 2 didn't get updated in the SkyDark patches.  Whoopsie.  Yeah, that's probably going to need a Canoe fix update too.  Pimpinelephant, do you mind doing another quick one?

If you're not using SkyDark, don't worry about this one.

Oh, you can put it up on Mega now. It's probably for the better since SendSpace deletes files for inactivity.

Just want to say, loving the bugfix/uncensoring patches! Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:
I've beaten Chrono Trigger more times than I can count (not to toot my own horn ;D) so it's great to play a kind-of "Woolsey Uncensored" edition, especially since I think Woolsey actually did a really good job with Chrono Trigger (don't hate me!). :laugh:
Noted!  This update has the readme pointing to a mega link which will always have the latest in the canoe fix.

Nitpicky opinions approaching:
I feel the same way after looking over scripts, honestly.  There are bugs (or this wouldn't really be here), and honestly I do feel like there are parts where I will admit the newer script is better (I plan on addressing Slash in the the Frog-centered edited version, none of these will be effected by that), but Woolsey's gets a looot done right the first time around.  There's also something else kinda hard to explain, but SNES got it right by word count where the DS script in particular gets a bit more verbose.  In an RPG, usually more words=better.  However, CT itself's greatest strength is it's ability to be focused and the SNES script aids that by keeping things to a similar length.  If only because of space limits.

That said, I do not hate Slattery's script at all.  I'm just giving it a critical eye is all.  Maybe one of these far off days I'll give the DS version a gander for modification as there are some things which do stick out, but I'm not giving any guarantee whatsoever.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:43:37 am by Chronosplit »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2018, 01:45:29 pm »
Hey Chronosplit if you're updating patches the only other thing I found is the Third Eye description should be changed from 2x evade to 2.5x evade to match the battle/menu values.

fool777

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2018, 04:12:12 pm »
Hey Chronosplit i tried getting chrono trigger to run on a european snes classic mini with hakchi ce 1.2.5. I tried  patching the rom with several of your versions (also the ctfix_1a (update2).bps) but don't get it to work.
I get a checksum failure with the ctfix_1a. I think the only rom that canoe supports need CRC: 2D206BF7?

your normal hacks are patching just fine but on the snes the game freezes after mum tells you to wake up.

Is there any way to get this to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated =)

Keep up the good work!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2018, 04:49:20 pm »
Hey Chronosplit if you're updating patches the only other thing I found is the Third Eye description should be changed from 2x evade to 2.5x evade to match the battle/menu values.
Alright, hold up.  One of us is wrong here.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:54:35 pm by Chronosplit »

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2018, 04:59:09 pm »
My fix addressed the number displayed for the evade stat when the Third Eye is equipped, not the item's description.
Mauron wuz here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2018, 05:02:12 pm »
No, I see what I've done wrong after a nice search.  Mauron and Teahouser are right, I forgot to update that part looooong ago was all.  Give me a few minutes, gotta update all the patches and all that.

May 25, 2018, 05:21:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Alright, it's up.  Also found out one of the patches was made wrong last time, which is fortunate because all patches got built with this one.

Sorry about the misunderstanding!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:05:05 pm by Chronosplit »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2018, 06:10:01 pm »
Perfect, and once pimpinelephant has had to time to edit the canoe patch I can test it out to make sure changes took effect.

I think Woosley did a great job with his translation. I agree with you Chronosplit that obviously he missed the mark in some places, but the fact that he got most of it right, and his story telling flows and is to the point, works in his favor in keeping the player interested in the story. KWhazit's retranslation just was too literal for me, and felt it took itself too seriously. Also I just can't play a game where the main enemy general and his lieutenants are named after condiments. I can't do it lol.

What about Slash (Soysauce?! Lmao) were you thinking of changing in your new version?

pimpinelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 26, 2018, 02:18:40 am »
Apologies for the delay!

ctfix_1a (update3)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/e0itja

Again, I haven't tested it myself but I think I got everything.
Needs confirmation though. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:07:42 am by pimpinelephant »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 26, 2018, 03:15:24 am »
Apologies for the delay!

ctfix_1a (update3)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/e0itja

Again, I haven't tested it myself but I think I got everything.
Needs confirmation though. :)

Confirmed fixed in Canoe, good job man.

fool777

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2018, 03:59:31 am »
New version with update 3 doesn't work for me :/ patching works and rom is created.
when i try to start it on the snes theres just a "loading ..." displayed and i get an error warning c7 and the game shuts down.

What am i missing?

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2018, 01:23:06 pm »
New version with update 3 doesn't work for me :/ patching works and rom is created.
when i try to start it on the snes theres just a "loading ..." displayed and i get an error warning c7 and the game shuts down.

What am i missing?

The game's preset ID and extra byte value have to be changed in order for this to run on Canoe.

To do so: select the game's name on the left hand side in Hakchi's menu, then press control+alt+e which will bring up the preset ID selection menu for that game. Change the preset ID to 0B11 and the extra byte value to 03. Now resync with your snes mini and you should be good to go.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:29:42 pm by teahouser »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2018, 02:07:31 pm »
Thanks a lot for the quick patch-up, pimpineelephant!

Quick heads up because I need to make this quick: Mega slipped on a banana peel while I was updating the canoe fix download, so I needed to make a different link URL earlier today.  Either way the mirror's was updated.

The readme's been updated with this and the correction of Third Eye's ancient whoopsie in the mega download.  I'm not getting this to RHDN yet; partially because no patches are updated, partially because I want to wait a week or so just in case, and partially because I want to look over the readme for any more mistakes when I have the time.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 02:18:39 pm by Chronosplit »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2018, 03:06:14 pm »
Chronosplit may I make a suggestion for an update on a future patch release? Changing the stars in front of single techs to properly display elemental damage. It's something that's always bugged me because I'm super OCD about stuff, the game uses them improperly a few times for buffs/status moves as well as flat out missing for a bunch of techs that actually cause elemental damage. Correcting this would improve the move selection at its core for most players who don't memorize elemental damage moves.
Here's a list of what the changes for each character would be:
-Crono-
Almost all right, except for Life, it should not have a star since it's a heal.
-Lucca-
Flame Toss, Napalm, and Mega Bomb should have a star in front (there's even room for it with leaving a space in between flame toss).
Protect needs to have the star removed since it's status effect.
-Marle-
Cure, Haste, Cure 2, Life 2 all need to have their stars removed since they are status effect/heals
-Frog-
Heal and Cure 2 need the stars removed.
-Robo-
Laser Spin, Proximity Bomb, and Shock all need stars added in front.
-Magus-
Magic Wall needs star removed since it's a buff.
-Ayla-
Only one they didn't make any mistakes lol

Now if you do that, the stars for single techs will become useful and coherent feature, instead of useless and misinforming.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 03:16:48 pm by teahouser »

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2018, 03:16:54 pm »
I thought the star was magic, not elemental.

Slash would need a star as well for an elemental pattern.
Mauron wuz here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2018, 03:28:17 pm »
IIRC the star represents magic, as in what Spekkio grants you.  That's why Robo doesn't get any in the game, because he says the lasers aren't magic even though they have an element and use the right stat.

Maybe as an optional addon though?  I don't see it crashing into names all that much, but I'll have to check.

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2018, 03:34:11 pm »
IIRC the star represents magic, as in what Spekkio grants you.  That's why Robo doesn't get any in the game, because he says the lasers aren't magic even though they have an element and use the right stat.

Maybe as an optional addon though?  I don't see it crashing into names all that much, but I'll have to check.

But then Spekkio goes on to say that laser causes Shadow damage, but no star? Technically every tech can be viewed as magic, they all require MP.

I'm almost 100% positive the stars are meant to show elemental damage and are just horribly implemented. Look how some status/cures have stars and others don't? There is literally no pattern to the stars currently. I think you have an opportunity to greatly improve the move menu. I've read from multiple sources the stars are for elemental damage attacks but just arent used right.

Wind Slash is a tough one, its an elemental attack you're right, but causes physical damage. The stars are for elemental damage.

EDIT:
Ok I see where you guys are coming from, you're saying the stars are for spells only, and have nothing to do with the elements themselves, I can see your point. If this is the case though, the stars are still all wrong, Marle's Aura and Provoke should both have stars then but don't. Frog's Slurp should have a star then but it doesn't. I just feel the stars showing elemental damage instead is of much greater use then currently showing that it's a spell, which doesn't serve much use at all.

So currently even if the stars are only to show "magic spells" they are still wrong and are missing a bunch.  With the stars meaning elemental damage they become useful to gameplay. One of the main things about this game is needing to know what type of element a enemy is weak to (by what character you have selected) and what tec will cause damage with said element. Stars showing elemental damage clearly show the player what attacks from that character will be useful against the enemy. It makes the most sense in my head and also is useful for the majority of players.

The more you think about it my way, the more it will make sense to you I think. Especially when if you still want it to show magic spells only, its wrong and missing a bunch currently, so right now it serves zero function. Switching it to all elemental damage attacks seems like the clear choice once you realize it's wrong and needs correcting anyways.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 04:15:52 pm by teahouser »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2018, 04:15:47 pm »
I do see your point either way, that's why I propose an optional thing.  People can choose and by that everyone wins.  Only weakness to this is that I'm not sure if the Canoe fix will cover addons.

Either way, it'll take a while to impliment.  IRL, you know. :P