News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 26828 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2018, 10:32:43 pm »
Currently playing with an MSU-1 patch. Doesn't seem to be any issues so far.
Also I found a typo. One of the dudes in Trann Dome mentions Lab 16 instead of Ruin 16.
He says this even without MSU-1 patch applied.

EDIT:
Okay so playing with both patches in bsnes will cause a black screen after Crono's mother tells him to wake up. This does not happen in Snes9x, though Snes9x makes it so the msu-1 audio doesn't resume after a battle no matter what msu-1 patch is applied.
I'm using RetroArch to play, if that matters.
Typo noted.  I had forgotten Trann Dome, as the areas don't get mentioned much at all.  I'll get that fixed in a bit. :P

Huh... I doubt this is an issue with MSU-1 alone as it would've been caught either way.  I'll run things through conflict finder after fixing the typo.  I know that the event sequence mentioned works in BSNES with my own patches, I've tested both emulators.

EDIT: By the way, a side note: it appears that it's Temporal Flux that causes the bad checksums.  That means I need to fix them every time before making a patch.  Also, typo fix is in the mega.
EDIT 2: Looks like between Bugfix Alone and the MSU1 resume patch there are 5 conflicts, though they are a lot smaller than with the FMVs.  This is info worth knowing for later, it also means that 0x05F370 - 0x05F71C is most likely where the root of the issue is.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:11:11 am by Chronosplit »

NMMK

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2018, 02:40:59 am »
Cool!

I'm being led to believe that the music resuming issue is just an issue with the snes9x core in RetroArch. I've seen footage of it working in the real emulator. Given the small amount of conflicts that msu-1 has, I would hope they are relatively easy fixes for you. Idk how long it will take you, but I'm extremely excited for working msu-1 compatibility in this hack. Personally, I don't mind not having the FMVs (even though they are really damn cool). They seem pretty choppy based on what I've seen. Either way, I'm seeing this as the definitive way to play Chrono Trigger.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2018, 11:42:23 am »
Cool!

I'm being led to believe that the music resuming issue is just an issue with the snes9x core in RetroArch. I've seen footage of it working in the real emulator. Given the small amount of conflicts that msu-1 has, I would hope they are relatively easy fixes for you. Idk how long it will take you, but I'm extremely excited for working msu-1 compatibility in this hack. Personally, I don't mind not having the FMVs (even though they are really damn cool). They seem pretty choppy based on what I've seen. Either way, I'm seeing this as the definitive way to play Chrono Trigger.
Thank you very much!

I'm thinking that I'll most likely end up putting in the whole thing instead of modifying patches, and event parts will need to be done four times (one for each patch, due to how they're set up now).  This does sound long and daunting on paper, but I'm not sweating the details until everything is actually ready to start.  If nothing else I have a good size chunk of free bytes waiting for it.  Either way both the music and FMVs are opt-in by design (if you don't have the files it'll run normally), so you should be able to run the MSU1 music without the FMVs just fine at that point.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:49:14 am by Chronosplit »

NMMK

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2018, 11:34:28 pm »
I'll be going through my newgame+ playthrough to look for more errors. I've already found a few more text errors (some I can't list at the moment). I'll also list some more personal gameplay changes that I'd like to see. Not to give you more work to do lol.
Expect a future post.

For now I'll just say that I think it would be cool if you were to consider adding cut content into the patch, but not to go overboard (glitchy, clearly unfinished areas and stuff, etc), similar to how Chrono Trigger+ does things.

I know literally nothing about the difficulties of this, but I wonder what your thoughts are on this.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:03:27 am by NMMK »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2018, 12:29:09 pm »
I'll be going through my newgame+ playthrough to look for more errors. I've already found a few more text errors (some I can't list at the moment). I'll also list some more personal gameplay changes that I'd like to see. Not to give you more work to do lol.
Expect a future post.

For now I'll just say that I think it would be cool if you were to consider adding cut content into the patch, but not to go overboard (glitchy, clearly unfinished areas and stuff, etc), similar to how Chrono Trigger+ does things.

I know literally nothing about the difficulties of this, but I wonder what your thoughts are on this.
It is not a bad idea, but cut things are kinda out of the focus of this project.  Plus does such a great job at it and it has some (but not all) of my own edits folded in anyway.

If someone wanted to do stuff like this as an addendum I'd be okay with it, though.

Neat "what if" mention speaking of additions: I had a thought one time of "wouldn't it be great if Coliseum could be folded in, with weapons that did things completely differently as a prize like a magically focused Dark Saber for Crono?"  Something like that would be ideal if I were to add anything, due to being completely optional and not bugging it's way in along with mixing up combat as a bonus.  I had thought against it though, as it was thought up too late after the rebuilding so implementation would be extremely hairy (I can only find the coli in patch form, and it of course isn't compatible) let alone making it a separate patch.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:57:19 pm by Chronosplit »

NMMK

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2018, 03:16:38 pm »
Yeah maybe someone will do a merging in the future of the two projects.
Also, here are some more errors to look at.

1. Robo introduces himself as R66-Y, but the R Series bots are addressed in the R-6XY format, he is also referred to as R-66Y throughout other parts in 2300 A.D. So Robo's name should be R-66Y instead.

2. While arriving at the End of Time for the first time, the old man says "Ah, more guests...!", then Lucca replies saying "'What do you mean, "guest"'...?" when it should be "guests."

3. In Kajar, in the Zeal Kingdom, there is a person who says "Why do those the the power of magic and those without both exist? Hmm..." He says "the" two times. The first "the" is probably meant to be "with" instead.

4. In Chorus 1000 A.D., after doing the Cyrus side-quest, there is a person who says "Cyrus's best friend, Glenn, used a legendary sword to beat the Magus's troops." The word "the" between "beat" and "Magus's" shouldn't be there.

5. Power Seal and Magic Seal items have no descriptions.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2018, 03:29:28 pm »
Magus isn't his name, it's a title (a translation/localization of "maou" which translates to "demon-king" and is a generic evil-overlord-type title in Japanese media). "The Magus" is correct.

NMMK

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2018, 05:17:45 pm »
Magus isn't his name, it's a title (a translation/localization of "maou" which translates to "demon-king" and is a generic evil-overlord-type title in Japanese media). "The Magus" is correct.

I see. I just think it's strange that everywhere else in the game he is just called "Magus"

DarioEMeloD

• RomHacking enthusiast / Audio guy
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2018, 08:02:41 pm »
What if you (player) change his name though?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2018, 11:10:44 pm »
Yeah maybe someone will do a merging in the future of the two projects.
Also, here are some more errors to look at.

1. Robo introduces himself as R66-Y, but the R Series bots are addressed in the R-6XY format, he is also referred to as R-66Y throughout other parts in 2300 A.D. So Robo's name should be R-66Y instead.

2. While arriving at the End of Time for the first time, the old man says "Ah, more guests...!", then Lucca replies saying "'What do you mean, "guest"'...?" when it should be "guests."

3. In Kajar, in the Zeal Kingdom, there is a person who says "Why do those the the power of magic and those without both exist? Hmm..." He says "the" two times. The first "the" is probably meant to be "with" instead.

4. In Chorus 1000 A.D., after doing the Cyrus side-quest, there is a person who says "Cyrus's best friend, Glenn, used a legendary sword to beat the Magus's troops." The word "the" between "beat" and "Magus's" shouldn't be there.

5. Power Seal and Magic Seal items have no descriptions.
I'll look into these.  Weird about #5, wonder if that's in all patches...

As for merging?  Might be cool but if anyone wants to do it, that might need to be much later (btw if anyone wants any of my ideas for coliseum prizes, I can write down the rough stuff).

What if you (player) change his name though?
I need to check if it's tied to call Magus's name or just Magus.  I'll change the line if it's tied to his name, that would be an error.

Midna is completely right though.

EDIT: Now that's weird.  One Seal has {null} and the other dups it.  This seems to be similar to BraveSword/Demon Hit/Masamune's bug because the duping extends down to Relic which is right under the  Seals.  I can tend to this, best way to go about it is to use existing terms to make up a description.  If I did any riffs I'd be doing the all of the item descriptions (though it's tempting, given that the stamina abbreviation is unneeded... hmm, unifying these terms would be nice too).

March 29, 2018, 01:07:55 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Okay, update's in the Mega.  Hope this worked out right.

-Fixed the Seals not having any descriptions
-Robo's Serial Number is now more consistent
-Fixed a double the in Kajar
-Fixed Lucca's incorrect response to Gaspar in the first dialog thing (probably missed this one due to End of Time having so much).
-Fixed an incorrect tag in Choras.  {Magus} should be Magus, as in his title.  I believe this is the only time in the localization where this sort of title is used.
 -A mention in Truce Inn, Middle Ages talked about The {Magus}, however this actually should be just his name instead of the title.  So "The" was removed.
 -There are actually a couple more mentions of this title in original text, one of them is in North Cape by Magus himself so I let this be.  Another is after you defeat the Heckran, and actually the localization has it more consistent there as the Heckran refers to Magus by his name.

Liberties only:
Bronze Fist>Karma Fist (Why does it go from Iron to Bronze again?  Actually you could put a Street Fighter reference here instead due to the name being shared by Ryu's original trainer, but I decided to keep a space in.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:07:55 pm by Chronosplit »

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2018, 10:37:37 pm »
Bronze is stronger than iron, but iron is far more plentiful in nature than bronze, IIRC.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2018, 02:29:00 pm »
I've got good news!  There is now a patch that will make my patches (well, at least one of them but they all should be good) compatible with Canoe, and therefore the SNES Classic natively.  I would like to encourage everyone who can to give it a shot, and give Sluffy word of any issues with it: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg358606#msg358606

Along with this a statement for the future: I can safely say that the files you now see in the zip files will not be altered any more unless a huge bug pops up.  Regard these as complete.  MSU-1/FMVs and whatever else when eventually done will be put up as addons similarly to the Liberties Extended patches, so as not to effect these files (Canoe can't MSU-1 anyway).  So, if you're wanting to stick these on your flashcart (or god forbid a repro, I can't really stop you there) you should be 100% safe if you feel like you may be screwed over later by me adding an updated version.

In a while, I'll be updating the readmes with this new development.

EDIT: Updated this post link to new version.  Also, according to this post you'll want to use Preset ID 110B+03 with my patches: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.msg358623#msg358623
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 05:04:54 pm by Chronosplit »

luckoskij

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2018, 01:54:42 pm »
Hello,

First things first; thanks for taking the time to do all of this. However, I think there may be some issues with the current rom hacks up on mega and RHDC. I have patched with what was supposed to be SkyDark + BugFixes (obviously) + Name Liberties. However, the Lightning element doesn't change (the image on Chrono's details page and what Speekkio says). I re-downloaded the rom, patched again with ONLY the bugfixes + skydark and still Lightning remained. The description for the Thunder did change to "sky damage/ one target" so the patch did happen.

Another issue I noticed is that when drinking sake with Lucca, the selector was over the options. So the hand would cover the "it" of "Hit me."

Another issue I thought I saw but cannot confirm is right after Lucca fixes Robo and he says his serial number (the correct R-66Y to match the rest), Lucca then says the incorrect R66-Y format. I may have only imagined that.

[Edit] Additional info: patched using flips. Tested on retropie v4.4 and snes9x.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:02:15 pm by luckoskij »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2018, 02:28:51 am »
Huh, I'll check this out later today.  I believe I know what's up with the party choices at least.  The SkyDark stuff is weird though.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:21:11 am by Chronosplit »

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2018, 03:44:25 am »
I can confirm that using your SkyDark patch changes the text (except when speekkio introduces you to magic, he still says lightning/shadow still) but Chronos and Magus elemental menu icons are not the updated Sky/Dark they remain lightning/shadow, respectively. I'm playing on Canoe.

I'm halfway through a new game+ using sluffy's patch with zero problems. I saw your post in his thread, I'll be happy to start another game and test your updated version when it's out.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2018, 09:46:42 am »
Well, I've redone the Sky/Dark patching and I can see it now!

Everything else is text based and shouldn't be very long to do.

EDIT: Yep, just as I thought.  Party multichoices with Lucca were missing line breaks (you want to add these, this was their way of making sure the cursor didn't meet in), and the serial number goof is there deep in Proto Dome.
EDIT 2: Yep, Spekkio kinda... reverted himself at one point?  I uh, am not sure what caused that but it's being fixed.  Maybe I missed doing it way back when, I dunno.
EDIT 3: OK, here's what I'm gonna do about Canoe: as the fixpatch is a BPS I cannot use it on the updated version, however they should be compatible.  What I need to do is change the format to IPS so this isn't really an issue anymore.

May 18, 2018, 10:54:04 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update's in the Mega, submitted in a bit.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:54:04 am by Chronosplit »

luckoskij

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2018, 11:20:09 am »
Thanks for the quick replies and fixes. I checked the new patch on a clean rom and it works. Sky is shown correctly now.

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2018, 11:59:26 am »
I can confirm that your updated patch works with sluffy's patch, ctfix_1a.bps + 110B + 03 in Canoe. Everything seems to be perfect.

The Sky/Dark elemental menu icons are now displaying Sky/Dark in Canoe, great work Chronosplit! I'll go through a new game+ just to make sure there everything is 100% working, but it looks like Sluffy's patch is completely compatible with your newest release!

EDIT----

I tried patching again using your new ctfix_1a.ips instead of .bps and the game loads, except the .ips patch reverts the menu icons back to lightning/shadow.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:06:15 pm by teahouser »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2018, 03:41:05 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Nice to know that the new Canoe patch format is working with the update.  I very highly doubt there are any issues as they are extremely similar.  There are things that keep liberties extended from being compatible with everything and that's why there are two BPS patches, but there should not be anything that would break Sluffy's patch.

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2018, 04:41:35 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Nice to know that the new Canoe patch format is working with the update.  I very highly doubt there are any issues as they are extremely similar.  There are things that keep liberties extended from being compatible with everything and that's why there are two BPS patches, but there should not be anything that would break Sluffy's patch.

It's working, but sluffy's .bps canoe patch that you converted to an .ips patch for some reason reverts the sky/dark menu icons back to lightning/shadow while using your Bugfix+SkyDark and Name Liberties patch.

Both the .ips and .bps canoe patches change your game from a ExHiROM to ExLoROM + S-DD1 so it plays in Canoe, just that issue with the menu icons when using your patch with the .ips Canoe patch you uploaded.