News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 26488 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:15:32 am »
I figure that it’s time to make a thread, now that the patch is completely standalone.  Now that it’s had a major change I think it’s time we got to business with taking things farther.  In its addendum form, there were many lines that couldn’t be fixed due to the older patch.  Now that this isn’t an issue and this patch makes the ROM a bigger size I think this is a good time for a shift in focus.  The idea I want to follow is preserving the original localization, but at the same time fixing most of the errors.

Here’s how I’m going to manage this project going forward: I’m going to keep a checklist here of things to do or things I’m spitballing.  If you have anything that you’d like to see added or any comment about an item, speak up.  If you don’t like something or think I can improve something already added, speak up.  When something’s completed or not happening it’ll be crossed out, when it’s in the RHDN download it’ll be removed.  Speaking of downloads…

Download here: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3147/
My MEGA mirror, most times this will end up updated first.  The file you want is CTBugfix: https://mega.nz/#F!OI91hCTb!07Tsx9_auVpG1ksRFUDgsA
Canoe compatibility patch: https://mega.nz/#!6Z8FQLiI!0KzlOCdTtS8PRiiMp0sJFyMP2fxRlcNNkZoGWAf0_Is

Script inconsistencies:
-Frog's accent forgetfulness is still around in a couple of spots.  These will be dealt with in time.

Wrong wording/localization errors:
-Bashers are actually named as Dalton's subordinates, which would fill a slight hole for those questioning his role in the kingdom.  Daltonite from the DS translation fits this fine, but the question is what to do with Thrasher?
-There's also a good reason for changing the name of Bugger to Mouser, because it only hunts the Rats.  There's kind of a theme with the naming though.

Spelling/grammar/text overflow errors:
-Ocean Palace has an indent or two.  I can't seem to find them at this current time.
 -There appear to be some random indents in Magus's lines at the first meeting.  Not sure quite how to handle this one yet, but it appears to be the product of something I cannot fix.
-Frog, enough said.  I know a lot are against changing him and besides Cross’s accent machine does similar, so most of this will be optional.  I'm slowly going through his text to make sure things use the correct tense as-is, however.
-Give me a holler, I’m sure there are plenty I’ve missed.

Bugs in the original game:
-If you're crafty, you can break sequence in the Giant's Claw sidequest.
-So far the biggest ones have been dealt with.  If anyone has any others let me know!

Idea pit:
-A very small enhancement pulled from Plus: perhaps an optional patch that lets Gems work without needing to be equipped after the first time?
-MSU-1/PS1 FMVs: I’ve said this before, it’s planned but it’ll be here when it’s complete.  You will not be able to just patch the FMVs over mine, I can tell you this for certain.  Pardon my french but just don’t bring it up until I do.
-Frog and the Middle Ages around him.  Big discussion of that subject starts here and on: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25303.msg349270#msg349270
-In the Prehistoric party, I want to make Crono's second choice after the first "no" to Lucca match the lines in the first theme-wise.  This is reaching back to things Axiphel had shown me; I had originally thrown it out for not quite being in the same direction I had wanted.  Not sure what to do here yet.

Any really pressing bugs like text overflows will be fixed immediately, but largely I plan to work a while towards a big release instead of pelting the staff with lots of little ones.  Also, if you know anything about compatibility with other patches tell me.  I’ll stick it in the readme.  Currently I've only got Chrono Trigger Platinum, but I'm wondering if any other difficulty hacks are working.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:04:37 pm by Chronosplit »

Atrushan

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 12:24:06 pm »
I was always pretty sure Frog called Slash Sir Slush on purpose, as well as Masa and Mune's personalities.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 12:52:36 pm »
The issue I have with Frog and the way he speaks is that it's inconsistent with everyone else in his era.
Either everyone in that era should speak like him or he should speak like everyone else.

For the parts where it is unsure what the intent was it is usually best to look at the Japanese script for reference.
(Personally, I'd rather scrap the localization for a more accurate script + plus a a lighter-handed localization where absolutely needed. That's out of the scope here, though.)

What is Hurricane supposed to be?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 01:52:10 pm »
I was always pretty sure Frog called Slash Sir Slush on purpose, as well as Masa and Mune's personalities.
Frog and Slash have more of a rivalry than general dislike and the joke doesn't really happen, I'm not sure yet how to handle this just yet (I want to keep the joke in though).  Masa and Mune themselves are fine, just that one scene always sounded like there was a shift out of nowhere to me.

The issue I have with Frog and the way he speaks is that it's inconsistent with everyone else in his era.
Either everyone in that era should speak like him or he should speak like everyone else.

For the parts where it is unsure what the intent was it is usually best to look at the Japanese script for reference.
(Personally, I'd rather scrap the localization for a more accurate script + plus a a lighter-handed localization where absolutely needed. That's out of the scope here, though.)

What is Hurricane supposed to be?
I've been mulling over that point with the rest of the Middle Ages.  Redoing all of 600AD in the same way as Frog is no small potatoes, but there is definitely a good reason to do so!  The way I'm looking at it things wouldn't be too obnoxious (I hope).

Yeah, a total retranslation isn't quite what I'm after.

Hurricane believe it or not is a "Killer Ice Pick."  I'm thinking the idea lies in where you buy it.  Selling mountain climbing gear to people stranded on a snowy mountain is sound, but the closest idea I have to resolve this is to call it Avalanche.

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:43:44 pm »
I haven't the slightest idea what 'Hotfix 2: Zanmato in liberties was listed as Zanmato.' is supposed to be.

As to Killer Ice Pick,  was thinking 'Killer Icesickle' or 'Killer Icesicle' or some variation thereof 'sicle' / 'sickle'.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 03:56:09 pm »
I haven't the slightest idea what 'Hotfix 2: Zanmato in liberties was listed as Zanmato.' is supposed to be.

As to Killer Ice Pick,  was thinking 'Killer Icesickle' or 'Killer Icesicle' or some variation thereof 'sicle' / 'sickle'.
Mistyped and staff merged two hotfixes.  One was Marle screaming for CronoNick on accident, the other was that in Name Liberties Zanmato was Tomato Zamato.

Ice Sickle actually fits the limit.  Not bad in the punny sort of way, and Axiphel has also given me a couple of ideas along with some stuff I may mention later (Death Pick, Ice Scythe, IcyEmbrace).  If I do that it'll be in Name Liberties.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:06:34 pm by Chronosplit »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 04:15:55 pm »
So it sounds like the idea here is an ice pick modified for battle.
Normally what I do is look at equivalent real world weapons for inspiration.
In this case that would be the horseman's pick.
Looking through to other related weapons and tools you also find the Pick-axe, Mattock, and Ice Axe.
The Ice Axe is aka an Ice Pick.
You could go 3 ways.
Ice Pick; emphasizes it as a tool.
Ice Sickle; emphasizes it as a weapon. (As a side effect it also sounds like icicle.)
Pick Sickle; sounds like a utility weapon, but loses the ice climbing motif.

personally, I like Ice Sickle the best.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 05:49:38 pm »
Axiphel just gave me a ton of work just now including things I didn't catch, so give 'em a big hand!  Quote from the PM because there is so much:
-Full name decap.
-Character dialogue no longer indented after first line.
-All awkward dialogue stutters have been replaced with hyphenated stutters. N-neato!
-Made 'item get' and item upgrade messages more consistent. Now 'Obtained item!' and 'Item upgraded! in all places.
-Sealed chests and doors now use the same 'Sealed by...' wording instead of slightly altered variations of the same line.
-Changed battle message strings to read better. Instead of 'Chrono's level up!' it's now 'Chrono leveled up!' among other changes.
-A few (like 2 or 3 maybe) of Ayla's lines were SLIGHTLY altered to be more consistent with her speech pattern. Some of her lines were much too proper like 'What's wrong, everyone?' is changed to 'What wrong, guys?'
-Queen Zeal's mention of the 'Dark Omen' has been replaced with 'Black Omen' to be consistent with the rest of dialogue. {1C3} Black Omen 99F Seat of Agelessness for your reference.
-Magus refers to the Ocean Palace as Undersea Palace in one instance of dialogue. There are no other instances of Undersea Palace so this was changed to Ocean Palace in his dialogue.
-The two kings are now known as '21st King' and '33rd King' in the 'Guardia Throneroom (Ending: Moonlight Parade' scenario to differentiate between their dialogue.
-Changed 'Pre-historic' time to 'Prehistory'
-I redid 2 of Robo's lines in {179} Reborn Epoch scenario. They were copy/pasted of Lucca's lines referring to missing money and changed controls.
I don't remember the original lines exactly but they were word for word what Lucca said if you want to change them back     
-New Robo lines: 'A calibration of the controls may be necessary!'
                 'Our money is missing!'

Don't expect an update just yet (I need to redo the optional patches due to the first two points and I do have other things on the burner), but rest assured that it's going to be huge when it hits.

personally, I like Ice Sickle the best.
I think I'm leaning towards this too.

EDIT: If you're wondering what this is going to look like, here's a quick screenshot from me:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:16:34 pm by Chronosplit »

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 06:30:38 pm »
HP to 1 fix: This uses some free space at 0x00F2F0 that Temporal Flux ignores. Change 0x019A41, 0x01A050, and 0x01A298 to FC, 0x0199C2 to 22 F0 F2 C0 EA, and 0x00F2F0 to AD FC B1 09 02 29 FE 6B.

I didn't recommend this in theGreatBen's topic because he'll eventually be using that space for other purposes.
Mauron wuz here.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 07:26:52 pm »
Quick note for later: Bike Race Fix and Johnny Jackpot might not be usable with the next update for the same reason as why I need to redo the optional patches.  I'll be inserting them later.

HP to 1 fix: This uses some free space at 0x00F2F0 that Temporal Flux ignores. Change 0x019A41, 0x01A050, and 0x01A298 to FC, 0x0199C2 to 22 F0 F2 C0 EA, and 0x00F2F0 to AD FC B1 09 02 29 FE 6B.

I didn't recommend this in theGreatBen's topic because he'll eventually be using that space for other purposes.
Added.  Thanks much!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:07:17 pm by Chronosplit »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 10:00:18 pm »
He's right, I've been cramming so much content into the game that the lights dim when I load the rom

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 10:32:21 pm »
It's mostly that the 8th character patch stores the modified portrait data in that space, and my plugins use that to identify its existence. There's no other free space I can guarantee, so I'd need either 6 bytes between 0x10000-0x1FFFF, or 8 bytes anywhere else in the ROM added to Temporal Flux's custom data.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 06:20:18 am »
It's mostly that the 8th character patch stores the modified portrait data in that space, and my plugins use that to identify its existence. There's no other free space I can guarantee, so I'd need either 6 bytes between 0x10000-0x1FFFF, or 8 bytes anywhere else in the ROM added to Temporal Flux's custom data.

That is definitely worth saving space for

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 09:51:02 am »
I'm not surprised that Plus weighs a ton.  The new bugfix UPS is already around twice as big as in RHDN due to the fact that almost every line has now been changed in a minor way. :P

(Also, Happy Thanksgiving to America.)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 10:45:14 am »
So is this becoming more of a liberties thing? I like the idea of going towards a "Woolsey Uncensored Edition" version of Chrono Trigger. Adding in the FMVs will be awesome.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 02:22:48 pm »
So is this becoming more of a liberties thing? I like the idea of going towards a "Woolsey Uncensored Edition" version of Chrono Trigger. Adding in the FMVs will be awesome.
In a way it is, some things will differ (bugfixes aren't optional for example), but it's ultimiately the same goal.

Name Liberities will still exist either way, though honestly I may transfer Ivory Edge and Diva Flea over to the main patch at some point.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:54:42 pm by Chronosplit »

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 02:39:06 pm »
So, does this in a way replace ManuLove's project now or are his script fixes separate?

Also a preference thing, I loved the names of the monsters like Defunct and Deceased. They all started with D and all were named with dead in mind. I know one IS a Skeleton but I always found it funny.
Same with Spin Cut instead of Cleave. Frenzy IS better than Confuse though.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 02:57:00 pm »
This will fix many lines his left behind for whatever reason.  I don't know if to say replace is the correct term as some may not enjoy my additions, but I will keep towards a direct upgrade from it so to speak.

The thing about the sword techs is that Cyclone was actually Spincut, so it may have been an error.  So Cleave is a better wording for it.  Doubt I'm changing that one, sorry!

I'll keep the undead enemies in mind.  Defunct+Soul=Departed sounds okay, you have a really good point about that.  Maybe I'll change them back, I'll look at it later.
EDIT: All undead things reverted except for Soul.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 12:15:25 am by Chronosplit »

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 09:11:00 pm »

Ice pick? What? No. It's a hook or piton, and comes from the German 'Haken'. More than that, the Fiendlord's weapons are all scythes and sickles. A Killer Hook fits that theme just fine. An ice pick does not.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 09:35:26 pm by Kiyoshi Aman »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 12:28:10 am »
Ice pick? What? No. It's a hook or piton, and comes from the German 'Haken'. More than that, the Fiendlord's weapons are all scythes and sickles. A Killer Hook fits that theme just fine. An ice pick does not.
That... actually makes a lot more sense, I was kinda wondering why it wasn't any kind of scythe weapon.  :banghead:

KillerHook does fit just fine in that case.