News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch  (Read 26240 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2018, 07:17:50 pm »
It's all updated in the mega a while ago, thanks a lot to you both!

June 09, 2018, 11:16:37 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Chicken Knife's cleared his game, and I can now say with utmost confidence that we are 100% consistent between versions.  Now, for the future... hopefully not a thousand years into the future.  :laugh:

The plan right now for me is to take a break, and let IRL take it's course while I possibly get a playthrough of Chrono Cross or Dragon Warrior 1/War of the Lions in the hole for research purposes on the next step.  At the time I return we're going whole hog on the Frog/Middle Ages project, until the point of time when MSU-1 is ready.  Then I will come back to these patches to get started in making those addons (yes, they'll be addon patches because Canoe can't MSU-1.  The Canoe Fix won't be bothered by this at all), and we'll consider the fate of Liberties extended as addons then as they might become main patches to make the folder less cluttered.

In case you're wondering about no stars: I've done my tests, things don't look positive in condencing down the number of patches.  I frankly don't feel like anyone wants to see a whopping 18 patches total with No Stars in the addon folder, as opposed to only the 6 I would need to make for the FMVs now.  Yep, that's how it looks.

Thank you all so much, it's been a fun ride through to ~95% completion.  Yeah, that's the tally I give it.  5% is what's left.

June 10, 2018, 09:48:25 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Wait, one last minute thing... looks like in my haste making 5b I failed to notice that Rock Helm and Shine Helm were switched.  So SkyDark and SkyDark+Name Liberties has been corrected.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:49:35 am by Chronosplit »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2018, 10:52:41 am »
A quick talk about what's on the docket now, it'll be some time before I can get to working in earnest again, but writing down the plans is a good way to coordinate.

Middle Ages: Alright, we've danced around this a lot.  With everything consistent it's finally time to go full steam ahead on this.  I plan on tackling just 600 AD first and seeing how this goes; I know everyone has a different opinion on this whole thing (I know full well what I'm getting into) so by doing it more gradually as a beta I can get feedback and bugs will be addressed quicker.  I still have plans to improve both 600 AD and Frog, don't worry.

To speed things up this will not have an addon option for the current patches.  We're still going for the completely different database entry, as frankly no one wants to do a whole era and major character six times and expect it to be flawless.  As for which version to use as a base, I'm still deciding between Bugfix Alone and SkyDark.  The latter will make things easier on me as it means less addons to make (I plan on doing a single patch and optional addons setup for liberties and the like), and will make a "Masamune to Grandleon" patch less of an issue.

Side note: I don't know if the Canoe Fix needed updating at 5c.  Can anyone confirm?  I don't plan on doing anything else in the (immediate at least) future so this would be the last for real update of that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:00:27 am by Chronosplit »

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2018, 09:15:04 pm »
So I get this straight, the middle ages English hack would be standalone but then all your current bugfix options could be applied on top of it? Sounds like the right approach if it's all compatible.

Also, I'm curious what your vision is for changing Frog. I was under the impression that everyone else would end up sounding like Frog and that he would simply fit right in.

I'll be on it with feedback as soon as you launch your first beta

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2018, 12:15:06 am »
So I get this straight, the middle ages English hack would be standalone but then all your current bugfix options could be applied on top of it? Sounds like the right approach if it's all compatible.

Also, I'm curious what your vision is for changing Frog. I was under the impression that everyone else would end up sounding like Frog and that he would simply fit right in.

I'll be on it with feedback as soon as you launch your first beta
Yep, completely standalone.  It'll be one or two main patches (hopefully) with various addons containing the rest of the options available like Liberties and a patch that shifts the Masamune to Grandleon (along with Masa and Mune to Gran and Leon).  They won't be in the beta though.

Of Frog himself, there was an idea that Digitsie brought up earlier of a localization trick for making Frog still stand out for various character reasons: The Middle Ages would play similar to Frog's normal speech, but Frog would end up being even more archaic.  I'm still coming up with the nitty-gritty for that, but it was theorized that a more archaic Frog would come off similar to Vagrant Story or Slattery's Final Fantasy Tactics at times (but not always).  This I'm probably going to end up either making into a second patch or an addon; the reason being that some I realize just want everyone talking the same like Ayla and the Prehistoric Era, and he may end up becoming less readable to some (a common worry about these sorts of things, another reason why this whole thing is standalone).

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2018, 02:47:18 am »
What do you want me to check in Canoe Chronosplit? Last thing I checked was you said you had the shine helm as the rock helm but you changed it back and that took effect. Are you saying that now the shine helm and stone helm have switched places?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2018, 09:28:11 am »
What do you want me to check in Canoe Chronosplit? Last thing I checked was you said you had the shine helm as the rock helm but you changed it back and that took effect. Are you saying that now the shine helm and stone helm have switched places?
Rock Helm and Shine Helm are in their proper places, yeah.  Same as in the rest of the versions (and CT in general).

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2018, 05:56:44 pm »
Thanks for clarifying your concept for revising Frog's script. I'm glad you're keeping it separate as I thought Woosley already stuck a fine balance between it being both archaic and readable. Push that bar further toward the former and the effect may be alienating. I think there's a way for his personality to stand out dramatically without him speaking English from a different era. Wouldn't that ultimately leave us with the same feeling of inconsistency?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2018, 06:20:14 pm »
Thanks for clarifying your concept for revising Frog's script. I'm glad you're keeping it separate as I thought Woosley already stuck a fine balance between it being both archaic and readable. Push that bar further toward the former and the effect may be alienating. I think there's a way for his personality to stand out dramatically without him speaking English from a different era. Wouldn't that ultimately leave us with the same feeling of inconsistency?
Point noted.  If I feel things go to far on the Frog disconnect no matter what I do I may just trash it, we'll see what happens.  For inconsistency: yes and no.  Yes in that because he uses a different tone he would stick out at times.  No because a) original text has Frog speaking in a different tone in the first place, b) if done successfully things would be more subtle in differences.

That said 600 AD is the main aim here, second place are minor things in the era like addressing Slash.  As for the Mystics themselves, I am still somewhat conflicted of what to do with them yet (because Magus is being left alone obviously, I'm most likely going to leave most Mystics alone) but I know I want Slash more towards the original since I'm in the era and looking at Frog's speech anyway (his childhood will be made consistent in both).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:27:42 pm by Chronosplit »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2018, 07:24:43 am »
What are you doing with Slash?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2018, 12:02:52 pm »
What are you doing with Slash?
To put it short, Slash's going to be less "kill everybody" and Frog's going to be less "make fun of his name."  It's going to be more towards the original rivalry, possibly a compromise in parts.

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 24, 2018, 04:33:28 pm »
Hey Chronosplit regarding whether the rock and shine helm were switched in Canoe, I just realized the rock helm is +5 higher then Shine Helm, so in Canoe they are switched still. I think it will require another update from pimpinelephant.

*edit*
Nvm we're all good, even though I was getting an error message saying the patch didn't work while using Beat, pimpinelephants latest update 6 works with your latest patch and Shine helm is now above Rock helm in defense as it should be. So even though Beat gives an error message when patching the Canoe fix, it still works. Not sure if this is the case when using other patching programs.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:17:02 pm by teahouser »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 24, 2018, 06:40:22 pm »
Oh, I see!  Thanks for the info then.  Maybe I'll stick that in the readme in a bit.

teahouser

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 24, 2018, 07:38:40 pm »
The changes you have instore for 600AD are right up my alley, super excited for your work  :beer:

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2018, 08:48:36 pm »
Thank you!

Welp, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... no, no we're not dead.  Just delayed longer.  I was hoping to begin working again in some small way, and then my AC started to crap out.  I know that this is personal stuff, but it pertains to my working on the hack because I can't keep the computer on for too long of a time under these conditions and I need to focus on IRL activities with it; as bad luck always happens at the same time the hottest week of the year's incoming.  Don't worry about me, I'll be fine.  Just be aware that no work's really going to happen until further notice for the safety of my big machine which has crappy cooling methods.  I'll be able to keep in touch with here a little via mobile stuff at least, however.  A solution to all this garbage is in the works.

No work's been lost, everything's intact here.  That said, once I get back there's going to be an update to the main patches before the 600 AD Beta.  Why?  Because I'd rather get these things out of the way so I don't need to do them extra to the beta later.  Honestly, really small stuff:

-In the Winged Epoch's control explanation, you're told to press Y first.  This is obviously not correct.
-Inside of Lavos, one of Frog's lines is without accent.  I'll need to tend to this anyway.  Frog's childhood will be kept unaltered in the main patches, at least for now.
-In Arris Dome, The person telling you to stay off of Death Peak should be mentioning it's importance.
-Lucca still mentions laboratories at Arris Dome.  Not sure if to redirect this to the Ruins just gone through or Trann Dome yet.
-In at least one version, the text box when you open the chest with Valkyrie in the hero's tomb has a space between Valkyrie and the exclamation mark.
-I need to check the Dragon Tank Manual in SkyDark just in case.
-I need to make a decision about what to do with AmpliFire/Amplifier.
-Triple Raid learned display bug (possible misalignment, hopefully forcing TF to re-save the name will fix this).
-Something something drinking game.
-Lookover with Toma and his drinking.  Most likely should tend to this before 600 AD.
-Hero Medal needs to be capitalized in the king's line when he's injured in bed.  Hero itself is wrongly decapitalized in a couple places in the 600 AD castle too.
-Taban may be missing a comma or two in Lucca's House.  Same with Masa and Mune after the first battle.
-Dornio Inn's uncensoring can be slightly improved, I think.

-Debuggest>Debugger EX (or something similar).  It should be more like a Debugger Plus, and stealing from the DS version seems to fit just fine.  Also, since the Proto line has version numbers it's only fitting that we treat this as an upgraded machine as well.  This has some stakes in the previous point; if I revert Amplifier in some patches, Debuggest may also get the same treatment.

-Various indent cleaning:
 -Truce Canyon Portal's got a line with an indent.  Actually no, this isn't a line break.  But I'll be tending to this anyway.
 -It looks as if there is a one-space indent on the Zenan Bridge battle, but I need to make sure.  It could just be the font.
 -Ocean Palace has an indent or two.
 -There appear to be some random indents in Magus's lines at the first meeting.  Not sure quite how to handle this one yet.
-The line before the CronoNick prompt appears to either have a line break, or it's a case like Truce Canyon.

After this, there may be at least one update after the beta.  It depends on if I feel like some changes need to be "ported over" or not.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:03:05 pm by Chronosplit »

Apex

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2018, 09:32:55 am »
New member here, specifically transitioned from lurker to poster just to ask this question. Can someone please help me get this mod running on my SNES Classic? I've been trying for multiple hours the other day using all different configurations of CT roms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I have done so far.
1. I've taken my Chrono Trigger (U) rom (made sure the crc matched the one listed in the snes classic compatibility spreadsheet)and patched it with the BugFix+SkyDark+Names bps patch using Flips. I saved that file as file 2.

2. I then ran file 2 through Flips and patched it with ctfix_1a(update3) which I downloaded from the mega link on the 1st page of this topic. I received an error stating that this patch isn't for this game. I read up that I should ignore that and that Flips still patches it(?) So, that's what I did.

3. I then added the game using hakchi 1.25 CE w/ SFROM Tool installed. I changed the preset ID to 11B0 and SuperFX to 00, 30, and 03. When set to 00 and 30, the game would boot up to the point where Chrono needs to get out of bed and then it would black screen. When set to 03, the game would fail to boot.

Furthermore, by using Rompatcher.js, I was able to conclude that the reason why the canoe compatibility patch won't patch properly is because none of the rom's checksums match up. I've had maybe 4 or 5 different roms so I really don't know what's up and am beyond confused.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 03:06:05 pm by Apex »

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2018, 10:03:49 pm »
Apex: I can't speak for the whole process but just a couple things: the patch you are using from page one of this thread is old. The way I would find the updated patch here on romhacking.net is going to search > games > chrono trigger (snes) > hacks > bugfix & uncensoring. Here is a link though: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3147/ 5c is the up to date version. That's only a small part your issue but I hope it helps. Btw, I was a lurker for years on here too until not too long ago so welcome :-)

Chronosplit: I love the list of items on your agenda. Your gonna have me replaying this game forever, but loving it more each time. ;-)

Hang tight with the coming weather and no AC. I'm in the NY / NJ area and the next week is an absolute killer.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2018, 04:56:29 pm »
Latest compatibility patch was made for 5b, of which the only change between that and 5c was a minor switchup in helm names.  I've been told in earlier posts that older versions of Beat should patch the compatibility patch fine when the versions don't match, even though there's a notice.  I don't really know much more as I myself can't test Canoe, sorry!

Hang tight with the coming weather and no AC. I'm in the NY / NJ area and the next week is an absolute killer.
Thanks!  I'm only halfway melted right now. :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:53:24 pm by Chronosplit »

Cthulhu88

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 07, 2018, 12:16:26 am »
Hey man, I've been using your patch for a long time now and combining it with some simple difficulty patches make the game even better (something I didn't think possible without a remake).

But one thing always puts me off playing Chrono Trigger post Magus... Steal.
If you are an OCDer like me and want all the rare items and capsules, you are stuck with the overpowered and brain dead dialogue Ayla (mah independent strong woman).

I've seen in another patch that they put the contents of the steal list into the drop list, making her not so absolutely necessary.
Any chance you could do the same as an optional patch, and maybe rework steal into something else?

Regards.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 07, 2018, 10:07:33 am »
Hey man, I've been using your patch for a long time now and combining it with some simple difficulty patches make the game even better (something I didn't think possible without a remake).

But one thing always puts me off playing Chrono Trigger post Magus... Steal.
If you are an OCDer like me and want all the rare items and capsules, you are stuck with the overpowered and brain dead dialogue Ayla (mah independent strong woman).

I've seen in another patch that they put the contents of the steal list into the drop list, making her not so absolutely necessary.
Any chance you could do the same as an optional patch, and maybe rework steal into something else?

Regards.

I doubt that's really covered by the scope of this hack, but switching out Cure or Cure2 for Charm in Marle's tech list would be a wonderful little hack.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 07, 2018, 01:37:24 pm »
Naaaaah, I don't think that's within the scope.  Interesting idea though.  I wonder if you could even attach the steal effect to a weapon, like a Thief Bow or something?