News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania Bloodlines/Vampire Killer (Genesis) text & graphics editing  (Read 1092 times)

spiffy

• View Profile
I'm currently making a cosmetic hack for Castlevania Bloodlines/Vampire Killer that corrects a few small textual errors, namely reverting 'Elizabeth Bartley' in the intro sequence to 'Elizabeth Bathory' and 'Alcarde Spear' to 'Alucard Spear' on the player select screen.

So far, I've managed to change 'Bartley' to 'Bathory' in both Bloodlines and Vampire Killer (good thing the latter is entirely in English!), but I can't for the life of me locate the text or graphics data for the player select screen. Apparently, Konami used a unique compression routine for its Genesis games during this period, so I was wondering if anyone who has any experience with said routine or dealing with compressed graphics in general could help me out here?

With help, I may also be able to make optional patches that restores Eric's original feminine features in Bloodlines and/or reverts 'John Morris' to 'Johnny Morris' for the sake of completeness.

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
Re: Castlevania Bloodlines/Vampire Killer (Genesis) text & graphics editing
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 03:45:30 pm »
There's a tool which can handle this compression format but I don't know how to find the data offsets.
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1029/