News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Where did Atari 2600 hacks go?  (Read 528 times)

stavrossk

• View Profile
Where did Atari 2600 hacks go?
« on: November 17, 2017, 02:45:23 pm »
Hello, where did Atari 2600 game hacks go? Were they removed from the website?
I'm asking because I remember a few months ago that there were quite a few hacks for Atari 2600, I even downloaded and played some River Raid hacks.

Thanks,
Stavros

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Where did Atari 2600 hacks go?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 07:08:12 pm »
Just checked the platform, 2600 is completely absent when you change the platform dropdown.  Huh.

I'm sure most projects you're looking for can be found on another 2600 site though if you look.  Hacking and homebrew for it's been around forever and has it's center in other places IIRC.

stavrossk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 07:25:25 pm »
@Chronosplit Thanks for the reply. For me the 2600 platform is not absent in the dropdown, it just has 0 entries.

Thanks for the tip, just found out a few other sites that have Atari 2600 hacks to download. They aren't as convenient as RomHacking.net, but they are ok for my needs.

Regards,
Stavros

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 12:44:00 am »
@Chronosplit Thanks for the reply. For me the 2600 platform is not absent in the dropdown, it just has 0 entries.

Thanks for the tip, just found out a few other sites that have Atari 2600 hacks to download. They aren't as convenient as RomHacking.net, but they are ok for my needs.

Regards,
Stavros

If other sites have 2600 hacks to download, please submit them to RHND. That is how this works. They don't appear here unless you submit them.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 06:31:26 am »
If other sites have 2600 hacks to download, please submit them to RHND. That is how this works. They don't appear here unless you submit them.

Maybe, but if he remembers there being a bunch on RHDN which are no longer there, that's a cause for concern. Where did they go?

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »
There are literally hundreds if not thousands of Atari 2600 hacks over at AtariAge: graphical hacks, bugfixes, hacks to support a second button (typically on a Genesis controller), PAL > NTSC conversions, bankswitch conversions, etc.

I have a ZIP file that has over 50 different hacks for Adventure alone as of 2010.

stavrossk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 02:16:40 pm »
I have a ZIP file that has over 50 different hacks for Adventure alone as of 2010.

Wow, that's a lot of hacks, AtariAge has only 13 for Adventure.
Could you upload to RomHacking.net if it's not too much trouble?

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 02:17:14 am »
I don't think I've ever seen a patch for a 2600 hack.  That's probably why they're not here.

I've only ever seen 2600 direct downloads for the hacked rom. Sometimes they were finished long ago, other times they were mid-progress updates on a thread at the other site mentioned that had a ton of feedback. 

I couldn't say for sure because I'm pretty new here, but I would imagine that there were never any 2600 hack patches here, or if there were they might have just been scrapped since actually having to go through the patching step is a complete waste of time on that platform, and most hackers don't even bother posting patches.