News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Homebrew, hacking and other tools  (Read 1163 times)

Razieldemon

• View Profile
Homebrew, hacking and other tools
« on: November 15, 2017, 04:25:01 pm »
Like so many I have bigger ambitions than my skill set allows for. So I know it will take time to build on these skills... so I want to chart a path that makes sense instead of running into too many dead ends.

Ultimately what I do want to do may or may not be possible. The bigger projects are to introduce Zero into Mega Man X and Mega Man X2, adjusting hitboxes, using unique skill sets and changing dialogue boxes.

Having followed similar projects for years, I have seen many ROM hacks attempt this as well.

I'm wondering if a more efficient way to go would to assemble utilizing an engine such as the one used for Mega Man Unlimited or to begin work on understanding how roms work in general.

Last time I dabbled in this area was in palette swaps for the nintendo many years ago.

Considering no code would exist for any of these animations currently and even the physics might have to change I have to wonder if a straight up ROM hack is the right way to go or not.

Any thoughts?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew, hacking and other tools
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:05:29 am »
Ultimately what I do want to do may or may not be possible.
Many things are possible, but only through an enormous amount of work.  Even the Zero hack for Mega Man X3 was a lengthy and difficult effort.  If no one in the lengthy history of romhacking has ever done something before, then it is probably not at all easy to do.  (Or it could be that no one's thought to try it before, or that no one thinks it's interesting.)

I'm wondering if a more efficient way to go would to assemble utilizing an engine such as the one used for Mega Man Unlimited or to begin work on understanding how roms work in general.
Using a flexible engine will often be much easier than trying to get the ROM to do something new.  I see here that Mega Man Unlimited was made in the Mega Man Engine designed around Multimedia Fusion 2; such a thing sounds very easy to expand.

The principal advantage to a ROM hack is that it will potentially be playable on real console hardware, or at least on emulators designed for different operating systems.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:10:28 pm »
Adding Zero in X2 is feasible and I actually accomplished it overall on my old project. Just never got around to fine tuning and finalizing a lot of little details, but it's doable. It's one of the more annoying things to do since the X series handles it's data a bit different than other games.  It takes a lot of patience and messing around with the right code and finding empty space, etc. It's honestly just a pain in the butt.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 09:21:46 am »
At this point, since the level data for X and X2 is fairly well understood, as well as the event code of X3, wouldn't it be easier to take X3 as a base and port the levels and bosses from X2 to X3 instead?

EDIT -

Never mind, didn't realize the difference in sound engines between X and X2 and X3.  Hadn't thought of that part.

Razieldemon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:51:18 pm »
Adding Zero in X2 is feasible and I actually accomplished it overall on my old project. Just never got around to fine tuning and finalizing a lot of little details, but it's doable. It's one of the more annoying things to do since the X series handles it's data a bit different than other games.  It takes a lot of patience and messing around with the right code and finding empty space, etc. It's honestly just a pain in the butt.

Big fan of your work Justin. It's what got me thinking of taking on X2 and X1. Actually commented on one of your X2 vids recently on Youtgube because it got my creative interest flowing. Jacob Hoffman.

X1 is an oddity. I've seen a couple hacks with Zero in it but as his character doesn't have many options built into him so far I'm guessing itd probably be even more difficult to put him in there.

Though the gentleman suggesting using the X3 engine even with sound irregularities makes me wonder if that may be the best way to go to approach this.

Ultimately the sort of hacks I'd ultimately like to do are on the PS1 but from preliminary research it seems quite difficult to do. There is no where near as much support in rom hacking for PS1.

If I do I'll probably monkey with the PC variants since my main gripes are in sound files which are easy enough to fix. I've overdubbed a couple of the .avi vids and ran them with no problems.

In the Korean X6 one day I'd like to add a black zero capsule and tweak the delays between attacks on zeros sprite but that's about it.