News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Custom file formats within Playstation isos  (Read 701 times)

battleonfan1

• View Profile
Custom file formats within Playstation isos
« on: November 09, 2017, 04:07:20 am »
Hey what's up guys, It's been a while since I posted a topic. While I still consider myself a noob, I have gotten at least some experience with game hacking.

I always find it frustrating when I want to edit the files of a PS1 game only to find out that it has a strange file extension.
One example of this is the PS1 game Toy Story 2 which is the sole reason why I wanted to get into hacking.
Every model that appears during gameplay has two files that are attributed to it ".ALL" and ".ANM"
I have theories as to what these files do. I assume that .ANM is some kind of animation data.

Here is my question.
What are the first steps towards interpreting and converting this data into a more reasonable format?
Keep in mind I am still a noob and am completely lost as to where to go once I have extracted the contents of the iso.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time  ;)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom file formats within Playstation isos
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 09:49:17 am »
I did some searching and it does not seem there has been much work done in this area.  http://resource1794.rssing.com/browser.php?indx=25090807&item=6378 suggests that the PC version uses the same files, and it might be easier to work with the PC version, at least initially.

Aside from that, it's a lot of fumbling around in the dark.  What's a "more reasonable format" to you?  Would you recognize model data if you saw it?

Maybe you can open the file up in a hex editor, see if there are any recognizable patterns, and then see if the models change in-game if you start making changes.  If the data is compressed, or if the program uses checksums somewhere to validate the contents of its files, then you will have more headaches.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!