News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Adding sound clips to a SNES rom  (Read 265 times)

Goblingil

• View Profile
Adding sound clips to a SNES rom
« on: November 04, 2017, 06:13:41 am »
Howdy folks, I was looking for some advice for my first romhack project. As part of my mod, I'm looking to add voice clips to Link To The Past. When I first had my idea, I naively thought "oh, this will be easy, just swap out existing sound clips!".....LTTP doesn't use sound clips. it uses channel sounds. they added the voice clips in the GBA remake, and the hacking utilities for LTTP don't allow for dropping in sound clips. so I figure I need to do it the hard way, and hex edit my way to glory. but I was hoping to gauge just how difficult such an undertaking might be before I jump into it. I want to make sure I know what to focus on, or if what I want to do is even possible.

optiroc

• View Profile
Re: Adding sound clips to a SNES rom
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:55:58 am »
Doing it as an MSU-1 hack would be rather easy. Going the “native” non-expanded cartridge route is definitely not trivial... Fitting speech in S-SMP RAM is tricky, especially if you don’t want to interrupt the regular music playback.

MSU-1 is probably your best bet.

Goblingil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:28:19 pm »
could you elaborate some on what that means, or at least, how I can find out more about the process?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 09:24:44 am »
Think of the MSU-1 as a custom "chip" like the SuperFX.  It enables the Super NES to easily play sound samples.  (This is a a relatively recent development used mainly in emulators and some flash carts; such a thing would have been much too costly back in the 90's.)

Conker's High Rule Tail is a LttP hack that uses MSU-1.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3346/

As for how exactly you would modify a ROM to support the MSU-1, I wouldn't know.  There is surely documentation out there, though.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...