News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: The Guardian Legend - SRAM Saving Edition  (Read 937 times)

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
The Guardian Legend - SRAM Saving Edition
« on: November 06, 2017, 04:28:13 pm »
Hi Everyone! :)

I'm continuing my project to add SRAM Saving function to our beloved cult classic - The Guardian Legend. With the help from Mauron and Disch from my previous topic, SRAM Saving has been added to the game and is pretty much done! :thumbsup:

However, due to the extremely limited space in the ROM, I'm unable to add in texts on the Password screen indicating to player to either "Press A to Load Game, or Input Password". All I'm able to fit in the ROM is "Press A".

So, unless someone can help me figure out how to fit more texts on the screen, I'm stuck with just "Press A". Now, if that's all that can be done, where do you think would be a good place to put the text? Here are some ideas:

Which one do you think works best to tell the player to Press A to Load?

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated! :)

Cheers!! :beer:

8-bit fan

EDIT:
Ok, so I was able to sneak in some texts for the password screen at the expense of the box-zoom animation when you enter the screen because I needed the space in the ROM file:

What does everyone think?
Is this worth gutting the box-zooming animation at the password entry screen?

Any inputs are welcomed! :)

8-bit fan

EDIT:
Upon checking the game more, removing that set of instructions screwed up the saving/password screen at the Blue Lander royally:

However, I think I might have a plan B if I can get a little ASM help for MMC3 games.

I found a bunch of space used for dialog in the ROM file. Now, I can rewrite some of the longer dialogs and use that space for the text on the password screen, but I have a problem. I don't know how to 'JMP' to that area of the ROM in ASM. The instructions for the password screen is located at around 0x00C360, however, the extra space that I need is at around 0x015650.

Does anyone know what instructions I need to JMP from 0x00C360 to 0x015650 in ASM?

Any help would be much appreciated!! :thumbsup:

8-bit fan
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:19:15 am by 8.bit.fan »
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
Re: The Guardian Legend - SRAM Saving Edition
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:11:43 pm »
I think the middle one looks the best.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:14:42 pm »
I think the middle one looks the best.
Thanks Ar8temis008 for the input! :)
Yeah, I thought the middle one would stand out the most to the player too.
Really wish there were more space in the ROM so I could put in more instructions.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

8-bit fan

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 05:30:48 pm »
Is it possible to simply make "load" a third option, on the title screen? I'm guessing that the idea is to make everything more uniform, with your other SRAM hacks, but I think in this case a separate "load" option would work best.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 05:57:53 pm »
Is it possible to simply make "load" a third option, on the title screen? I'm guessing that the idea is to make everything more uniform, with your other SRAM hacks, but I think in this case a separate "load" option would work best.
Hi w1ck3d! :)
Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:
Yeah, I'm definitely open to that idea and would be totally up for it but I think that would require some series ASM coding and I wouldn't have a clue to where to start. On top of that, there's very limited space in the ROM so that might be another issue as well. But, if you have any ideas, I'm all ears! :)

8-bit fan

November 06, 2017, 09:12:23 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok, so I was able to sneak in some texts, at the expense of the 'box zoom' animation because I needed the space in the ROM. This is what I can do:

What does everyone think?
Is it worth removing the box-zoom animation when you enter the password screen?

8-bit fan
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:12:23 pm by 8.bit.fan »

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 10:19:01 pm »
That's perfect. Does exactly what it's supposed to do with very minor losses, as well as generally improve an already great experience.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 12:16:01 am »
That's perfect. Does exactly what it's supposed to do with very minor losses, as well as generally improve an already great experience.
Thanks Ar8temis008!
However, upon checking the game more, removing that set of instructions screwed up the saving/password screen at the Blue Lander:

However, I think I might have a plan B if I can get a little ASM help for MMC3 games.

I found a bunch of space used for dialog in the ROM file. Now, I can rewrite some of the longer dialogs and use that space for the text on the password screen, but I have a problem. I don't know how to 'JMP' to that area of the ROM. The instructions for the password screen is located at around 0x00C360, however, the extra space that I need is at around 0x015650.

Does anyone know how to JMP from 0x00C360 to 0x015650 in ASM?

Any help would be much appreciated!! :thumbsup:

8-bit fan

November 07, 2017, 05:26:12 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok found a work around...
I disabled the option to 'check password'. I think that part is expendable.

8-bit fan
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:26:13 am by 8.bit.fan »

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 03:25:12 pm »
What's left to do, if you've gotten the game to save properly?

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 03:37:37 pm »
What's left to do, if you've gotten the game to save properly?
Hi Ar8temis008!
Just to give it a little more polish, and I'll need to play through the game to make sure it works entirely. :) What did you have in mind?

I also want to add SRAM Saving for The Guardian Legend Secret Edition hack. I'll need to check if my ips work with that hack first. If not, I'll create a separate one for it. :)

Cheers! :beer:

8-bit fan

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 04:48:38 pm »
Hi Ar8temis008!
Just to give it a little more polish, and I'll need to play through the game to make sure it works entirely. :) What did you have in mind?

I also want to add SRAM Saving for The Guardian Legend Secret Edition hack. I'll need to check if my ips work with that hack first. If not, I'll create a separate one for it. :)

8-bit fan
Just curious if you were planning on making any smaller changes like you did with Battle of Olympus.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 04:52:17 pm »
Just curious if you were planning on making any smaller changes like you did with Battle of Olympus.
Ahhh...gotcha. :)
Nah, Compile shooters are pretty perfect as they are so I'm not about to muck with the gameplay or the AI. If I do make any changes to a game like TGL it'll be something like the Secret Edition hack with brand new levels, etc.

Ar8temis008

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 10:05:23 pm »
So, I don't know if this is a good way to ask but what are you planning on doing next? You did Guardian Legend, Goonies 2, and Battle for Olympus. Metal Storm would be cool with sram, as well as Ufouria saga. Honestly my mind is just racing with the possibilities. I've wanted hacks like these for as long as I can remember.

Ziko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 09:28:10 pm »
Can this work with Optomon's Secret Edition hack? I'd like to play that with SRAM as well. It's a much harder game than the original one.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 10:42:03 pm »
This hack unfortunately does not work on Mesen.  :(

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 03:20:25 pm »
So, I don't know if this is a good way to ask but what are you planning on doing next? You did Guardian Legend, Goonies 2, and Battle for Olympus. Metal Storm would be cool with sram, as well as Ufouria saga. Honestly my mind is just racing with the possibilities. I've wanted hacks like these for as long as I can remember.
Hi Ar8temis008!
Thanks for the suggestions!
I'm actually working on adding SRAM Saving to Clash At Demonhead right now, and hope to have that ready soon. But yes, it's as you mentioned, I'm actually going through the list of NES games with LONG passwords and upgrading them to SRAM one at a time. Thanks for bringing up Metal Storm and Ufouria! I'll add those to my "to do" list as well. :)
Can this work with Optomon's Secret Edition hack? I'd like to play that with SRAM as well. It's a much harder game than the original one.
Hi Ziko!
I just released a version for Secret Edition yesterday! Feel free to check it out and hope you enjoy it! :)
I had to re-convert the hack to MMC5 because I couldn't get MMC3 conversion working for Secret Edition, and I needed the conversion to update the mapper in order to add SRAM Saving to it. ;)
This hack unfortunately does not work on Mesen.  :(
Hi darthvaderx!
Thanks for bringing that to my attention!
Hmmm...interesting. I'll take a look at this when I have time to see if I can fix this. But I've checked the game on other emulators including the original NES/AVS hardware via an Everdrive, and they all worked without any problems. But thanks again and I'll take a look later. :)

8-bit fan

MattyXB

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 11:21:54 am »
Quote from: 8.bit.fan
I'm actually working on adding SRAM Saving to Clash At Demonhead right now, and hope to have that ready soon. But yes, it's as you mentioned, I'm actually going through the list of NES games with LONG passwords and upgrading them to SRAM one at a time. Thanks for bringing up Metal Storm and Ufouria! I'll add those to my "to do" list as well. :)Hi Ziko!

Hello, thx for your work, I like SRAM hacks for old NES games and want to play them hopefully someday again.
Did you have "The Magic of Scheherazade" on your list. Was always a game for me, which need SRAM function. It feels like an old Adventure which just miss SRAM. I looked again in the Password function and it looks also very long.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 06:31:46 pm »
Hello, thx for your work, I like SRAM hacks for old NES games and want to play them hopefully someday again.
Did you have "The Magic of Scheherazade" on your list. Was always a game for me, which need SRAM function. It feels like an old Adventure which just miss SRAM. I looked again in the Password function and it looks also very long.
Hi MattyXB!
Thanks for your comments! :)
Ok sounds good! I'll put that on the list of to-dos as well! :thumbsup:
I actually recently just checked out the game and thought of the same thing, that an adventure game like this could use a Saving system instead of a Password. Games that involve more stats and items with long passwords are higher on my list of to-dos, so this one should be bumped up. Thanks for bring this to my attention!

8-bit fan