News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Does anybody know how to edit the Super Mario Bros. (NES) BGM?  (Read 264 times)

Xasurak

• View Profile
Does anybody know how to edit the Super Mario Bros. (NES) BGM?
« on: November 04, 2017, 03:50:14 pm »
Hello!

So because i was bored and started to make my first NES romhack of Super Mario Bros. (Super Boris Bros.) and i really want to change the BGM.
Problem is that i didnt find any helpful guide or an easy way to edit the music. Can someone give me a hand and help me out?
(Also, i mostly dont have any experience in this. So this is new for me.)

Thanks!

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
Re: Does anybody know how to edit the Super Mario Bros. (NES) BGM?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 02:55:33 pm »
Yes, I know how to hack the background music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIh47uk1Hjw

What do you want to replace it with?

We might as well get the 3 Ghosts out of the way: what's your prior music experience (if any), approximate IQ, and how eager are you to make this project happen?

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 02:02:07 am »
Have you seen w7n's music hacking guide yet? This document is the easiest to understand out of the rest. https://www.romhacking.net/documents/630/

November 17, 2017, 07:00:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
approximate IQ,

Umm... Does it really count?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:00:50 pm by Eden.GT »
Can't I just be treated like a normal person? People react too easily these days.

Dr. Floppy

• Restricted Access
  • Make America GREAT Again!
    • View Profile
    • BaddestHacks.net
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 03:05:17 pm »
Umm... Does it really count?

Yes. The 3 Ghosts of Hackmas matter, whether we want them to or not. Prior music experience (Past) will grease the skids when dealing with terms like "quarter note", "F-Sharp five", etc. IQ (Present) is the best indicator of how quickly a person picks up and retains new concepts. Motivation (Future) is the final determinant in how likely a given project is to succeed.