News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Newbie debugging help for SNES  (Read 149 times)

edale

• View Profile
Newbie debugging help for SNES
« on: November 04, 2017, 01:00:27 am »
Hi, I'm trying to find the specific RAM address FFIII (VI) US rev 1.0 uses to identify which area's map to load.

Thanks to tools like this: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1238/

I know the native values for each map, but what I don't know is how to use a debugger to find the area of RAM I need to monitor for those values.

I tried playing with the debugger in BSNES-plus, but couldn't figure things out.

If there's a debugger for SNES that would work similar to Cheat Engine (where I can go to a location in-game, do a search for that locations value, go to another location, search the results of the last one for ones that match the new value, and so on and so forth until I have the exact RAM location identified), that would be ideal. But I don't really know how debuggers for SNES work.

For reference, I'm helping the main hacker of the FFVI Dancing Mad MSU-1 mod (my help has primarily been on the audio side of things). Insidious needs this RAM address to fix a few of the bugs that have popped up, and has been having trouble (and/or not enough spare time) tracking it down, so I wanted to try and help. (none of the existing RAM maps we've been able to find have the location we're looking for listed)

November 05, 2017, 02:18:08 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
OK, playing around with stuff myself, it turns out Snes9x's cheat search function works almost exactly like a less user-friendly version of Cheat Engine. I was able to locate the RAM address rather easily with it.

It looks like the RAM address is 7E0082, though Insidious still needs to check it out to verify that's what he needs (I've got a list of a few other addresses it could be if that's not the address, but that's the only address to properly give the value of the worldmap).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:18:08 am by edale »