News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Technical][NES] Outlanders  (Read 1910 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
[Technical][NES] Outlanders
« on: November 03, 2017, 01:51:39 am »
Looking for a willing ROM hacker to insert the already English translated script, and perform necessary tasks to ensure all Japanese text appears in English, for Outlanders for the Famicom/NES.

English translated script and some notes available here: http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Outlanders
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:34:22 pm by filler »

Pluvius

• View Profile
Re: [Technical][NES] Outlanders
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 05:54:37 am »
Now that I've reached a point where I feel safe in saying that it will be done, I am claiming the hacking job for this game.

You missed some text in your search, but the only major omission was the intro screen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2ake2zffv5wcjr/Outlanders%20%28Eng%29-0.png?dl=0

Once that's inserted, I'll just have to find time to playtest and make all of the little modifications to text positioning and menu windows that I know will be necessary.  I imagine it'll probably be done within the next month.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 11:44:47 am »
 :woot!: Woohoo! What a wonderful surprise. Thanks so much for tackling this. Based on how the text is stored, it can't have been the easiest thing to do. Looking forward to seeing this released. :)

EDIT: I just realized, do you need someone to translate that intro?

Pluvius

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 12:01:54 am »
:woot!: Woohoo! What a wonderful surprise. Thanks so much for tackling this. Based on how the text is stored, it can't have been the easiest thing to do. Looking forward to seeing this released. :)

It actually wasn't that hard once I came to the realization that I could use the space formerly occupied by the text for the code necessary to redirect the text to the expanded banks.  The hack is an ugly copy-paste patched up with push-return-address-to-stack tricks, but it works.  The way the text is split up is actually a lot more annoying and is what's going to require most of the work going forward.

EDIT: I just realized, do you need someone to translate that intro?

I would be much appreciative.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 07:11:02 am »
I remember looking at this game years back and said fuck that. Legend of the River King also uses the same setup as does the original Dragon Ball game. Good luck.

I do remember Pocket Zaurus using the same setup, which my friend DvD hacked. He hacked the game to display 2 lines per string by hijacking the dakuten row.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:42:38 am by Pennywise »

Pluvius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 09:42:47 pm »
I do remember Pocket Zaurus using the same setup, which my friend DvD hacked. He hacked the game to display 2 lines per string by hijacking the dakuten row.

I changed a dakuten control code to a line break to allow for an arbitrary number of lines per string (usually 2 or 3).  The text window is big enough to where this shouldn't present any major problems aside from having to move text around.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 09:52:54 pm »
Best I can tell I didn't dump the intro since it uses fixed length text with diacritics on the preceding line, and I guess we either overlooked it once Eien's translation was done, or I misplaced it somewhere.

At any rate, I have a PHP script I use to dump text like that now, so I've dumped and translated the intro.

I'm posting it here publicly to give Eien ni Hen a chance to provide feedback on the translation, or re-translate if preferred. If there is no feedback in a reasonable time, I'd say this should be fine.

ちきゅうはぎんがていこくのこうげきをうけた。
The Earth has been attacked by a galactic empire.
てつやとていこくのおうじょカームはおたがいのほしのへいわのためにけっこんをけつい。
Tetsuya and the empire's princess Kahm decide to marry for the sake of their planets' peace.
カームのちちこうていのゆるしをえるためにていこくにのりこんだ。
Afterward, Kahm marches on the empire to get her father, the emperor's permission.
しかしてつやはとらわれカームはつれさられてしまった。
However, Tetsuya is imprisoned and Kahm has been taken away.
きみはてつやとなってカームをすくいこうていのゆるしをえるためにいまたちあがった。
You, as Tetsuya, have just taken to your feet to aid Kahm in acquiring the emperor's blessing.

Pluvius

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 03:07:26 am »
Thanks!  Fits in there quite snugly.

Eien Ni Hen

• You entitled girlfriend!
    • View Profile
    • Desert Bus Translations
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 06:45:50 pm »
ちきゅうはぎんがていこくのこうげきをうけた。
The Earth has been attacked by a galactic empire.
てつやとていこくのおうじょカームはおたがいのほしのへいわのためにけっこんをけつい。
Tetsuya and the empire's princess Kahm decide to marry for the sake of their planets' peace.
カームのちちこうていのゆるしをえるためにていこくにのりこんだ。
Afterward, Kahm marches on the empire to get her father, the emperor's permission.
しかしてつやはとらわれカームはつれさられてしまった。
However, Tetsuya is imprisoned and Kahm has been taken away.
きみはてつやとなってカームをすくいこうていのゆるしをえるためにいまたちあがった。
You, as Tetsuya, have just taken to your feet to aid Kahm in acquiring the emperor's blessing.

Looks great to me!  :thumbsup:
Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans... and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 09:35:29 pm »
Looks great to me!  :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Thanks!  Fits in there quite snugly.

I forgot to mention, nice job fitting that in there. It looks great. Sounds like we're good to go.

Pluvius

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 06:41:38 am »
Welp, after a few days of playtesting and tedious little hacks, it's done.  If you or Eien want some notes in the readme, I'll be writing it up and submitting everything tomorrow morning or thereabouts.

BTW, I don't recommend anyone actually play this game, at least not without cheats.  It's very obviously programmed by Micronics.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 02:17:32 pm »
Welp, after a few days of playtesting and tedious little hacks, it's done.  If you or Eien want some notes in the readme, I'll be writing it up and submitting everything tomorrow morning or thereabouts.

Wonderful! I don't have much to add. If you'll credit myself with dumping the script and some additional translation I'll be happy.

BTW, I don't recommend anyone actually play this game, at least not without cheats.  It's very obviously programmed by Micronics.

Heh, on that note, I read on a Japanese site (https://www25.atwiki.jp/famicomall/pages/23.html) that entering the password "ざ" (za) will give you max stats. If that's the kind of thing that might make this game more tolerable, it might be nice to determine what character "ざ" is in this translation, and mention the cheat in the readme.

Pluvius

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 09:59:33 pm »
Heh, on that note, I read on a Japanese site (https://www25.atwiki.jp/famicomall/pages/23.html) that entering the password "ざ" (za) will give you max stats. If that's the kind of thing that might make this game more tolerable, it might be nice to determine what character "ざ" is in this translation, and mention the cheat in the readme.

From what I can tell, that password would break the game pretty badly, since you have some items and abilities that you couldn't possibly have without other things that you don't have.  But looking at the password reminded me that I hadn't tested the game in Nestopia, which revealed a differing behavior between that and FCEUX (which might have also manifested when playing on real hardware) that I needed to fix.  So that's a serious bug averted anyway.

September 26, 2018, 11:49:57 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The submission was rejected due to a crash on the first dialogue box.  Could anybody look at this for me?  I want to make sure it's not something weird on my end.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2ayv87rwfgr2f6/outlanders.bps?dl=0
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:49:57 pm by Pluvius »

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 10:11:32 pm »
FYI: I missed this message since it didn't indicate that there was a new message on this board. I confirmed that the patch works in Nestopia, but I was able to reproduce the crash in FCEUX 2.2.2. Pluvius confirmed that it works in the latest version of FCEUX (2.2.3), as it relies on bank-switching not supported in earlier versions.

It appears that this has been resubmitted to include the stipulation that earlier versions of FCEUX are incompatible with the patch.