News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Help Changing Zelda A Link to the Past's subtitle on the title screen  (Read 217 times)

darcoza

• View Profile
Hi all, I'm currently working on putting this hack on an actual cartridge for my daughter as a present:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2796/

It is a link the past with a sprite swap so you can play as zelda instead of link.

I've been trying to figure out how to get the title screen to say the name of the game is "The Legend of Zelda: Zelda's Quest" or something like that to match the custom label I'd like to make for the game and help distinguish it from the standard cartridge I have of the game.

I haven't had any success with the tools. So I wondered if anyone might be willing to help me change the subtitle for the hack? I'm not sure how big a deal it is, I'm hoping it's just swapping a few hex values, like for some NES title screens.

I just think the game deserves it's own special title to set it apart from the original, and I'm a little OCD about having the cartridge art match the title screen art...

Thank you!
Darcoza

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
Re: Help Changing Zelda A Link to the Past's subtitle on the title screen
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 06:35:34 am »
What want you to change?

The "1991, 1992 Nintendo"  :-X

Thanks

red

darcoza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 07:57:53 am »

I would like to change the part in the above picture that says "A LINK TO THE PAST" to "ZELDA'S QUEST" if possible.

Me_Dave

• Romhacking Psychoanalyst
    • View Profile
    • Kid Klown's KrazyNES
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 08:51:24 pm »

I would like to change the part in the above picture that says "A LINK TO THE PAST" to "ZELDA'S QUEST" if possible.

Your best bet would be to use the program from RHDN to decompress the Graphix open the Graphix file with YYChar make changes and then reinsert them back into the game with your changes,
the program is self explanatory in it's readme I just did it and I've never hacked a SNES games graphix's before.

Just don't put anything over THE "THE" part "Because it is Mirrored" like I did at first you just have to remove it or at least I did.

Zcompress - Zelda 3 Compression Tool
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/91/

Another tip is instead of naming the uncompressed part .Bin name it .SMC makes it easier for editing in Yychr.
You have to use the command line but this works for windows 7 just create two separate .Bat files.

Extract or Well decompress
zcompress 0 Zelda.smc Graphix1.smc

Reinsert
zcompress 1 87200 zelda.smc Graphix2.smc

if you noticed I renamed it after having edited it with YYchr.

YY_CHR.NET
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/958/
YouTube Channel
Kid Klown's KrazyNES
Twitter
Ever feel like you need a Romhacking Psychoanalyst My Office hours are 2pm to 2pm.

darcoza

• View Profile
Re: Help Changing Zelda A Link to the Past\'s subtitle on the title screen
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:00:54 pm »
Oh my gosh thank you so much! That was super helpful, I think I've got it figured out now how to edit the subtitle. It's too bad they mirror the "THE" now I've got to figure out a clever subtitle that has "THE right in the middle of it and makes sense...

Thanks again!

November 10, 2017, 08:40:28 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-xyPT-6JMy0QzcI-4Uft0xljlD2DCLJB
Here is my first attempt. A few letters seem a little squished and I'm not super happy with the resulting subtitle but it's better than nothing. I may try to remove the A to give more room for the other letters and see how it looks. Maybe I can come up with a better one.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:41:06 am by darcoza »