News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Left Scrollable Super Mario Bros. 1?  (Read 385 times)

Ben Boldt

• View Profile
    • Fun Projects
Left Scrollable Super Mario Bros. 1?
« on: November 02, 2017, 07:37:41 pm »
I am just curious, has anyone ever produced a left-scrollable version of Super Mario Bros.?  For example, hacking SMB3 with levels and graphics from SMB1, giving it the ability to scroll left?  I kind of dreamed of finding the Game Genie code for that when I was a kid.  hahaha

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Re: Left Scrollable Super Mario Bros. 1?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:00:48 pm »
I don't know, but I think Super Mario Bros Deluxe had that feature.

Nevermind, it has a bit of backtracking but it was apparently limited.
Sleepy's tune of the week: Degiheugi - Opening Credits - https://youtu.be/dGZmQQ8YDkk

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:12:31 pm »
SMB DX only gives you the illusion that you can move left beyond the screen because of the GBC's smaller resolution. Because the camera is "zoomed in" you can move left, but only as far as how much that "border" would of progressed in the original NES version.

I'm sure someone out there has made a SMW hack with SMB1 levels, since everyone and their mom are making SMW ROM hacks and there are like over 9000 of them now.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:37:25 pm »
There are a few emulators or indeed OS level graphics tools (think projectors/arcade style reflective screens, though there are ones which just do it for fun) which can mirror graphics if you can't do it in the console itself.

Remap the controls such that it still works and you are good.

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 10:03:55 pm »
Uhhh, no.

I think what he means is that he wants the freedom to move backwards in the levels. Because in SMB1 you move forward toward the goal (right), but an invisible "wall" moving "behind" (left) the screen prevents backtracking.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:10:33 pm by NERV Agent »

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 10:17:21 pm »
There are a few emulators or indeed OS level graphics tools (think projectors/arcade style reflective screens, though there are ones which just do it for fun) which can mirror graphics if you can't do it in the console itself.

Remap the controls such that it still works and you are good.

Can't tell if snark or if you are seriously exhausted posting this, FAST. He obviously means a version of SMB 1 that scrolls back to the left, instead of just left-to-right.

I can't believe I've known that games are edit-able for this long, and this simple idea never occurred to me.

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 03:41:52 am »
Nintendo ported the first four levels and an underwater level to Super Mario Advance 4 and the backtracking is there. It means it "exists" technically.

...but the game isn't designed around it. Just like this forced scrolling was added as a hidden cheat in New Super Mario Bros DS and made some levels unwinnable.

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 04:04:26 am »
And there is a possibility that SMB1 levels have been recreated with Super Mario Maker and uploaded somewhere.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 06:34:21 am »
This SMB1 ROM hack made by w7n allows you to go back left and right here - http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3073/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:53:18 am by mrrichard999 »
:woot!: Seeking translators for some small project work!
8x8 Icons

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 01:01:36 pm »
It lets you scroll back up to two screens or 'pages' it says...curious what the coding was for it. I mean, if you told me I'd probably have a droplet of drool form on the side of my mouth and go glassy eyed, but I am still curious anyway.

NERV Agent

• View Profile