News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Famicom Wars (translation project)  (Read 6634 times)

Freestate

• View Profile
Re: Super Famicom Wars (translation project)
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 01:44:47 pm »
I'm ready for testing, i'm a big fan of advance wars on nds.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 08:51:58 pm »
Red Star is officially "Orange Star" in the international localizations, but I guess you don't have to change that if you don't want to.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 01:45:10 am »
Red Star is officially "Orange Star" in the international localizations, but I guess you don't have to change that if you don't want to.

You mean officially censored.

http://advancewars.wikia.com/wiki/Orange_Star
Trivia
In the Japanese iterations of Advance Wars Orange Star is known as "Red Star". It was revised to "Orange Star" for Western audiences so as to avoid any relation with Communism.

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 11:20:37 am »
While I based the translation on Advance Wars nomenclature, it actually never even crossed my mind to pick "Orange Star" over "Red Star". Not only do I personally prefer the original name, but there's also the fact that units, icons and UI elements all reflect the currently playing army's color.

There's some hairier details regarding unit names ("A-AIR" is renamed, for example, since in SFW you also have the "Anti-Air Artillery"). All significant departures from AW lingo, of which there aren't many, will be detailed in the README.

PersianImm0rtal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 11:49:01 am »
This is so awesome! I love the SNES Rom Hacking community! You guys are all amazing, and will go down as video game legends of history for generations. Just think that 500 years from now people may still be playing your ROM hacks and translations, so good job!

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 07:12:26 pm »
The first public release is imminent now, so I started preparing some comparison GIFs.

Unit Info Window
I put quite some effort into polishing this one, and also lifted the 0-99 stat display cap to three digits so you can see the actual stats of levelled up units.

HP Overlay / Fast Move Mode
New font for the digits with improved legibility. Actually this displays one of 6 sets of digits tailored to different circumstances in the game.

Unit Info Screen
One of two really tough screens to perfect.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 08:20:27 pm »
It looks really amazing!

Surely will be worth the waiting for this one :)

moltke

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 05:09:45 am »

Long time fan and follower of the romhacking excellence but registered almost exclusively to offer support and appreciate for this work on Super Famicom Wars. Really excited to try out and help if I can. Great work, everything is looking fantastic!

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2017, 01:56:55 am »

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2017, 11:41:14 am »
Great job to every member on this patch hacking work! :angel: It's nice to see that stat display cap being lifted, a so strange design decision (Probably programming difficulties-related?) and I think the more legible text look nicer (And you said there are 6 different sets of fonts being used around. Wow. :o)

Seeing as the thick font in title screen in this new patch has not been edited, are you looking into updating that in the foreseeable future? I'm sure DackR has created his own sample for this situation. So perhaps you could contact him. I'm sure he'll be glad to help you out.

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2017, 02:37:27 pm »
Great job to every member on this patch hacking work! :angel: It's nice to see that stat display cap being lifted, a so strange design decision (Probably programming difficulties-related?) and I think the more legible text look nicer (And you said there are 6 different sets of fonts being used around. Wow. :o)

Thanks for your kind words!

The stat display is kind of strange, but the layout only makes space for two tiles per stat so it’s understandable. Without any support for dynamic tiles in the original engine, and the tile set being absolutely filled with kanji (to the point that in some places they use sprites to add some extra characters!), they “did what they had to do” I suppose.

Seeing as the thick font in title screen in this new patch has not been edited, are you looking into updating that in the foreseeable future? I'm sure DackR has created his own sample for this situation. So perhaps you could contact him. I'm sure he'll be glad to help you out.

Are you referring to the title screen logo? It’s possible we’ll change it for the “20th Anniversary Edition”, but only if I or someone else manage to come up with something that looks better than the original. It’s being worked on, though!

Fluxrez

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2017, 02:56:12 pm »
Just slapped this on my SNES Classic and played through a map.  Excellent work.  Truly an awesome holiday gift. :woot!:

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2017, 04:51:47 pm »
The wording feels kinda odd on the Road tile info.  It doesn't really use the plural form like in the Sea or Plain description, so "offer" doesn't sound quite right.

Other than that, nothing immediate.  Great to see this finally translated!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 05:01:04 pm by Chronosplit »

moritasan2040

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2017, 04:03:35 pm »
This is amazing, Optiroc! Just in time for me to add it to a late-Christmas-gift Super NES Classic. :D

One problem I noticed, tho, is the use of "PUSH Start" on the title screen. There's a reason Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe always go and change that to "PRESS Start" when they release English versions of games. PUSH is what you do with the tip of your finger (like pushing a button on an elevator), while PRESS is what you do with the flat of your finger (like pressing down with your thumb, in this case a button on a controller).

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 06:03:29 pm »
This is amazing, Optiroc! Just in time for me to add it to a late-Christmas-gift Super NES Classic. :D

One problem I noticed, tho, is the use of "PUSH Start" on the title screen. There's a reason Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe always go and change that to "PRESS Start" when they release English versions of games. PUSH is what you do with the tip of your finger (like pushing a button on an elevator), while PRESS is what you do with the flat of your finger (like pressing down with your thumb, in this case a button on a controller).

I can see where you come from here, but this is one old "arcadeisms/japaneseisms" I've loved since childhood and decided to use, well aware that "press" is more correct in some sense. It In my early builds there were lots more of those and you should thank Lee "Main Writer" Hyde for pushing for the removal of most of them. :D

"PROTO TANK GET!!" for example...  :woot!:

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2017, 01:53:35 am »

I was not even aware of a difference. Just one of the many words in English that are so similar that even many native speakers would probably use them interchangeably without thought.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

narb

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2017, 06:38:16 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their hard work.  I was not sure if we would ever see this translated.

Thank you!!!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2017, 08:47:32 pm »
I ran into a small instance where the menu selections in game were replaced by terrain names.  After I moved the cursor they changed back.

Not sure if I can reproduce this at all though, it happened at random and hasn't happened since.

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 02:31:44 am »
I ran into a small instance where the menu selections in game were replaced by terrain names.  After I moved the cursor they changed back.

Not sure if I can reproduce this at all though, it happened at random and hasn't happened since.
Aha! I encountered the same bug when running on a real SNES once, actually. Never managed to get to it again so I thought it may have been my hardware acting up (the cartridge connector has seen better days, and the text rendering buffer is in cartridge RAM). But now I at least know that it’s a software bug!

Hopefully I’ll be able to track it down. Thanks for the report!

karulg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2018, 05:02:17 pm »
Starting playing it on my 3DS today. I think colors, design and animations (spupplies, capture towns) look much better then the GBA/DS Versions.

I miss some feartures from the newer games, but still very fun to play. Thx for that translation.