News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Famicom Wars (translation project)  (Read 2396 times)

optiroc

• View Profile
Super Famicom Wars (translation project)
« on: October 31, 2017, 06:24:02 am »
As I've alluded to here and elsewhere since 2012 or so, Super Famicom Wars is a game I've tinkered with on and off. Mostly off, obviously, and when DackR showed some progress last year I thought that I'd finally be able to play this game in english soon and throw my own work out the window.

But when his progress and/or motivation seemed to wane after the initial progress with the compression system, I felt the urge to pick up the pieces of my old research again. With the help of some awesome reverse engineering tools built by my compatriot in this project – which will be released together with some write-ups soon enough – we've made great progress during the last few months.

So now I think it's time that we came out of the basement with this project! The release plan looks something like this:

• Closed beta (in progress)
  • First public sneak peek (now!)
  • Video of the translation running on real hardware (very soon)
  • Wider beta testing
  • Translation patch release 0.x - 1.0
  • Full write-up and tools/source release
  • Super Famicom Wars: 20th Anniversary Edition (2018.05.01)

So without further ado, here's the first screenshot batch of our project!

(Edit: After posting I realized that the window border shadow got trashed by the latest changes to the tile allocation system. Fear not, that is under control! ;))
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 06:48:28 am by optiroc »

GHANMI

• View Profile
Re: Super Famicom Wars (translation project)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 08:58:31 am »
Wonderful.
Thanks a lot for making this translation finally!

Freestate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 05:15:18 pm »
ouhh yeah

Da_GPer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:40:30 pm »
Wouldnt it make more sense to rename the translation to Super Nintendo Wars? Just a thought, ya know.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 08:13:16 pm »
Wouldnt it make more sense to rename the translation to Super Nintendo Wars? Just a thought, ya know.
Not exactly as it seems, because Famicom Wars is still named that in the fan translation. :P

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 05:07:45 am »
Naming is an interesting topic. There are several perspectives in this case:

If the game would've been officially released outside of Japan in the 90s – which of course was a non-starter since it's a 1998 SNES game – I'm sure PR would have cooked up something completely different than the [Console] Wars scheme. Also, we're talking about the 'tude era here so Xs and Zs would certainly have been squiggled on the white board...

Or they could have gone the Sim City / Tetris Attack route and incorporated some well known trademark in the localized title. Wario Wars is the dream scenario here, but we're still a few years off from Wario's prime, so Mario & Luigi Wars maybe (Red Star and Green Earth have their colors, so we're golden!). Pikachu could helm Yellow Comet and as for Blue Moon... Meta Knight?

Bottom line is that Super Nintendo Wars would have been an unlikely title at the time.

Anyway, in Advance Wars fan circles this game is firmly established as Super Famicom Wars. And since I don't aim for a full on "hypothetical of the era localization" Super Famicom Wars it is.

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 09:39:10 am »
Whee! I'm so happy to see that a proper translation patch of this game is being brought about!

With the help of some awesome reverse engineering tools built by my compatriot in this project...

... With the help of some awesome reverse engineering tools built by my compatriot in this project – which will be released together with some write-ups soon enough – we've made great progress during the last few months.

So is that compatriot the same DackR who was working on his own project or likely a different person?

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 10:00:47 am »
Whee! I'm so happy to see that a proper translation patch of this game is being brought about!

Indeed! At this point I'm confident that there's nothing stopping us from finishing this project. I didn't want to go public with it before that point, since there's so many failed attempt at translating this game. A "hilarious n00b trap" as someone called it elsewhere on these forums. (:

So is that compatriot the same DackR who was working on his own project or likely a different person?

Nope, we're both coming to this from outside of the translation/rom hacking scene – from the swedish demo scene actually. The resurrection of this project was sort of a funny coincidence: we're both attending a regular pub night for old demo sceners in Gothenburg, Sweden, and we realized that we both had unfinished SNES projects of about the same 5-year old vintage. My early research/proof of concept hacks on Super Famicom Wars and his SNES reverse engineering tools. And as there seemed to be little progress on the other SFW hacking projects we decided to pair up and give it another shot.

breakin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 10:30:29 am »
I am the compatriot. When I started out with SNES hacking I thought it would be fun to reverse engineer Zelda to find out how it was done. I started a tools-based approach and had just verified that the tools was working; I was learning more and more. But then I found out that someone else had already done the reverse engineering that I wanted to do and I just lost the will the finish the reverse engineering and the tools. In retrospect it should be obvious that Zelda was already cracked wide open :) But the tools were there and when we started working on Super Famicon Wars they worked on the first attempt. I've improved them ever since and I am currently making them ready for a github release.

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 05:45:00 pm »
Looks lovely.

Glad to see progress on this game, it always seemed to be a...problem for hackers who would otherwise want to do a "simple" game.

But nothing's ever simple, eh? ;)

Fluxrez

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 01:57:36 am »
This looks FANTASTIC.  I coincidentally just yesterday started looking into this game.  I will be counting the days until a release.   :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:55:29 am by Fluxrez »

lionhats

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 05:50:05 am »
Oh my it's finally happening!!

This looks fantastic, woke up to a great surprise this morning. I don't have much in the way of hacking skills but if you need testers etc I'm here!

Can't wait!

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 09:13:08 am »
Looks lovely.

Glad to see progress on this game, it always seemed to be a...problem for hackers who would otherwise want to do a "simple" game.

But nothing's ever simple, eh? ;)
Yeah, I guess that’s me when I first looked into this game. “How hard can it be?” – well, not completely trivial it turns out. So maybe hackers have deemed the bang/buck-ratio too low and chose to either go for simpler games, or games with more appeal in this space (ie. RPGs).

There’s some mythical screen shots floating around from the early 2000s of a translation by David “MakoKnight” Mullen. They look quite neat – anyone have any information on that project and/or the author? 

Edit: Oh. I searched around a bit and found this in the notes for a Bomberman GB3 hack: “This translation is dedicated to the memory of David "MakoKnight" Mullen, the man who brought us a translated version of this game.”
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:23:00 am by optiroc »

leogame

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 06:48:33 am »
Yeah, I guess that’s me when I first looked into this game. “How hard can it be?” – well, not completely trivial it turns out. So maybe hackers have deemed the bang/buck-ratio too low and chose to either go for simpler games, or games with more appeal in this space (ie. RPGs).

There’s some mythical screen shots floating around from the early 2000s of a translation by David “MakoKnight” Mullen. They look quite neat – anyone have any information on that project and/or the author? 

Edit: Oh. I searched around a bit and found this in the notes for a Bomberman GB3 hack: “This translation is dedicated to the memory of David "MakoKnight" Mullen, the man who brought us a translated version of this game.”

According to the links I found, that project never completed.

leogame

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 06:56:37 am »
As I've alluded to here and elsewhere since 2012 or so, Super Famicom Wars is a game I've tinkered with on and off. Mostly off, obviously, and when DackR showed some progress last year I thought that I'd finally be able to play this game in english soon and throw my own work out the window.

But when his progress and/or motivation seemed to wane after the initial progress with the compression system, I felt the urge to pick up the pieces of my old research again. With the help of some awesome reverse engineering tools built by my compatriot in this project – which will be released together with some write-ups soon enough – we've made great progress during the last few months.

So now I think it's time that we came out of the basement with this project!

I've registered purely to say thank you for this and express my huge interest.

Advance Wars is my favourite game of all time (in 30+ years of gaming).  With the release of the SNES Mini Classic, I've been adding obscure ROMs to mine and Super Famicom Wars is a game I literally played for the very first time last night.  I played for hours, despite only knowing a minimum of Japanese (and a lot of Advance Wars!).

So I'm very excited by the prospect of this patch.  If you need anyone to help, please just let me know!  And all the best in the meantime.  It looks great  8)

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 11:32:37 am »
(...) from the swedish demo scene actually. The resurrection of this project was sort of a funny coincidence: we're both attending a regular pub night for old demo sceners in Gothenburg, Sweden (...)

Guys,

Thank you so much for this. Really!
And... Sweden, oh lovely Sweden. I have been there 3 times already.
But I know only Stockholm, Malmö, Karlskrona and Ronneby.
Oh my, how I love that huge park in Ronneby.
Could live there forever!

C.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Shiryu

• No Surrender, No Retreat.
    • View Profile
    • Shiryu Music
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 11:42:44 am »
Fantastic job! Looking forward for a public released, count on me to spread the word when it's done. :thumbsup:

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 05:00:06 am »
Thanks for the kind words!

At this point there's pretty much only the in-game help system and a round of optimizations to the font rendering/DMA system left on the TODO list. Also, I'll hook up my SNES and test on real hardware this weekend. We'll see how that goes (it's not like I'm using ZSNES for emulation/debugging so hopefully there shouldn't be any issues)!

November 11, 2017, 09:16:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Some super dry footage of me testing on real hardware (just before friends came over for PvP action so I got cut off, probably for the better!).

youtu.be/esCEfSp6FmA
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:16:14 am by optiroc »

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 03:59:35 pm »
Some super dry footage of me testing on real hardware (...)
youtu.be/esCEfSp6FmA

Sire,

Thank you soooo much.
Thanks thanks!
Fantastic work!

C.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

optiroc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 12:09:55 pm »
The tile renderer and DMA system are now pretty well optimized, and I’ve polished a lot of the graphics and names/descriptions.

Left to do is writing and layouting the help viewer, fixing a little bug in the hidden “sound park” mode and reprogramming the title screen.

Also, here’s a call for more beta testers! If anyone have a nice end-game save, or is willing to put in the hours to get one, please PM.