News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Technical][PSX] Need a VWF for Xenogears  (Read 1002 times)

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
[Technical][PSX] Need a VWF for Xenogears
« on: October 26, 2017, 03:48:48 pm »
I need someone to apply Gemini's VWF hack to the game's main font. Knowing assembly language and how to use armips is necessary. It is also necessary to know how to use the command-line tools made by SadNES cITy Translations to extract the files from the CD (in Disc 1, the font is in folder 1, file 0028). I really, really need a small, better-looking font. Originally, the main font is fixed width and each letter is 8 pixels wide, even the "l", "f", and "i". Spaces and punctuation marks are also 8 pixels wide. It looks terrible and takes up too much screen space. This may not seem significant for the dialogue, but it's significant in the menus, and in battle. Because of this font, items, equipment and skills are limited to 12 characters. Enemy names are limited to 13 characters and their techniques and explanation are limited to 28 characters.

I want the font to look exactly like in the screenshots Gemini took. I don't think the special characters (á, à, â, ï, í, ì...) are necessary though. But I'll definitely need the pointy brackets ("<" and ">"), which were almost not used in the official translation.

Once the font's completed and ready for insertion, send me the file via email. Or post it somewhere where I can download it.

Edit: Now I'll need the special characters (ä, ë, ï, ö, ü...). There was at least one German word in the game that absolutely needs a diacritic character, and the word is "Cäsar" (the letter C of the German alphabet). "Casar" is another word from another language with another meaning ("to marry").
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:45:50 am by Almagest »
Currently working on: Xenogears Script Revision + Term Corrections
My ROM hacking blog: https://almagest712.blogspot.com/

GHANMI

• View Profile
Re: [Technical][PSX] Need a VWF for Xenogears
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 10:30:35 am »
Sorry for the off-topic request, but if you could, can you rip the current monospaced main font of Xenogears for me?

Almagest

• ファーストエイド
    • View Profile
    • Almagest's ROM Hacking Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 12:50:17 pm »
Do you want it in .png format or the raw, extension-less file? Gemini's pack has it in .png format.
Currently working on: Xenogears Script Revision + Term Corrections
My ROM hacking blog: https://almagest712.blogspot.com/

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 11:57:30 pm »
I didn't realize the VWF pack came with the source files.
I'm all set now. Thanks a lot :)
I needed it to use it in a different game.