Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Poll

Which font should I use?

The FFIIUS - styled VWF (current)
22 (55%)
The FF4/5/6 Advance font
18 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Final Fantasy V - GBA Script Port (v1.14) Project Thread  (Read 9129 times)

Tzepish

• I like swords
    • View Profile
    • The Devil's Jockstrap
Re: Final Fantasy V - GBA Script Port (v1.13a) Project Thread
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2017, 01:00:33 pm »
From the readme, it looks like one of the things it does is allow for more letters in ability and item names? That could be handy.

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2017, 01:53:57 pm »
From the readme, it looks like one of the things it does is allow for more letters in ability and item names? That could be handy.
From what I can gather, it says that it allows a max length of 6 and 9 characters for spell and item names respectively... which is also the length that's used in RPGe's translation and therefore this hack (the white/black/time icon counts as a character, some spells don't use it)

121J

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2018, 03:25:00 pm »
New version (v1.14) has been submitted. Stalker is now Wendigo, and I tried to tidy up the ending poem a bit. However, the transparency issue(?) is still present in Snes9X (haven't tested in other emulators)

Squall_FF8

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy V - GBA Script Port (v1.14) Project Thread
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2018, 11:38:15 am »
Hey 121J since this project correlate with a project that I'm doing, may I ask few questions:
- if this mod require Japan ROM, does that mean you have coded all the routines?
- Are you familiar with internals - what format are fonts, font characteristics, widths for VWF and where I can find them in the ROM.
- Do you have full TBL of each font, I'm especially interested in command entries like New Page, Wait for Input, ...

121J

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy V - GBA Script Port (v1.14) Project Thread
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2018, 01:37:24 pm »
Hey 121J since this project correlate with a project that I'm doing, may I ask few questions:
- if this mod require Japan ROM, does that mean you have coded all the routines?

No, I'm not that skilled. I think the only real hex editing work I did was pointer editing for battle messages and a search and replace for changing e.g. Butz to Bartz. I used this utility, which modifies the RPGe patch. I just chose to create the IPS file from the japanese ROM for simplicity's sake.

- Are you familiar with internals - what format are fonts, font characteristics, widths for VWF and where I can find them in the ROM.
- Do you have full TBL of each font, I'm especially interested in command entries like New Page, Wait for Input, ...

Not really. Again I used the previously mentioned utility for this - it allowed me to insert images and widths for the fonts. This also came with .tbl files for the RPGe patch - by default it will generate new .tbl files upon first launch if none are detected. I was able to find a ROM map on the slickproductions wiki (I think) but the site seems to be down (i.e. I can't access it). Bear in mind the utility I mentioned is also hosted on slickproductions.